grip mod- supporting the palm shelf

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
emre-nur

grip mod- supporting the palm shelf

Post by emre-nur »

Hi to all,

I want to raise the palm shelf of my LP500. My grip feels ok but I would like to have some more support. Unfortunately the palm shelf of LP500 does not come up too much.

What could be the material in the picture below, or if anyone could suggest something similar—soft, elastic? I also have no idea what type of glue/tape etc. I should use.

Actually I need something around 5mm.

Thanks in advance
IMG_8111.jpg
Green_Canoe

Re: grip mod- supporting the palm shelf

Post by Green_Canoe »

Bearing in mind I have never done this but here's how I would approach it until given a better method by someone more experienced:

I would remove the palm shelf and trace around it on a mouse pad of the thickness you want. Then I would carefully cut out the shape I just traced and use double stick tape to attach the pad to the shelf. (I'd probably clean both sides with alcohol first to remove oils.)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

That looks like leather. For the students on the team I help coach, we use "moleskin", sold in pharmacies to cushion the feet to avoid blisters:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgr ... 43-product

It is adhesive backed, and comes in a couple of thicknesses. You can stack a couple layers if you need to. It's easy to remove, and is a good, cheap way to experiment.

On a lot of pistols, it's not too tricky to 3D print a thicker palm shelf. We've 3D printed several thickness shelves for Hammerli AP20's, and made replacements for cracked Benelli MP90/95 .22's wooden shelves that way.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

I had the same problem with my LP500 so I cut and extended the channels in the grip itself. Then I cut the square retaining nuts to let them fit higher into the grip body. I'd say it bought me another 4mm or so of upward travel and now I have a good solid support.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

McMadCow wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:26 pm I had the same problem with my LP500 so I cut and extended the channels in the grip itself. Then I cut the square retaining nuts to let them fit higher into the grip body. I'd say it bought me another 4mm or so of upward travel and now I have a good solid support.
Thanks.
Really makes sense but cutting, modifying are way beyond my competence.

I will give a try to blister patch.
william

Post by william »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:24 pm That looks like leather. For the students on the team I help coach, we use "moleskin", sold in pharmacies to cushion the feet to avoid blisters:

It is adhesive backed, and comes in a couple of thicknesses. You can stack a couple layers if you need to. It's easy to remove, and is a good, cheap way to experiment.

On a lot of pistols, it's not too tricky to 3D print a thicker palm shelf. We've 3D printed several thickness shelves for Hammerli AP20's, and made replacements for cracked Benelli MP90/95 .22's wooden shelves that way.
Leather works like a charm. Go to the local shoe repair shop (if you're lucky enough to have one). Chances are they'll be happy to give you scraps that are not usable to them. They can be different thicknesses, and if you're lucky they'll give you some with a wedge-like profile.

Leather is easy to cut to shape, can be built up in layers if needed. Use contact cement (rubber cement), and attach it with the rough side facing your hand. Unlike moleskin, it will stand up to the abrasion from the heel of your hand sliding along it thousands of times. This is my grip with 2 pieces of leather adding thickness just where I want it, and my nearly lifetime supply of scraps.
P1070300.jpg
Rover

Post by Rover »

" cutting, modifying are way beyond my competence."

Come on, man! This isn't rocket science. Just grab some stuff and start hacking away at it. If you fuck up, throw it away and try again.

You can try the Conradin and Marine Corps way, too. Just have someone stand behind you and if you screw up, give you a hearty smack on the back of the head. It will soon break you of that happy horse-shit!

Sweet William approves this message.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

william wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:33 pm
Gwhite wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:24 pm That looks like leather. For the students on the team I help coach, we use "moleskin", sold in pharmacies to cushion the feet to avoid blisters:

Leather works like a charm. Go to the local shoe repair shop (if you're lucky enough to have one). Chances are they'll be happy to give you scraps that are not usable to them. They can be different thicknesses, and if you're lucky they'll give you some with a wedge-like profile.

Leather is easy to cut to shape, can be built up in layers if needed. Use contact cement (rubber cement), and attach it with the rough side facing your hand. Unlike moleskin, it will stand up to the abrasion from the heel of your hand sliding along it thousands of times. This is my grip with 2 pieces of leather adding thickness just where I want it, and my nearly lifetime supply of scraps.P1070300.jpg
leather feels right.
I can do that from an old belt.
Thanks.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

If you believe that the grip is a bit large, can you have a smaller grip? The modifications would be much less then, or even none.
This is true for all DE pistols, FWB, Walther.
https://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=63748
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
spektr

Post by spektr »

There are grab bags of inexpensive leather bits and pieces at hobby lobby and contact cement works wonders.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

While we are at grip modification, question to all - is it legit to put white tape - to modify the grip?
My instructor says NO, the manual and rule book is silent in it.
Here is an image.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've certainly never heard of any restriction on grip mods, especially color. As long as it still fits in the box & doesn't hit your wrist, it should be fine.
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

Soft materials in palm rest can be seen as the grip surrounds your hand. Palm rest should be completely level. If it compresses even a bit, it isnt. Then, DSQ.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Rover wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:27 pm If you fuck up, throw it away and try again.
The ISSF rules glossary doesn't define "Fuck up," but did reference a pic of my grip:
Coolmeester wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:25 am Palm rest should be completely level. If it compresses even a bit, it isnt. Then, DSQ.
citing: ISSF 8.4.1 Standards for Air Pistol, then Diagram 8.13 page 438 "(palm shelf) Up- and downward bend allowed in the Longitudinal direction"
LINK to rules: https://www.issf-sports.org/getfile.asp ... 0Rules.pdf
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

atomicgale wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:31 am
Rover wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:27 pm If you fuck up, throw it away and try again.
The ISSF rules glossary doesn't define "Fuck up," but did reference a pic of my grip:
Coolmeester wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:25 am Palm rest should be completely level. If it compresses even a bit, it isnt. Then, DSQ.
citing: ISSF 8.4.1 Standards for Air Pistol, then Diagram 8.13 page 438 "(palm shelf) Up- and downward bend allowed in the Longitudinal direction"
Yes, upward bend in sideways direction is not allowed.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210718-193336__01.jpg
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

PASS or FAIL? Let's let Target-Talk decide!

Coolmeester wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:37 am
atomicgale wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:31 am
citing: ISSF 8.4.1 Standards for Air Pistol, then Diagram 8.13 page 438 "Up- and downward bend allowed in the Longitudinal direction"
Yes, upward bend in sideways direction is not allowed.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

So, reading this,

I dont get why padding or taping is not allowed.

Is there anything saying that the grip should be hard solid?

I dont think this has anything to do with up- or downward bend.

This is my solution with window isolation material and paper tape.
IMG_6460.jpg
william

Post by william »

If you use that half-ass method in a match, I can virtually guarantee it will come undone at a very inconvenient moment. And when you're in a match, on the clock, every moment is an inconvenient moment.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

emre-nur wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:13 pm This is my solution with window isolation material and paper tape.
Hey, they changed the rule book: Under "Fuck up," they deleted the pic of my grip & replaced it with THIS:
WTF? This ain't gonna work . . . . hope this helps.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

william wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:05 pm If you use that half-ass method in a match, I can virtually guarantee it will come undone at a very inconvenient moment. And when you're in a match, on the clock, every moment is an inconvenient moment.
Hi and thanks.

This is just a temporary thing to understand where I need support. I will try your suggestion.
Have you passed the equipment test in official matches with that leather strap?