Is Free Pistol dead now? Standard?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
coker

Is Free Pistol dead now? Standard?

Post by coker »

Hi all
For 2021 i dont even see them listed in the World Championships, maybe they are stull shot on other smaller matches, such as the USAS Nationals?
But funny thing, i think 300 meter rifle stull is there
Any thoughts?
lyoke2

Re: Is Free Pistol dead now? Standard?

Post by lyoke2 »

Standard and Free Pistol and Center Fire are events at the USA Shooting Nationals this October (2021).

World Championships are supposed to be in Russia in 2022, but I believed this has changed slightly with the last ISSF news update.

They were events in the 2018 Worlds and the ISSF Rules list Free, Standard and Center Fire as mandatory World Championship Events. This is in the ISSF General Technical Rules, page 6-7. Anything can change. 300M Rifle is a World Championship event as well, if it is possible to be hosted.

If you are referring to 2021 events they are most likely World Cups and do not have Free, Standard and Center Fire Pistol.
coker

Post by coker »

Great response thanks
And that is also encouraging
The way i understand it is that in regardless of what the IOC can decide to add or substract in the Olympic games, the ISSF and USAS are there to support and promote the shooting disciplines for what they were created
I am an old timer who learned to shoot with a free pistol and a 38 revolver at the old center fire matches.

I wish to keep on training until my dreams come true
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

at the European Championship (Osjiek) 2021, CTP, FP, STP, 300 rifle, 50 prone...and ALL the other events were shot.
the new thing it was that FP, CFP, STP were shot in "open" style. both men and women together.

http://results.sius.com/Events.aspx?Cha ... c39032438f
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
coker

Post by coker »

Wow thanks Azmodan
Looks like here in the USA we are and will always be still in diapers compared to the Europeans
Should i move to Europe?

Cheers
6string

Post by 6string »

The bigger issue is a lack of available ranges and clubs where shooters can actually train. What difference does it make if there's one or two big matches 1000 miles away or more? Does it make sense to travel to these events when you can't even realistically prepare for them?
It doesn't seem to me that USAS cares about this. They're all in for their big show that happens once or twice a year.
NRA is much the same way. (Despite technically having organized rules for Int'l pistol, they seem even less interested in this than American "bullseye" style matches.)
The CMP (I know, domestic matches are not the same as Int'l) is somewhat trying to broaden precision pistol. They seem more willing to accommodate clubs with limited resources. No, they don't offer free pistol, or any specific ISSF style pistol matches. But, the spirit of their service matches and restrictions on pistols makes them a better alternative than NRA Bullseye. New this year is their Centerfire Revolver Match. (Coker, I think you would enjoy that!)
They seem to be committed to rimfire as well. Whether their efforts bear fruit or not, only time will tell.

I have tried repeatedly to organize matches or at least club leagues. The apathy and, at times opposition, is disheartening and surprising. Much of this is due to the preponderance of "blasting away" types of shooting.
Surprisingly, clubs that are affiliated with the national organizations mentioned above, and that receive grant money from them, do nothing for it. They just cash their grant check and hang a sign at the entrance or in the clubhouse. Ironically, the club finder search tools on the websites for NRA and CMP (the places they say to contact so you can compete!) list clubs where no such activities occur! I've contacted both NRA and CMP to discuss the issue but the conversation always always turns out like a Monty Python skit.

In European and Commonwealth countries, where the legal situation is much more onerous, clubs are pretty much required to organize around the match rules set forth by ISSF, etc. Obtaining a pistol permit and/or membership is often contingent upon participating in these matches on some level.

