Technique: Gripping AP & FP

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Michael

Technique: Gripping AP & FP

Post by Michael »

I was shocked that I got no responses on techniques used for shooting Air Pistol and Free Pistol. I am thinking that you folks thought maybe I had some grips for sale, so I changed the subject. What I want is some opinions on gripping technique for shooting Air Pistol and Free Pistol. Should one use a hard grip or light grip or something in between? Does anyone know if the top shooters have a preference?
TIA
GaryN

Re: Technique: Gripping AP & FP

Post by GaryN »

Michael Douglass

experiment

Post by Michael Douglass »

The bottom line is to use what is comfortable for you. A GENERAL guideline is to use the same force you would for a firm handshake. Of course people have different definitons of what that is.
Do not grip the pistol so much that you add movement to your hold from over exerting your muscles. Also do not use so light a grip that you cannot control the gun. Remember, YOU control the gun, not the other way around.
Finally, one more general point. The harder your grip, the more force you can generate with your trigger finger. Therefore a lot of people use a stronger grip for air pistol than they do for free due to the different trigger wights.
Once again, these are GENERAL guidelines and it will take much training for you to decide what is best.
Mike Douglass

GaryN

Re: Technique: Gripping AP & FP

Post by GaryN »

Check the archives, there are a couple threads about gripping a pistol.
Gary
Michael

Thanks-Re: Technique: Gripping AP & FP

Post by Michael »

Thanks for the responses. I suppose that this topic is old hat. Sorry if I wasted some folks' time.
: I was shocked that I got no responses on techniques used for shooting Air Pistol and Free Pistol. I am thinking that you folks thought maybe I had some grips for sale, so I changed the subject. What I want is some opinions on gripping technique for shooting Air Pistol and Free Pistol. Should one use a hard grip or light grip or something in between? Does anyone know if the top shooters have a preference?
: TIA

GaryN

Re: Thanks-Re: Technique: Gripping AP & FP

Post by GaryN »

Always check the archives when you have a question, to see if it has already been discussed, I try to. You can always ask the question to get more info, or if the archives don't quite answer the question.
I still go back and browse the archives, because I forget all the good stuff that is there.
Gary