Steyr EVO 10 - does barrel color matter?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gringokid

Steyr EVO 10 - does barrel color matter?

Post by gringokid »

Hi all. I'm a forum newbie looking at the Steyr EVO10 and am seeking opinions on whether the barrel color, silver or black, matters or if one barrel color might have a slight benefit over the other. Seems to me that the black barrel would absorb light and the silver barrel might cause some reflective glare? Or would the black front sight stand out better against a silver barrel than against a black barrel? Or is barrel color just not a big enough issue to weigh in deciding? I know this question is a bit nit-picky but if you had to choose...
dontshootcritters

Re: Steyr EVO 10 - does barrel color matter?

Post by dontshootcritters »

I doubt you will have much glare as all air pistol events are inside so NO direct sunlight to be seen I would have thought. The front site I would think is black and that is the ONLY thing you should be focused on. I'll be interested to read what others have to say.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hell yes, the barrel color matters! After you have withstood the snarky racist comments at the matches, you'll begin to see the light.

Now there are some guns that come with slip-on, colored, barrel sleeves. These can be critical to obtaining maximum "horsepower".

You may want to PM Clarence Perkins, "King of Farkle", for his advanced thoughts on the subject. (Do a search)

This is a subject not to be entered into lightly, so don't rush into a purchase without thorough investigation.
MikeMargolis

Post by MikeMargolis »

Please ignore the snark of the post just above from R0v3r.

Barrel color does not matter at all.

I have a Steyr LP-10, one silver, one blue air tank.

No difference at all. All you see is the front sight.

Now the grip, that is another story. I immediately changed mine to a Rink. Best $275 you'll ever spend.

Oh, Meisterkugeln rock!
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

When you look at the back of the gun all you see is the black face of the rear sight and the black face of the front sight. The only way you will see a different color gun when shooting is if you shoot with both eyes open and no "patch" on your non-aiming eye.
gringokid

Post by gringokid »

Thanks all for the feedback, since barrel color is the only choice it kind of invites the question. Especially in a sport where a minor advantage might just contribute to a major outcome. And I've got a word for this, invented it myself, I call it a Kiesenhofer as in where there's something in a sport that is there for all to see but only one visionary competitor turns it to their advantage. I named the phenomena after Anna Kiesenhofer, the Austrian woman who against all odds defeated the entire field including the vaunted Dutch cycling team to win the Olympic road race, a race she had no business winning and she knew it, as while everyone knew that unlike in the professional cycling circuit there is no radio communications in the Olympic road race, she alone used this fact to break away early, drop the break away group and crest the last hill alone and in first place to ride to ride to victory while the peloton had lost track of her due to the absence of radio communication and celebrated like fools when they crossed the line unaware that Kiesenhofer had already won.

So yeah, kind of need to know if a silver barrel is better than a black barrel, cuz um... I'm lookin' for a Kiesenhofer.
gringokid

Post by gringokid »

Thanks Green_Canoe, kind of settles it. Appreciated.
gringokid

Post by gringokid »

Thanks also MikeMargolis for confirmation as to barrel color not important. I have a quantity of Meisterkugeln en route for my new Izzy as Gamo match won't fire.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Not so fast.......

Barrel color matters if you BELIEVE it matters. If you think your color is the coolest your pride in the gun gives you a good feeling, and we all shoot better with good feelings.......... it it a physically measurable difference, probably not, BUTyour mind is so much of the game.....
sal6781

Post by sal6781 »

The blue barrel shoots about a foot to the left and the silver barrel shoots about a foot to the right. At least that is what happens to me haha. I know. It's not the barrel color.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Whether it matters or not or what people believe (which is not necessarily true), why would you want any color other than black. Anything that has possibility to reflect light into your eye or distract is not desirable.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

gringokid wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:24 pmSeems to me that the black barrel would absorb light and the silver barrel might cause some reflective glare?
No need to worry, the color does not matter, (it's personal preference) the milled ridges on top of the shroud of the EVO10 is not only for looks, it cuts down the glare on the plane of sight.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

Lenny wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:17 am Whether it matters or not or what people believe (which is not necessarily true), why would you want any color other than black. Anything that has possibility to reflect light into your eye or distract is not desirable.
How do you figure it could reflect in your eyes? My barrel shroud is painted a glittery metallic green, but my sights are still matte black. I don't get any reflected light anywhere.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Some Korean dude shot a silver one for several seasons. While not my favorite color, my recollection was that the Korean guy used that pistol quite well, especially in those years. He even set a world record with the old style compensator and mechanical trigger, so maybe silver is the best color to own. I personally shoot better with a black or blue cylinder😁
Attachments
Screenshot_20210913-154931.png
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

McMadCow wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:11 pm
How do you figure it could reflect in your eyes? My barrel shroud is painted a glittery metallic green, but my sights are still matte black. I don't get any reflected light anywhere.
I wouldn't expect it to occur under normal conditions, but if I would need to shoot outdoors or under unusual indoor lighting, I can't discount that possibility. Considering there is no advantage in choosing other colors, why not use the optimum color for all occasions.
gringokid

Post by gringokid »

Thank you everyone for weighing in, the various opinions are well considered and appreciated. So gonna go with... wait for it... a black barrel!
gringokid

Post by gringokid »

Back again again, so ok black barrels rule except for Korean dudes. But what about the grip color? I know, it's mostly covered by the hand but what if while raising the gun a bit of the grip is exposed, would it be better if it was a dark color grip or a light color grip? And then there's my underwear, briefs for a firmer grip or boxers for freedom of movement? Ok, going away now. Thanks again everyone.
Rover

Post by Rover »

RE: your underwear. Whatever works to dissuade you from distracting "pocket pool" during a match.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

The silver jacket barrel is practical for everything. There are no scratches and minor damage, defects. It is convenient for the user, but above all cheap and easy for the manufacturer regarding the surface treatment. You can cough up the look, the look doesn't work.