Coker, if you think things are bad for free pistol and centerfire, just try Int'l rapid fire!
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

looks like free pistol / 50M pistol is on the Paralympic program: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/para ... /shooting/

so, if one wants an olympic medal in freepistol.. one has to loose a leg :)
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

A few of us here in East Hampton, on Long Island are trying to get a league started with club matches in Free Pistol. Fortunately we have the facilities and enough members with Free Pistols.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
sparky

Post by sparky »

6string wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:48 am The bigger issue is a lack of available ranges and clubs where shooters can actually train. What difference does it make if there's one or two big matches 1000 miles away or more? Does it make sense to travel to these events when you can't even realistically prepare for them?
It doesn't seem to me that USAS cares about this. They're all in for their big show that happens once or twice a year.
NRA is much the same way. (Despite technically having organized rules for Int'l pistol, they seem even less interested in this than American "bullseye" style matches.)
The CMP (I know, domestic matches are not the same as Int'l) is somewhat trying to broaden precision pistol. They seem more willing to accommodate clubs with limited resources. No, they don't offer free pistol, or any specific ISSF style pistol matches. But, the spirit of their service matches and restrictions on pistols makes them a better alternative than NRA Bullseye. New this year is their Centerfire Revolver Match. (Coker, I think you would enjoy that!)
They seem to be committed to rimfire as well. Whether their efforts bear fruit or not, only time will tell.

I have tried repeatedly to organize matches or at least club leagues. The apathy and, at times opposition, is disheartening and surprising. Much of this is due to the preponderance of "blasting away" types of shooting.
Surprisingly, clubs that are affiliated with the national organizations mentioned above, and that receive grant money from them, do nothing for it. They just cash their grant check and hang a sign at the entrance or in the clubhouse. Ironically, the club finder search tools on the websites for NRA and CMP (the places they say to contact so you can compete!) list clubs where no such activities occur! I've contacted both NRA and CMP to discuss the issue but the conversation always always turns out like a Monty Python skit.

In European and Commonwealth countries, where the legal situation is much more onerous, clubs are pretty much required to organize around the match rules set forth by ISSF, etc. Obtaining a pistol permit and/or membership is often contingent upon participating in these matches on some level.

Coker, if you think things are bad for free pistol and centerfire, just try Int'l rapid fire!
Most pistol ranges can accommodate at 50 yards or 25 yards (or meters) and there are reduced targets that will work to train for free pistol and sport pistol at those distances. As for rapid fire, harder to do, but if you can find a range with a wide enough bay to set up a frame of 5 targets, and can get a shot timer (preferably one that can be hooked up to start/stop lights), it can be done.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Azmodan wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:50 am looks like free pistol / 50M pistol is on the Paralympic program: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/para ... /shooting/

so, if one wants an olympic medal in freepistol.. one has to loose a leg :)
Frankly, I’d give an arm AND a leg for an Olympic medal in FP.

Bob
David M

Post by David M »

Next Free Pistol Event

Tokyo 2020 Paralympic

Date and Time: Sat 4 Sep. 9:30 - 15:45
Venues: Asaka Shooting Range

P4 - Mixed 50m Pistol SH1 Qualification
P4 - Mixed 50m Pistol SH1 Finals
gn303

Post by gn303 »

"Frankly, I’d give an arm AND a leg for an Olympic medal in FP.
Bob"
Sorry Bob, I'm sure that any Paralympic would be glad to trade any medal to have his arm or leg back.
I admire them for there courage. I'm sure you do too.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Up here in the PNW we ran a free pistol league with an NRA sanction to get classifications a few years back.
People seem to think you need 10 participants, but you dont... Its RECOMMENDED but not required. We also shot it indoors on reduced targets
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Years ago I went with a friend of mine to help him pick out an engagement ring for his girl friend. He had just gotten back from Vietnam and there were three of us all dressed very very casually. The jeweler showed us some things, but they were less expensive and for sure less spectacular and my friend asked to see a ring in another case, obviously much more money. The Jeweler said, "sorry young man but that ring would cost you an arm and a leg" at which time, my friend removed his prosthetic arm and leg and laid them on the counter. The jeweler was so moved (all three of us were laughing like crazy) he gave him one heck of a price.
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Great story!
G.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

tomorrow (4th September) is the 50m pistol at the tokyo 2020 paralympics
https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/paralym ... -09-04.htm

34 men and women will participate.
it is shot in open system (both genders together) and there will be finals! (also open)