Newbie shooting question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pbrejsa

Re: Newbie shooting question

Post by pbrejsa »

Also, many problems are caused by the little finger and the involvement of its end in the grip. Intentionally try not to engage it in a grip with a sharp shot from an air pistol, and if you see a difference in the position of the shots, you may be on a better way to a solution leading to the correct grip.

Actively engaging your thumb or little finger in the grip of a pistol grip can be as dangerous as meeting a hard-working fool in life. But everything should be tried. ;-)
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

Thank you guys - I am reading everything - sorry was busy. The situation in India is terrible as almost all of you may be aware of.
I do not have air now - so I am dry firing as much as I can - and holding and practicing the hold on the grip as you are suggesting.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

This is today.
I could "sense" those 4 bad shots.

I think I have 6 of 9s, but the fact is seems like my sight alignment is ok.
The bad 4 shots are symmetrical now on both sides.
Go Walther LP 500.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

One of the things you need to work on is is detecting the bad shots before they happen so you can "abort" that shot and start your shot process over again. You are beginning to have a fair number of pretty good shots. When you shoot a 10, you want to think about all the little details that helped to make that happen; your grip, breathing, trigger squeeze, sights, stance, etc. What did it look like? What did it feel like? That will help to reinforce the "muscle memory" required to shoot a good shot. You should also learn to be aware when something doesn't look or feel like it's evolving into another 10.

By far and away, the most common problem is that people hold too long. They hesitate because it looks a little wobbly, and then things go downhill from there. They either hold too long and only get wobblier, they start running low on oxygen, or they realize they are over-holding and force the shot off. Dry firing so that the timing of your trigger squeeze is automatic helps a lot.

If it doesn't look or feel like it's going to be a 10, PUT THE PISTOL DOWN!
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

I guess my problems are beyond advise :)

Image-1-2.jpg
william

Post by william »

A lot of wasted time, effort and pseudo-analysis could be avoided if people were to train / practice on a target with no scoring rings. Does anybody make such a thing?

No offense intended, but I don't care about, nor do I want to see a target with this many 10s, this many 9s, etc. They are unhelpful. Try for this instead:
"I shot a compact group with 2 misses low & left because I jerked the trigger, which I knew about as soon as I did it. I also had one at 1 o'clock because I anticipated the shot." Or sometimes:
"I couldn't get myself properly organized, and as a result my group looks more like a shotgun pattern. A total waste of compressed air and pellets. I should have spent the time dry firing."
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

william wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:24 am A lot of wasted time, effort and pseudo-analysis could be avoided if people were to train / practice on a target with no scoring rings. Does anybody make such a thing?

No offense intended, but I don't care about, nor do I want to see a target with this many 10s, this many 9s, etc. They are unhelpful. Try for this instead:
"I shot a compact group with 2 misses low & left because I jerked the trigger, which I knew about as soon as I did it. I also had one at 1 o'clock because I anticipated the shot." Or sometimes:
"I couldn't get myself properly organized, and as a result my group looks more like a shotgun pattern. A total waste of compressed air and pellets. I should have spent the time dry firing."
"my group looks more like a shotgun pattern"
loved that :)
william

Post by william »

Teşekkürler!
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't got no Arabic, habibi.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:57 pm I don't got no Arabic, habibi.
Your loss, azizi.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:14 am One of the things you need to work on is is detecting the bad shots before they happen so you can "abort" that shot and start your shot process over again. You are beginning to have a fair number of pretty good shots. When you shoot a 10, you want to think about all the little details that helped to make that happen; your grip, breathing, trigger squeeze, sights, stance, etc. What did it look like? What did it feel like? That will help to reinforce the "muscle memory" required to shoot a good shot. You should also learn to be aware when something doesn't look or feel like it's evolving into another 10.

By far and away, the most common problem is that people hold too long. They hesitate because it looks a little wobbly, and then things go downhill from there. They either hold too long and only get wobblier, they start running low on oxygen, or they realize they are over-holding and force the shot off. Dry firing so that the timing of your trigger squeeze is automatic helps a lot.

