lost or stolen pistols- tell us your story

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
emre-nur

lost or stolen pistols- tell us your story

Post by emre-nur »

hi to all,

having bought an AP, it appeared to me that it is now the most precious item in my apartment— the only thing that seems wort to steal and carry. Of course, if the burglar know it is not a toy.

this brings to my mind that there must be many stories about stolen pistols, failed attempts or lucky moments..

have you ever had your pistol stolen?
tell us, how, when, was it found and more...
brent375hh

Re: lost or stolen pistols- tell us your story

Post by brent375hh »

You remind me of an interesting point. Many homeowners insurance policies don't cover Cash, Jewelry, Firearms, and Furs/Taxidermy.

An air gun is not a firearm, so I wonder if that makes it insured?
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Not had any stolen so far.

I have a few stories of super-smart people who kept their safe key on top of their safe and had their free-pistol taken and converted to a snubby, people who left their guns on the back seat of the car in full view and had them taken.

Also if you're careless with security the police will just take them - an entire detail went to the targets, looked back to see the police lobbing their rifles into the back of a police car, gave them a wave a drove off.

Here state associations usually come with insurance, better if your main insurer doesn't know.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

JamesHH wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:24 pm Not had any stolen so far.

I have a few stories of super-smart people who kept their safe key on top of their safe and had their free-pistol taken and converted to a snubby, people who left their guns on the back seat of the car in full view and had them taken.

Also if you're careless with security the police will just take them - an entire detail went to the targets, looked back to see the police lobbing their rifles into the back of a police car, gave them a wave a drove off.

Here state associations usually come with insurance, better if your main insurer doesn't know.
Where do you live that the police steal your belongings?
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

In Australia, and most places outside America, if you leave a firearm unsecured the police can and will seize it.

Its to stop this happening.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/florid ... 021-06-02/

I have heard second hand stories of pistol ranges where everyone went to the targets and returned to find their pistols stolen.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Unsecured is one thing, not carrying your rifle down to score targets and having it stolen by police is just wrong.
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

We'll have to do it like IDPA matches. Unload, Show Clear, Holster the pistol... Some leather maker is going to make a killing on his new line of free pistol holsters.
KDZ

Post by KDZ »

JamesHH wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:34 am In Australia, and most places outside America, if you leave a firearm unsecured the police can and will seize it.
More precisely these policies restrict 'lawful shootings' to agents of government, including your hope they will protect you from unlawful gun owners
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

brent375hh wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:24 am Unsecured is one thing, not carrying your rifle down to score targets and having it stolen by police is just wrong.
Here in Oz (New South Wales, other states might differ) you cannot shoot on a range without a fully licenced shooter acting as Range Officer. This hapless individual has to stay back with the guns when the other shooters go forward. It is often the case that shooters take the role in rotation so everyone gets to shoot in a lawful manner.

As JamesHH mentioned, there have been occasions when a lone shooter has gone forward to his target only to return to the bench to find his pistol stolen. These cases are what gave rise to the changes to the legislation to require an RO.

Bob
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Getting back to the original post...

A friend had his Walther GSP-C stolen while at Camp Perry.

Much later, the police contacted him saying someone found his pistol thrown under a bush.

Sadly, it was quite rusty by now. I machined a new barrel and removed as much rust from the upper housing as I could prior to bluing all the parts. It came out fairly well.

Years later, I bought this GSP-C upper via another Forum.

Sure pleased that the guy that blued it did a nice job!!!

Cheers,

Dave
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

KDZ wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:58 am
JamesHH wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:34 am In Australia, and most places outside America, if you leave a firearm unsecured the police can and will seize it.
More precisely these policies restrict 'lawful shootings' to agents of government, including your hope they will protect you from unlawful gun owners
The likelihood of being shot here by an unlawful gun owner is infinitesimally low, the likelihood of deflecting the bullet in flight with your own bullet even lower.

I'll bet the likelihood of being shot by an unlawful gun owner with a gun stolen from a careless or reckless owner is a whole lot higher where you are.

Gun thefts do happen here but on a relatively small scale.
KDZ

Post by KDZ »

[/quote]
The likelihood of being shot here by an unlawful gun owner is infinitesimally low, the likelihood of deflecting the bullet in flight with your own bullet even lower.

I'll bet the likelihood of being shot by an unlawful gun owner with a gun stolen from a careless or reckless owner is a whole lot higher where you are.

[/quote]

Say are you allowed to have knives there? Or cars?
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Of course, we're allowed guns too.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

KDZ wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:04 pm

[/quote]

Say are you allowed to have knives there? Or cars?
[/quote]https://pocketmultitools.com/are-multi- ... australia/