Quick tip: Spotting scope home range

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tiktock

Quick tip: Spotting scope home range

Post by tiktock »

Hey,
I think lots of us shoot in our basement and i've seen some people saying they go check their target every X shots or that they set up a spotting scope.

I wanted to pass along a little tip I am using: Old baby monitor. If you have an old baby monitor, just set it up a foot or two away pointed at your target.

Mount your baby monitor device or use its phone app to pull up the video feed of the target and then shoot. Bonus is that many have a lag of 1-2 seconds so you can follow-through and then glance over and watch the shot appear on the screen. Good for shot calling.

This may be obvious but I somewhat stumbled on it when I realized my usual spotting scope wouldnt focus down close enough for 10m.
VonKasta

Re: Quick tip: Spotting scope home range

Post by VonKasta »

Thats how I do it at home, wifi camera and ipad, works great!
10m: Steyr Lp1
25m: Morini CM22RF
CF: Benelli MP90s 32WC
50m: Toz35/Vostok mu 2-3
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

I use a $25 WiFi Wyze (sp?) camera off of Amazon and it works great. It works so good I bought more and have them around the house. I just set my iPad up and can see where I hit almost instantaneously.
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

I think mine are the V2 model and now they are replaced with the V3 model which is $30. https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Indoor-Ou ... 236&sr=8-3
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

How do you mount the wi-fi camera. I have no nearby walls around the target. How much do they zoom in? I can put it on a desk 2-3 meters away. Would this work?
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Brazos wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:00 pm I think mine are the V2 model and now they are replaced with the V3 model which is $30. https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Indoor-Ou ... 236&sr=8-3
This is not a WiFi camera. It's described as wired.
VonKasta

Post by VonKasta »

emre-nur wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:30 am How do you mount the wi-fi camera. I have no nearby walls around the target. How much do they zoom in? I can put it on a desk 2-3 meters away. Would this work?
I use a camera tripod and place the camera slightly lower in front of the target.
10m: Steyr Lp1
25m: Morini CM22RF
CF: Benelli MP90s 32WC
50m: Toz35/Vostok mu 2-3
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

VonKasta wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:44 pm I use a camera tripod and place the camera slightly lower in front of the target.
+1
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

The Wyze camera is a WiFi camera though it does need an electrical outlet to plug it into as it is not battery powered. They do sell a battery powered outdoor camera for $20+ more that should work the same but haven’t tried it. Looks like the battery is rechargeable and last 6 months between charges. I use it for 10M rifle and it works great. Not worth fooling with a spotting scope and much cheaper than a spotting scope. Of course the Chinese will probably be monitoring your shooting scores.
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

Been successfully using a junky derelict android phone instead of a wifi camera for past year with great success. We all have old/broken smartphones collecting dust in drawers - repurpose and outfit with a free version of some wifi camera app like “ip webcam” or any other