Is This Trigger Shoe Legal for 10M AP?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
McMadCow

Is This Trigger Shoe Legal for 10M AP?

Post by McMadCow »

Like the title says, trying to figure out the legality of something like this for 10M AP. A few sites have this model and a similar one from Shooting Equipment. The description says can be used on a pistol or rifle, but I'm not so sure. One of the trigger shoes in question:
https://www.bulletcentral.com/product/a ... -or-green/

My confusion with this one and the model from SE, is that neither of them have the ridge on the finger pad for taking the 500 gram measuring weight. Obviously the blade will still hold the measuring weight without it, but will a pistol with one of these fail tech without the ridge in the center?
I got my LP500 in February and I'm still not in love with the factory trigger blade. The gun replaced my FWB P44, which had more degrees of adjustment, including canting the pad for the way my finger crosses the trigger. It looks like something like this replacement blade would be what I need, but I don't want to get it if it's not going to pass tech. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Rover

Re: Is This Trigger Shoe Legal for 10M AP?

Post by Rover »

Does the Range Officer tell you to "Pull your finger out!", and stop trying to buy points?
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

You heard it here, folks. Getting a personalized fit is "buying points". A REAL shooter just shows up with a Red Ryder and aces the course of fire.
spektr

Post by spektr »

There is NO requirement for a weight groove on the trigger. In fact, the weight groove is a way to end up with an illegal light trigger that passes inspection. There are pictures of Korean shooters with very long triggers with their fingers below the weight grooves which increases leverage, reducing pull weight. Those shooters are at risk of a DQ if the jury would measure them correctly....
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

Awesome, thanks for the info. For some reason I could have sworn there was discussion about weight grooves a while back, probably what you were referring to. Sounds like if I get one of these I'll need to make sure I set my weight where my fingers presses in order to stay out of trouble.
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

McMadCow wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:16 pm Awesome, thanks for the info. For some reason I could have sworn there was discussion about weight grooves a while back, probably what you were referring to. Sounds like if I get one of these I'll need to make sure I set my weight where my fingers presses in order to stay out of trouble.
No. Trigger weight is measured from the center of your trigger shoe. So if there is a groove it must be in the middle of the trigger shoe. It is very recommendable to file some kind of a groove if there isn't any - so everyone, including you puts the weight exactly in the same place and you do not need so much to add extra weight for security. After that you place your triggerfinger absolutely wherever you want while shooting.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
David M

Post by David M »

Trigger.jpg
Trigger.jpg (37.23 KiB) Viewed 2207 times
Trigger weight is measured near the centre of the trigger.
The trigger can be a single long blade (measure at 50%) or
can be made up of a longvertical trigger bar with a trigger pad.
These are measered at 50% of the pad (usually you cannot get your finger
on the bar, only the pad.
A very long trigger has no advantage as pull is the same at finger contact point.
The disadvantage is increased horizontal movement for same angle movement.

Oh,by the way.
The Red Triggers are faster, not the Blue or Green triggers.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Here's the Morini Trigger dodge.
The rule book clearly shows that the trigger will be measured in such a way as to replicate the finger position as the diagrams above show.
The Morini trigger has a notch at half trigger height, and the equipment inspectors use it......
There is a very slight secondary trigger curve where the shooters actually place their fingers.
The rule is quite specific. They are measuring the trigger where the finger is placed, not at an arbitrary notch location...
The Morini measurement notch is NOT coincident with finger placement
the Morini trigger notch should actually be placed in the center of the secondary finger placement curve that is clearly visible in the photo.
THAT is what the rule book requires, and Morini intentionally flouts the rule.
The end result of the misapplication of the measurement is that Morini pistols so equipped are setting a much lighter let off point than the rules specify.......
The prior poster stated that the finger position on the trigger does not matter. That would be correct if it was a parallelogram, but it isn't one. The trigger/ trigger bar pivots on a pin giving relative motion to release the sear. All levers, which the trigger becomes since it pivots on a single point, generate more leverage the farther you get from the pivot point. trigger pull weight is reduced as the distance from the fulcrum increases.
02-25-16-01-Morini-162MI-pistol-trigger.jpg
02-25-16-01-Morini-162MI-pistol-trigger.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
Here is a trigger manufactured to measure trigger weight coincident with finger placement.
102166_ahg_Abzugszuengel_Mod-_Sensive_2_fuer_MoriniSteyr_1.jpg
102166_ahg_Abzugszuengel_Mod-_Sensive_2_fuer_MoriniSteyr_1.jpg (5.94 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
David M