If it doesn't look or feel like it's going to be a 10, PUT THE PISTOL DOWN!
Thanks sir!
This is today.

===
Now I must ask advise.
If I can chillax and shoot these.. why, why, why on earth cometh tournament and where
How to control and get inner peace in tournaments? My pulse goes up, my hands starts shaking.. literally I get panic attack.
It used to happen in practice too - how to control this?
Please help!
I have a year to prep for 3rd attempt at state. I must get it done.
And thank you all - specifically Gwhite sir.. for the help!
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

emre-nur wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:21 am I guess my problems are beyond advise :)

Image-1-2.jpg
No, it is highly ok. These are really good shots.
Now, if you can score 88, 4 times, that is 350+/400 you would qualify for zonal competitions in India.
Let me tell you something interesting.
In India, the local tournaments starts as State. 35 state championships, folks who scored 345+ qualifies to next.
That is local zone. There are 4 zones.
North, East, South, West. I belong to South Zone.
In the south zone you need to score 365+ to qualify for National.
In the national - it is now 600 point, 60 shot game.
You got to score 575/600 to qualify for National Team selection.

And then be in the top 8.
Now the interesting thing is, if you notice Olympic/World Cup.. the scores to qualify for the final round is 580ish.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_ ... air_pistol
There is a reason they put those numbers there.

So summary is my friend, is that in 2 months or so, you qualified for Indian state level shooting.
That is fantastic.
You can not hurry these things up. I am certain given a year or so, you will start scoring 575/600 with ease.
That is, if you do not give up and keep practicing.
And of course, I am obviously one of the most inexperience shooter here - but the other top shooters are there to help us.
Together we will succeed.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

nmondal wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:35 am Now I must ask advise.
If I can chillax and shoot these.. why, why, why on earth cometh tournament and where

How to control and get inner peace in tournaments? My pulse goes up, my hands starts shaking.. literally I get panic attack.
It used to happen in practice too - how to control this?
Please help!
I have a year to prep for 3rd attempt at state. I must get it done.
And thank you all - specifically Gwhite sir.. for the help!
Once you've figured out the mechanics of shooting lots of 10's, the next step is what is called "mental management". That is what allows you to shoot to your full potential in a match. There's lots of info out there on the subject. Do a search here, but also check out:

http://www.pilkguns.com/jparticles/jpcontents.htm

Several good books:

The Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Gallwey

Zen in the Art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel

Bullseye Mind by Raymond Prior

With Winning in Mind by Lanny Bassham

As a start, if you can control your breathing, it helps to derail the panic attacks. Try taking a few deep breaths as SLOWLY as you can, both in & out.

Also, study and learn your shot process in every detail. You need to be able to review it and get back to executing it properly when things fall apart. If you learn to trust it, and can recall it mentally in a match, it can help calm the jitters and get you back on track.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

This is today.
I Could sense 3 of the bad shots, but not all of them.
Is this an eye sight problem?
My hand jerked while taking the shot ( lack of sleep may be? Euro 2020 Finals, slept at 4 AM, go Italy ).
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

to nmondal
These errors are quite typical of a wrist jerk caused by poor triggering. Do more drying than sharp shooting, otherwise you will master these mistakes for a long time.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

pbrejsa wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:32 am to nmondal
These errors are quite typical of a wrist jerk caused by poor triggering. Do more drying than sharp shooting, otherwise you will master these mistakes for a long time.
Thanks! Luckily new grip.. so hopefully.. not permanent!
Thanks again!
And some material for me to read.
http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/conten ... e-security
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

This is today.
20 shots.
After noticing that first 10 shot is screwed up.
Then adjusted rear sight.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

not making much progress.
Image-1-7.jpg
Image-1-6.jpg
william

Post by william »

How much blank wall dry firing? What did you observe while doing it?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My first question is: Can you call your shots? If not, you aren't watching your sights.

At this stage, you should be able to call your shots within +/- 1 scoring ring, and 1 hour.