Pros and Cons of Electronic Trigger

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Re: Pros and Cons of Electronic Trigger

Post by brent375hh »

The below post showed up on the Steyr 10 Meter Pistol FB page this morning:

I need to replace the electronic board of my lp10e ( the battery leaked and is no longer working). I tried Steyr Sports which has the part in its catalogue but they kept referring me to 2 dealers in my country ( Philippines). One has closed shop years ago and the other one does not carry any steyr product in its inventory and neither is it willing to order the part for me . I informed Steyr but have not received any favorable reply. Will appreciate if any of you guys can point me to anyone might have the part. I already tried Euroshooting , Champions Choice , Kielberg and Pilkguns with no luck.Thanks a lot!!

Maybe some of you that can easily whip up a board can help him, and make a profit?
william

Post by william »

"Getting new circuit boards isn't hard, quick turnaround places will do it in days." See previous (brent375hh) post.

"You can do it yourself if you can manipulate a pen and have a beaker and a stopwatch." See conradin's post re: puttying a grip.

"These days getting finely made useful mechanical parts is almost harder than electronics." Honestly, when was the last time you know of a 10M pistol needing replacement trigger parts?

"That said mechanicals rarely go wrong, and fixing electronics takes time unless you have a drop-in board." Again brent375hh's post, or it can take forever.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

william wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:53 am "Getting new circuit boards isn't hard, quick turnaround places will do it in days." See previous (brent375hh) post.
"You can do it yourself if you can manipulate a pen and have a beaker and a stopwatch." See conradin's post re: puttying a grip.
"These days getting finely made useful mechanical parts is almost harder than electronics." Honestly, when was the last time you know of a 10M pistol needing replacement trigger parts?
"That said mechanicals rarely go wrong, and fixing electronics takes time unless you have a drop-in board." Again brent375hh's post
DUCT TAPE! [See previous atomicgale post]

Regardless, what are you guys doing, to so totally trash/break/destroy your electronics?

The original topic, electronic or mechanical?, is when you are totally prepared for match, in order to compete at a top level, which trigger?
rmca

Post by rmca »

The major difference between a mechanical trigger and an eletronic one is after the shot breaks.
The mechanical trigger will lose weight and it's easier to jerk, but the trigger stop helps if properly adjusted.
The eletronic trigger will not lose weight and it's easier to do a proper pull. Also it helps in dry fire.
Don't use crapy batteries, or charge it before a major match. Eletronics are more fragile, but they came a long way. Morini or Styer are rock solid. Would not get any other brand, as they don't have a good track record on keeping parts for older models. (FWB is also good at supporting its equipment...)

When I bougth my LP10, ten years ago, I debated this topic and ended up with a mechanical one. Do not regret that decision one bit.
Today, wiser and older ;) if I was in the market for a new pistol, I would get an eletronic one for the reasons above mentioned.

It's a personal thing, and my advice would be to try one before you buy. Ask around your range, that experience will give you more information than anyone online can...

My two cents
m1963

Post by m1963 »

These guys, in India, can fix bad boards-

https://www.facebook.com/Morini.circuit

I keep a spare board on hand. I have never had to use it.

I would rather shoot the Morini air pistol, with electronic trigger, than any other air pistol. And, no, I do not expect that my Morini 10 meter air pistol will protect me in the event of a zombie apocalypse.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

What kind of battery pack is in Steyr EVO-10e..... Is it a generic battery pack or specific for this product? Is it a common battery pack you can buy anywhere?
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

brent375hh wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:35 am

Dry firing requires you to cock the striker like a cave man with the M trigger. The E trigger keeps clicking.
But isnt it the whole idea in dry firing that you simulate a complete shot. Lowering the pistol and cocking seem to be a part of it. Repeating clicks one after each may help for trigger feel but a dry fire must be more than that.

Or what am I missing ?
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

m1963 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:14 pm I have a bicycle that is capable of touring the world, and repairable almost everywhere. It is a Surly Disc Trucker. Honestly, my Morini 162 ei is repairable anywhere in the world that an air pistol match is held, as well. Honestly, what air pistol will ‘fit the bill’ for the neanderthals among us? Please, tell us!
don't underestimate the neanderthals :)
Rover

Post by Rover »

There seem to be two schools of thought on this subject:

1) Love the trigger, but worry about reliability; weight toward LOVE.

2) Love the trigger, but worry about reliability; weight toward FEAR.

I used a FWB 90 for a long time and loved it, but after the electronics failed a second time I moved back to mechanical.

That said, I'd love a Morini electric if I came across one cheap.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

emre-nur wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:43 am
brent375hh wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:35 am

Dry firing requires you to cock the striker like a cave man with the M trigger. The E trigger keeps clicking.
But isnt it the whole idea in dry firing that you simulate a complete shot. Lowering the pistol and cocking seem to be a part of it. Repeating clicks one after each may help for trigger feel but a dry fire must be more than that.

Or what am I missing ?
I don't think you are missing anything. My cave man comment was humor, because that is what the E trigger crowd claims.

