To lock open or not....?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David M

To lock open or not....?

Post by David M »

On a ISSF pistol do you want it to lock open on last shot or not ?
What do you think.....
william

Re: To lock open or not....?

Post by william »

NOT. Do you care why?
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Yes William, very interested. I'd prefer lock open. How the gun behaves after the last shot has exited the barrel seems to me to be immaterial.

Bob
Last edited by BobGee on Wed May 12, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
william

Post by william »

Actually 2 reasons:
1. "How the gun behaves after the last shot" has no bearing on where the bullet lands, but there is something to be said for having every shot feel the same.

B. Die Schadenfreude knowing that somebody somewhere is damaging his breech face and possibly firing pin by squeezing off a nonexistent sixth shot. Euro pistols must be at lesser risk because I remember Rapid-Fire shooters, wanting every shot to feel exactly the same, shooting empty pistols (which didn't lock back) at imaginary 6th targets.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I prefer it not to lock open, Standard/Rapid Fire, so that I can fire a "sixth" shot.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Not lock open:

- Same feel every shot.
- Same follow through on every shot.
- Less moving parts on the pistol = more reliability = less stuff that can go wrong
- Ability to fire a "sixth" shot (rapid/standard)
- Lock open is only necessary if you have to reload on the clock. You don´t reload on ISSF pistol.

Hope this helps
eugene

Post by eugene »

Lock open is useful when you need to flag/show safe after each string. Perhaps not that much a concern with ISSF but nice to have when you use the gun for other events where you have to.
william

Post by william »

eugene wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:31 am Lock open is useful when you need to flag/show safe after each string. Perhaps not that much a concern with ISSF but nice to have when you use the gun for other events where you have to.
You can still lock it open manually after a string to "show safe." It's no great burden.
eugene

Post by eugene »

william wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:42 am You can still lock it open manually after a string to "show safe." It's no great burden.
It's certainly not impossible (even on my Margolin that has no slide lock). Just not as handy.

On my part it's not something to choose the gun over though.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

David Levene wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:56 am . . . so that I can fire a "sixth" shot.
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

BobGee wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:18 am Yes William, very interested. I'd prefer lock open. How the gun behaves after the last shot has exited the barrel seems to me to be immaterial.

Bob
---except for trying to "call the shot" on the last shot of the 5-shot series. The recoil/overall feel after the last shot is very different when it locks open - and therefore makes calling the fall of shot on the target a difficult task.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

jliston48 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:49 am
BobGee wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:18 am Yes William, very interested. I'd prefer lock open. How the gun behaves after the last shot has exited the barrel seems to me to be immaterial.

Bob
---except for trying to "call the shot" on the last shot of the 5-shot series. The recoil/overall feel after the last shot is very different when it locks open - and therefore makes calling the fall of shot on the target a difficult task.
Good point!

Bob