Air Pistol Trigger Timing vs Area of Aim

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
-TT-

Re: Air Pistol Trigger Timing vs Area of Aim

Post by -TT- »

UnGe wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:22 am
-TT- wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:55 am All told, it's much less expensive, and is very convenient to use. I have the X2 (dryfire-only) model, and I use it often.
Does it work for AP? I bought X3 to try. On my .22 it detected ~ 8/10 dry shots, 9/10 live ones. On Izzy (attached to the pumping arm), it did not detect dry shots at all (sometimes it detected cocking), on live - ~6-7/10 shots, with 1-2/10 false positives on cocking. So I just returned it
It does work for air pistols, but it's tricky. You need to attach it close to the area of the sear and firing mechanism, and it needs to be solidly attached. The cocking lever of an Izzy seems super-marginal. Also the Izzy has a very subtle release if there's no air pressure, I'd guess it would work well with an actual (no pellet) shot. I'll give it a try on mine, haven't tried that yet! I mostly shoot .22 and have had no issues with dryfire on several guns. (Benelli MP90S, Buckmark, 1911).

There are several configurable parameters for sensitivity, and many guns are preset already. You can use the support channel to get solutions, and if it works they will add them to the menu in fact. They've been quite responsive for me.

[edit] Tried it on the Izzy, it doesn't detect a true dryfire. Using the "Shot troubleshooter" it says the detected impulse is too weak. It does pick it up though, so I might contact Mantis.
Last edited by -TT- on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

porkchop wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:47 am This is an older Mantis, I'll have to find a way to attach to my Izzy, maybe with a plastic cable tie to the barrel. Any tips on what colour of lines to look for?
Stan
I glued a small magnet to mine, and I slap it on the side of the frame as close as possible to the trigger or sear, depending on the gun. With my Benelli, I stick it on the left side of the frame, slightly in front of the trigger module. There's a Mantis app setting for that orientation, and it works great.
MantisMagnet.jpg
MantisBenelli.jpg
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

porkchop wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:47 am Any tips on what colour of lines to look for?
Well, blue and yellow. Blue is the pre-triggering movement, and yellow the movement just before the break. The X3 will show a red trace for post-shot movement.

Here's an old example from my history, showing a decent hold but the actual shot was out of the X-ring, looks like I might have "snatched" it a bit because the movement was smooth.

MantisTrace.jpg
MantisTrace.jpg (51.16 KiB) Viewed 614 times
... and another one earlier in the string, showing the shot pushing left as the trigger was applied.

MantisTrace2.jpg
MantisTrace2.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 614 times
It's basic, but very useful and so easy to just pick up and drill, anytime anywhere.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:24 am Thanks for the nudge. I bought a Mantis X10 recently, but I had to make a 3D printed adapter to clip it onto an air pistol cylinder. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. My guess is that it's much better than nothing. Besides being more precise, the real value of the high end trainers is in the analysis options. Even if the basic sensing is OK, I don't know if it compares well in that regard.

I'll post a review once I have a chance to check it out. I'm learning to shoot left handed, and that will be a good time to try it. My lefty Steyr grip is stuck in Customs but should arrive shortly.
Hi,
Can you upload or provide link to the file for 3d printing?
Thanks,
emre
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

There are actually 3 STL files; one for Morini cylinders, one for Steyrs, and one for Benelli Kites. The dimensions all worked nicely on my printer, but they may not be as snug a fit when fab'd on another printer. I can provide STP files if they need serious adjusting. I use eSun PLA+ filament, with a 0.35 mm nozzle & 0.2 mm layer height. The PLA+ is stronger than regular PLA, and it's a bit more flexible, so the spring of the clips will also be material dependent.

Here's what the Steyr clip looks like:
Steyr Cylinder Mantis Clip.jpg
Steyr Cylinder Mantis Clip.jpg (20.09 KiB) Viewed 600 times
All three cylinder clips attach to a short rail that the Mantis attaches to:
Mantis AP Mount Rail.jpg
Mantis AP Mount Rail.jpg (18.11 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Here's a zip file with all three cylinder clips, and the mounting rail:
Mantis X10 3D AP Cylinder Mounts.zip
(61.54 KiB) Downloaded 60 times