Cheap vs expensive RWS Pellets from my Match Guns MGH1

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
uhfradarwill

Cheap vs expensive RWS Pellets from my Match Guns MGH1

Post by uhfradarwill »

Someone on this or another forum suggested I try RWS Basic Diablos .177 as an alternative to the more expensive RWS R10 Match Premium Line.

I setup a target at 18 yards and sand bag rested my Match Guns MG1H Mechanical today.

IMO the cheaper Basic pellets work very well for training and I'll be sticking with them mostly.

I did however pull rite thru the 1st stage on one shot with the R10 Match pellets.

Happy 10 Metering.

Will

Rover

Re: Cheap vs expensive RWS Pellets from my Match Guns MGH1

Post by Rover »

I'm afraid your testing set-up isn't quite up to the task.

If you do a search under my handle, you'll find several of my much more stringent tests.

But, to make a long story short, use the RWS Basics.
uhfradarwill

Post by uhfradarwill »

Thanks, I'll do the search.
As far as MY test to see the basic performance difference between two pellets, it worked very well.
Will
Rover

Post by Rover »

uhfradarwill

Post by uhfradarwill »

Thanks very much. I guess I'll upgrade to the PhD level testing and use a vise lol
william

Post by william »

uhfradarwill wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:20 pm Thanks very much. I guess I'll upgrade to the PhD level testing and use a vise lol
Or... you could forget about wasting your time and get down to what's really important.

Years ago a board member (M. K.) did some really superb testing, extensive, in-depth, highly repeatable, in short pretty authoritative. After a while he gave it up as little more than a distraction from the real job.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Testing is only as important as you think it is. If there's a need in your mind to answer questions, by all means test. If you shoot a game where group size matters, knock yourself out. If you shoot 10 meter pistol, just about any decent quality pellet from any decent pistol shot from a test stand will clean the target. If you shoot extreme bench rest, the best pellet is dependent on exactly what the gun under test responds best to. THERE IS NO DEFINITIVE ANSWER, its all situational......... Rover shoots Hobbys, I shoot Vogels, both work well. Cost between the tins might be a factor, or not, but in any case let your specific situation make the call and stop trying to make a generalized statement fit the universe of barrels out there, that doesn't work well...... Cheers
uhfradarwill

Post by uhfradarwill »

spektr wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:34 am Testing is only as important as you think it is. If there's a need in your mind to answer questions, by all means test. If you shoot a game where group size matters, knock yourself out. If you shoot 10 meter pistol, just about any decent quality pellet from any decent pistol shot from a test stand will clean the target. If you shoot extreme bench rest, the best pellet is dependent on exactly what the gun under test responds best to. THERE IS NO DEFINITIVE ANSWER, its all situational......... Rover shoots Hobbys, I shoot Vogels, both work well. Cost between the tins might be a factor, or not, but in any case let your specific situation make the call and stop trying to make a generalized statement fit the universe of barrels out there, that doesn't work well...... Cheers
I never recommended these pellets to anyone. I was just relaying an simple experiment I made with my particular pistol of which there seems to be very little information about. Just thought I would post it, which now, I see was a mistake.
Please forgive me and I'll strive to be a better poster and Human in general going forward.
Will
william

Post by william »

uhfradarwill wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:05 pm Please forgive me and I'll strive to be a better poster and Human in general going forward.
Will
Please don't. What will Rover (and I, perhaps) have to poke at?
spektr

Post by spektr »

I never recommended these pellets to anyone. I was just relaying an simple experiment I made with my particular pistol of which there seems to be very little information about. Just thought I would post it, which now, I see was a mistake.
Please forgive me and I'll strive to be a better poster and Human in general going forward.
Will
[/quote]

Hey Will, Im on your side. Test away, learn things
... Im good with that.... Some folks here don't think testing is valuable for 10 meters. They are tossing generalities around like facts.. Just enjoy what you do

atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

uhfradarwill wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:05 pm Please forgive me and I'll strive to be a better poster and Human in general going forward . . . - Will
Will, you are forgiven.
However, for your petulance, you are now tasked to deliver to us yesterday's actual video evidence of Men's Olympic AP Final.

BRING US THE WITCH's BROOM!
The great atomicgale has SPOKEN!
uhfradarwill

Post by uhfradarwill »

lol, not till you give me my brain!!
jps2486

Post by jps2486 »

I've had excellent results with RWS Meisterkugeln. They are clean and consistent. I have also used H&N Pistol Match 7.65 gr and RWS R10.
Shiloh

Post by Shiloh »

As you have read, there are many opinions mostly based only upon respective experiences. The validity of each or any can always be questioned without factual data to support the claims.

I would add that you should compete in air pistol matches for a good idea of what works for you AND your air pistol. If you are starting out, then the quality of the pellet will not matter at all and spending more money on more expensive pellets will be a waste of money. Simply put, if you do not know how to or aren't good with your pistol to compete, then an expensive pellet will miss the target as often as a cheap pellet.

Once you have experience in competing, you will establish a baseline to build upon. Air pistol is not easy. To loosely paraphrase Yogi Berra concerning baseball, "50% of the game is physical, the other 90% is mental".

Accordingly, work on HOW you shoot your pistol, and don't concentrate on what pellet seems better to you or how well you might perceive the quality in a simple home test.

I used to run NRA International Air Pistol at my club. A few of the Master class shooters (highest classification in air pistol) used RWS Hobby to shoot master level scores (558 and above). Hobby is one of the lowest priced pellets. I have used them as well but remain at the Expert class level, alas. Might have something more to do with my being an old fart (I'm 76 years old and 10 meters didn't used to be so far away).

The MG-1 and variants are not a popular international competition air pistol but more than capable of getting you to Expert or Master if you work very hard.