Tendinitis

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sal6781

Tendinitis

Post by sal6781 »

Has anyone had any trouble with tendinitis and shooting air pistols ? Is it legal to wear an elbow device to reduce inflammation ? Just curious about that one. Thanks
David Levene

Re: Tendinitis

Post by David Levene »

sal6781 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 am Is it legal to wear an elbow device to reduce inflammation ?
I'm afraid not.
spektr

Post by spektr »

In NRA matches you can do it, on a restricted basis.
Get thd appliance prescribed and weite the NRA comp for a medical waiver. Perfectly doable..... I have gone thru the process to get a waiver for shows that are required for my amputation, but not legal otherwise
spektr

Post by spektr »

In NRA matches you can do it, on a restricted basis.
Get the appliance prescribed and write the NRA comp for a medical waiver. Perfectly doable..... I have gone thru the process to get a waiver for shoes that are required for my amputation, but not legal otherwise
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

sal6781 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 am Has anyone had any trouble with tendinitis and shooting air pistols ? Is it legal to wear an elbow device to reduce inflammation ?
Tendinitis? Oh yea. And it sucks.

1. Upper wrist band to cantilever the tendons. Yes, illegal during match.
2. NSAIDs
3. Prescription NSAID: Meloxicam 15mg.
4. Then steroids: tapered dosage of Prednisone (don't know if on the dope list?)
5. Then good steroids: Dexamethasone (definitely on the doper list)
Last resort: Sell the air pistol & take up break-dancing. Paris '24 baby!

The cantilever wrist brace will help alleviate the root cause. Wear during practice, computer work, typing, et cetera.
Hope this helps!
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It may not be so bad with air pistol, but I continued to shoot .22 when I had tennis elbow. By the time my elbow was better, I had trained my body that every time the pistol fired, it was going to hurt. A couple years later, and I still have a flinch I've fighting with.

DON'T try to "tough it out". I would have been much better off switching to left handed. I probably would have recovered sooner, and with no flinch.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Hello-

I had bad tennis elbow in 2016 due to pistol shooting- bullseye 45, 22, and air pistol, and stopped shooting for close to a year. Since then, no issues until this spring, and it was back. I find it becomes a problem when I ramp up my training schedule to shoot at least a match a day; sometimes more. I use an orthopedic brace for all practice now. By doing this I can easily complete a competitive match without the brace, and without any pain.

Best regards,
m1963
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

sal6781 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 am Has anyone had any trouble with tendinitis and shooting air pistols ? Is it legal to wear an elbow device to reduce inflammation ? Just curious about that one. Thanks
Perhaps try a TENS unit.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Upper forearm tennis elbow bands are allowed in NRA events now. You did not mention what class you're shooting in though, so you'll really need to check with your own match organizer.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJIIcTQjXJ8 helped me against developing tendenitis - as soon as I get some hint of pain, I ramp up with the set, and pain is gone. Maybe it helps well only when the problem is still minor, but it helps! Additional bonus - stronger wrist
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is physical therapy. I had some tendonitis issues early last year and PE helped eliminate the problem.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

See a sports doctor or sports physiotherapist to help you. In my case what helped was strength training, not the massages.

This warmup routine has also been helpful: https://www.olympicpistol.com/pistol-sh ... ederation/
Last edited by Ramon OP on Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ramon
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

i have some pain in the knuckles of my right (shooting) hand. especially at the base of the middle finger.
any exercises for that?
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
AJV

Post by AJV »

Azmodan wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:41 am i have some pain in the knuckles of my right (shooting) hand. especially at the base of the middle finger.
any exercises for that?
Is it muscular?
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Azmodan wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:41 am i have some pain in the knuckles of my right (shooting) hand. especially at the base of the middle finger.
any exercises for that?
I am not a doctor, but from my experience with sport doctors and PTs - any pain asks for exercising nearby muscles. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0769Z51KT (15 grips + 15 stretches x3)?
william

Post by william »

any exercises for that?
Yes, make an obscene gesture at least 25 times per day. Best performed while driving. You'll find the opportunities create themselves.
AJV

Post by AJV »

There isn't a big universal solution for all pains. Different causes, probably different treatments.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

AJV wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:48 am
any exercises for that?
Is it muscular?
as far as i know, the muscles of the fingers are in the forearm. at the knuckles there are only tendons
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
william

Post by william »

They say that a man who serves as his own lawyer has a fool for a client. That is at least as true for people who diagnose & treat themselves. Is it really tendinitis? Is there nerve damage? Are other things going on? See a professional - a doctor or a physical therapist - and stop relying on people who have never seen/touched your arm.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

william wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:25 am . . . make an obscene gesture at least 25 times per day.
"That's so funny, I forgot to laugh!" - Gilda Radner