Any reason Tanner rifles are not more popular?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rapidfireXring

Re: Any reason Tanner rifles are not more popular?

Post by rapidfireXring »

dc.fireman wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:33 pm If you are going to rebarrel from 7.5x55 Swiss, to something else, be mindful of the cartridge rim diameter of .496". It's not a commonly used size (.308 family of cartridges uses .473", while 6.5x55 uses .478").
That also was one of my concerns!
John Whidden

Post by John Whidden »

We've rebarreled both G&E and Bleikers. Both of these are threaded at the breech ends, metric threads of course. The aluminum blocks are indeed a little different to work with than most domestic actions.
rapidfireXring

Post by rapidfireXring »

Who is "we" and what is your experience? What are the rifle calibers, brand of barrel and the prefered shooting discipline? Are the aluminum blocks just a support or integral for the threading?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

rapidfireXring wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:03 pm Who is "we" and what is your experience? What are the rifle calibers, brand of barrel and the prefered shooting discipline? Are the aluminum blocks just a support or integral for the threading?
I may have the wrong end of the stick (I am on the other side of the pond), but I presume John Whidden is the well known US fullbore shooter and gunsmith.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Yes, what is it now, 5 time National Long Range Champion in the U.S., winner of the Queen’s Prize Downunder in 2011? So many more trophies than I can recall in such a young man. John smiths what he shoots so he and his Company have plenty of experience. Check him out at www.whiddengunworks.com
rapidfireXring

Post by rapidfireXring »

rgibson wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:06 am Yes, what is it now, 5 time National Long Range Champion in the U.S., winner of the Queen’s Prize Downunder in 2011? So many more trophies than I can recall in such a young man. John smiths what he shoots so he and his Company have plenty of experience. Check him out at www.whiddengunworks.com
I found his site for his business. Also there are a few videos he posted on YouTube.

Anyway, here is a side-view of one of my Tanners. [url][Image/url]
Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

John Whidden wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:38 pm We've rebarreled both G&E and Bleikers. Both of these are threaded at the breech ends, metric threads of course. The aluminum blocks are indeed a little different to work with than most domestic actions.
I’ve noticed that the Swiss like the aluminium blocks for their recoil lugs. I’d be interested in your thoughts on them vs the recoil lug or spigot.