Some electronic trigger users say that the E trigger does not wear, but I don't see any posts on the internet looking for a new sear. I do see people that need a new board. I was quite surprised to see a FB poster that could not locate a board for their LP10. Those were made up until just 6 years ago.
william

Post by william »

brent375hh wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:13 amSome electronic trigger users say that the E trigger does not wear, but I don't see any posts on the internet looking for a new sear. I do see people that need a new board. I was quite surprised to see a FB poster that could not locate a board for their LP10. Those were made up until just 6 years ago.
One should not be surprised. It's pretty much axiomatic that the UNavailabilty of a replacement part varies in direct ratio to how desperately it's needed.
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

By the way, in Tokyo, the first two shooters in the final air pistol had a mechanical trigger. In Rio, a woman with a Steyr LP1 won. The pistol was made before she came into this world. On the other hand, at this time the top stable and high-quality mechanical trigger is certainly not cheaper than the electronic one. Electronics age faster than any iron, and if you don't shoot daily and for hours and hours ... There can be significant differences between mechanical triggers of the same design compared to electronic triggers. If you like to change, modify and play with the grip, electronics will not be the best choice. This is my experience of more than 30 years of active shooting. (FWB65, TAU5, TAU6, TAU7, Steyr LP2, LP10, CM162EI, LP10.)

I wish everyone many years of experience with electronic triggers. The future is great, ban lead, light beam only and then just stuck to the computer ...
Rover

Post by Rover »

RE: Neanderthals. Recent genetic testing has revealed Neanderthal DNA in those of European descent (among others). Some have a higher percentage of this DNA. Occasionally, this is expressed to a high degree in some individuals.

It appears that there was a little hanky-panky going on back in the day. This was long before miscegenation was declared unconstitutional in 1967 in the U.S.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:05 am RE: Neanderthals. Recent genetic testing has revealed Neanderthal DNA in those of European descent (among others). Some have a higher percentage of this DNA. Occasionally, this is expressed to a high degree in some individuals.

It appears that there was a little hanky-panky going on back in the day. This was long before miscegenation was declared unconstitutional in 1967 in the U.S.
Let's not forget the Denisovans.......:-)
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

pbrejsa wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:12 am By the way, in Tokyo, the first two shooters in the final air pistol had a mechanical trigger. In Rio, a woman with a Steyr LP1 won. The pistol was made before she came into this world. On the other hand, at this time the top stable and high-quality mechanical trigger is certainly not cheaper than the electronic one. Electronics age faster than any iron, and if you don't shoot daily and for hours and hours ... There can be significant differences between mechanical triggers of the same design compared to electronic triggers. If you like to change, modify and play with the grip, electronics will not be the best choice. This is my experience of more than 30 years of active shooting. (FWB65, TAU5, TAU6, TAU7, Steyr LP2, LP10, CM162EI, LP10.)

I wish everyone many years of experience with electronic triggers. The future is great, ban lead, light beam only and then just stuck to the computer ...
Using light will remove those pesky indoor cross-winds that send so many of our shots a ring or two off center.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Using light will remove those pesky indoor cross-winds that send so many of our shots a ring or two off center."

Would that that were true. I used to shoot Bench Rest Rifle back in the day. I can remember having a rifle firmly set on a machine rest and watch the bull move completely off the cross-hairs due to breeze driven mirage.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

UPDATE:

I backordered EVO-10E from Pilkguns. It will be a while until they will get it from Europe, so I will soldier on with IZH-46M. I thank everyone for input. All opinions have merit and were considered. It came down to what I would be more happy with.

I am also considering getting Matchguns Mechanical or Hybrid as a second PCP air pistol, but trying to talk myself out of it. Is there any advantage in shooting more than one PCP? I shoot only one local sectional match per year, most of my shooting is in my basement, where I compete against myself. So backup gun is not really important, I don't want another expensive toy to collect dust. I am low 500's shooter with IZH-46M in my basement.

Another to be or not to be decision.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I and some friends have both PCPs and SSPs. We find there is no differences in our average score using either gun.

Go with one gun and tweak it. Save the bucks (especially at your relatively low skill level).
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I never forget that the record of 594 was set using a mechanical LP10.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

As a shooter i went from
IZH-46 (first air pistol i owned) to Steyr LP10 Mech (tried it twice and gave it to wife)
then to an older 15V Morini 162 with fixed bottles and
last stopped to Matchguns MG-1E.
Always fascinated with elec triggers from the start (FWB 90).
for me biggest pro of e-triggers is that they have the same feeling always.
also once adjusted they keep the setting. i dont think i had to adjust my e-triggers for many many years.
cons is that if board goes kaput it will cost more (which is amazing given that electronics are cheap).
cons is that depending where you live support can be from top notch to none (but this affects both mech).
pro is that for most air pistol changing the board can be done from the end user.

PS many times people with mech triggers come to me to adjust them right before the match.
most of them were lp10 that were adjusted on the limit the previous night at home.
dont go for 501gr. go for 530gr.

PS2. with izzy i went to 560, with 162 to 561 and perhaps at some point i will beat it with MG-1E. if only covid goes away so we can start training again

stay safe