Izh 46m - lube for a piston cup

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
UnGe

Izh 46m - lube for a piston cup

Post by UnGe »

I've searched archives, but looks like choosing the best lube is extremely subjective, everybody recommends different things.
Based on some recommendations I started to use 3in1 pneumatic tool oil, but looks like piston cup did not like it. In less than 2 months it lost its elasticity and started to leak air (I know it was not new, but worked perfectly for the first month). Luckily I had a spare one, and after a lot of swearing and straining my shoulder I managed to put it on; leaks stopped.
But now I am wondering, what oil/lube should I use on it for the cup to last a little longer? Any other ways to slow deterioration?
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Re: Izh 46m - lube for a piston cup

Post by atomicgale »

UnGe wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:03 pm . . . oil/lube should I use on it for the cup to last a little longer? Any other ways to slow deterioration?
Keep the "lube" away from your air guns.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Follow the specs found in the owners manual.

If you don't have one, PM me for pdf copy.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

NO LUBE FOR AIR GUNS!

The Great Atomic has SPOKEN!

kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

My Izzy piston cup has been lubed with FWB special grease for many years and it’s still working fine. A little goes a long way...
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Pat McCoy wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:44 pm Follow the specs found in the owners manual.

If you don't have one, PM me for pdf copy.
Not sure if you have a different one, AV's manual says "high-flashpoint oil designed specifically for use inside an air compression chamber" - not very specific
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

kevinweiho wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:13 am My Izzy piston cup has been lubed with FWB special grease for many years and it’s still working fine. A little goes a long way...
Do you oil it in addition to applying grease? Manual recommends regular oiling, grease for me associates with disassembly, not sure I want to do it regularly :)
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

atomicgale wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:03 pm NO LUBE FOR AIR GUNS!

The Great Atomic has SPOKEN!
viewtopic.php?t=61535#p295253
spektr

Post by spektr »

One application of FWB Grease should last you nearly indefinately.
Petroleum distillates of any kind will dissolve most airgun seals as you have experienced.
If the gun is kept clean, there would be no need to re lube it.
Try to resist the urge to make things last longer. Bone dry, it will run for a decade.
you cant pump it enough strokes fast enough to get anywhere near a wear failure point.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

spektr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:13 am One application of FWB Grease should last you nearly indefinately.
Petroleum distillates of any kind will dissolve most airgun seals as you have experienced.
If the gun is kept clean, there would be no need to re lube it.
Try to resist the urge to make things last longer. Bone dry, it will run for a decade.
you cant pump it enough strokes fast enough to get anywhere near a wear failure point.
Yes! One of the nice things about the 46M's is that they are essentially maintenance free. They may need occasional replacement of the O rings sealing the firing mechanism at the barrel, but this is quite straight forward and very simple. Now...if only they weighed just a tad less.......
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

UnGe wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:51 am
kevinweiho wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:13 am My Izzy piston cup has been lubed with FWB special grease for many years and it’s still working fine. A little goes a long way...
Do you oil it in addition to applying grease? Manual recommends regular oiling, grease for me associates with disassembly, not sure I want to do it regularly :)
The “special” grease is a combination of lubricating fluid, thickening agent and additives. You don’t need to use anything else. If you frequently use your pistol, feel the cocking stroke, is it consistent and smooth? Check the piston cup from time to time, grease sparingly when necessary.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

spektr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:13 amTry to resist the urge to make things last longer. Bone dry, it will run for a decade.
Bone dry seals will dry rot faster. Lubrication does help to decrease the deterioration.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

B Lafferty wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:21 amNow...if only they weighed just a tad less.......
Cross your fingers, they just need to replace the metal compression tube with titanium. I wouldn’t mind spending an additional $100-$150 for this upgrade, besides Russia has large reserves of Ti!...
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

In the IZH-46M, my main concern is the finish on the interior of the compression cylinder. It's highly polished, and plain steel. I feel it's important to keep some sort of rust prevention, when it is not in regular use. I'm thinking low-viscosity silicone-based oil. Thoughts?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I have a original 46 non M version from the 90s. I lubed it once with Super Lube. It still pumps just fine.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

So here is the mystery. AV manual recommends frequent oiling:
Screenshot 2021-05-10 063957.jpg
I've checked the original manual, and it says to clean and lube bore after each shooting (no oil recommendation, so regular gun one assumed), anything else - as necessary, with https://www.ebay.com/itm/233721816752 or https://www.ebay.com/itm/324057651540. Both are greases, not oils.
The manual also recommends lubing piston cup if pumping is hard

What is going on with AV manual translation?
Last edited by UnGe on Mon May 10, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Another interesting difference - original manual says that dry fire is done exactly as real one, just without pellet (re: multiple discussions about danger of pumping for dry fire)
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just to confuse things further: When I had Pilk do some work on my LPM1, I asked Buck what lube to use on the piston. He told me "none."
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Rover wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:17 am Just to confuse things further: When I had Pilk do some work on my LPM1, I asked Buck what lube to use on the piston. He told me "none."
I do respect Buck’s opinion, but there’s no shagging without lubrication. Go figure…
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

What do people think about the manufacturer's recommendation "clean and lube bore after each shooting" (probably the reason they include a rod in the set)? Do they know something we don't?