Post by David M »

spektr wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:30 pm Here's the Morini Trigger dodge.
The rule book clearly shows that the trigger will be measured in such a way as to replicate the finger position as the diagrams above show.
The Morini trigger has a notch at half trigger height, and the equipment inspectors use it......
There is a very slight secondary trigger curve where the shooters actually place their fingers.
The rule is quite specific. They are measuring the trigger where the finger is placed, not at an arbitrary notch location...
The Morini measurement notch is NOT coincident with finger placement
the Morini trigger notch should actually be placed in the center of the secondary finger placement curve that is clearly visible in the photo.
THAT is what the rule book requires, and Morini intentionally flouts the rule.
The end result of the misapplication of the measurement is that Morini pistols so equipped are setting a much lighter let off point than the rules specify.......
The prior poster stated that the finger position on the trigger does not matter. That would be correct if it was a parallelogram, but it isn't one. The trigger/ trigger bar pivots on a pin giving relative motion to release the sear. All levers, which the trigger becomes since it pivots on a single point, generate more leverage the farther you get from the pivot point. trigger pull weight is reduced as the distance from the fulcrum increases.

02-25-16-01-Morini-162MI-pistol-trigger.jpg

Here is a trigger manufactured to measure trigger weight coincident with finger placement.

102166_ahg_Abzugszuengel_Mod-_Sensive_2_fuer_MoriniSteyr_1.jpg
The Morini Trigger groove is legal.
Being a solid trigger the whole trigger is considered the trigger.
The groove is at 50% of the total trigger length.
No were in the rules does it mention finger placement.
The problem is in the defination of the "trigger".
trigger.jpg
trigger.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
"Trigger Pull Test
A weight with a metal or rubber knife-edge must be
used. A roller on the trigger weight is not permitted.
A dead weight must be used with no springs or other
devices.
The weight of the trigger pull must be measured, with
the test weight suspended near the middle of the
trigger (see illustrations) and the barrel held
vertically. The weight must be placed on a horizontal
surface and lifted clear of the surface. The tests must
be conducted by Equipment Control officials. The
minimum weight of the trigger pull must be
maintained throughout the competition. A maximum
of three (3) attempts to lift the weight is allowed. If it
does not pass it may only be resubmitted after
adjustment. When testing air or gas actuated pistols,
the propellant charge must be activated. The trigger
pull test should be conducted on the chief range
officers table or at the side of the range.
8.4.2.1"
spektr

Post by spektr »

Respectfully, I think you are missing it....... There are 2 different measurable radii Morini Trigger Blade shown. The 2 radii are of different values. The upper Radii is not for finger placement. The Lower radii IS for finger placement. Placing a measurement notch in a place other than the middle of the actual finger placement radius is incorrect. The second trigger image shows the correct location of a measurement in the middle of the finger placement radius........ ONE of these triggers is wrong. If we accept your premise that the notch goes in the middle of the trigger AND the entire length from the mounting rail counts as being the trigger, the second illustration is wrong. If we look at the rule book illustration AND accept your premise that the entire trigger length counts, then the rule book shows the incorrect location for the measurement to be taken as it does NOT consider the entire trigger length, but in fact the finger contact area.

Unfortunately for both of us, the definitive answer cannot be deduced from the rule book because it is an absolute shit piece of technical writing.
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

spektr wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:10 am Respectfully, I think you are missing it....... There are 2 different measurable radii Morini Trigger Blade shown. The 2 radii are of different values. The upper Radii is not for finger placement. The Lower radii IS for finger placement. Placing a measurement notch in a place other than the middle of the actual finger placement radius is incorrect. The second trigger image shows the correct location of a measurement in the middle of the finger placement radius........ ONE of these triggers is wrong. If we accept your premise that the notch goes in the middle of the trigger AND the entire length from the mounting rail counts as being the trigger, the second illustration is wrong. If we look at the rule book illustration AND accept your premise that the entire trigger length counts, then the rule book shows the incorrect location for the measurement to be taken as it does NOT consider the entire trigger length, but in fact the finger contact area.

Unfortunately for both of us, the definitive answer cannot be deduced from the rule book because it is an absolute shit piece of technical writing.
In morini case you don't have to watch second illustration at all. Only third. It isn't so hard...
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
David M

Post by David M »

Until you can change the rules, we are stuck with it regardless of where you stick your finger.
Finger placement is not in the rule.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

I ended up ordering the Anschutz trigger because it was from a place in the US and I didn't want to wait a month for it to arrive. I had to modify the connection point to get it to clamp down tightly, but it fits fine otherwise. I shot my P44 for 7 years and I got used to the highly adjustable trigger face, so this is a much welcome upgrade to the Walther. The fit is now very seamless and I no longer notice the trigger face pressing across my finger. The build quality is very nice and I'd recommend it as a pistol trigger as long as you're comfortable with taking a Dremel to the clamp.
Attachments
FullTrigger1Small.jpg
CloseTrigger2Small.jpg
CloseTrigger1Small.jpg