Looking for MU55-1m pieces

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ramon OP

Looking for MU55-1m pieces

Post by Ramon OP »

Hi all,

A shooter friend that does not dare to post in English is looking for some pieces for his free pistol. He's looked for them in Spain and even tried a blacksmith without success.

The pieces are 46,49 and 50 from their manual (page 10):

Do you have any that you are willing to let go or can point us in the right direction to buy them?

Thanks!
Ramon
stephen_maly

Re: Looking for MU55-1m pieces

Post by stephen_maly »

When the MTs 55-1's were originally sold, they each came with two spare hammers (part 46), but no bar and spring (49 and 50) as it was expected that those parts could be retrieved from the mechanism, and were not prone to breakage. Some years back I sent a spare hammer to a fellow in Belgium. He may have to have one fabricated.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Out of pure curiocity; is it really possible for those parts to get lost? Or get broken, or "consumed"?
Many years ago I owned a MU55 (MC55) for some time. Never got any part lost or broken.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

northpaw wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:17 am Out of pure curiocity; is it really possible for those parts to get lost? Or get broken, or "consumed"?
Many years ago I owned a MU55 (MC55) for some time. Never got any part lost or broken.
Yes, they break, like everything else.
Ramon
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

stephen_maly wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:49 pm When the MTs 55-1's were originally sold, they each came with two spare hammers (part 46), but no bar and spring (49 and 50) as it was expected that those parts could be retrieved from the mechanism, and were not prone to breakage. Some years back I sent a spare hammer to a fellow in Belgium. He may have to have one fabricated.
Who could make it? He's tried already with no luck.
Ramon
6string

Post by 6string »

Hello Ramon,

If your friend still has the original parts, he could look into having them repaired by micro welding.
This is a great approach for fixing rare broken parts. It does not affect the metallurgy of the part.
If you do a search, you will see micro welding is commonly used in firearms applications.

Here's an example
https://www.microprecisionwelding.com/gun-repair

Or
https://americanhandgunner.com/our-expe ... o-welding/

Jim
spektr

Post by spektr »

This is a subject Im quite familiar with.
Shooting obsolete pistols no longer supported by the factory means that you either get
very good at begging people for old parts, you make your own or you just stop shooting old quirky stuff.
I am lucky enough to make my own because I enjoy that almost as much as shootng the little treasures.
Perhaps thats your answer. Desktop mini lathes which will cut threads are around 600 ish but for years I whittled
firing pins out on a drill press with a dremel. Before I got a mill I used a Jewelers saw and a pile of file and stones
to make hammers links and other goodies. If you want the parts, they are available to you with your own hands. Like
anything worth doing, it is a learned skill. Make the parts in soft aluminum, figgure it out, then buy steel. Its not that
hard, it just takes time to learn how to do it. Start making parts that wear out or get lost like extractors. take baby steps, its fun.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Thanks a lot to all for your help :)
Ramon
6string

Post by 6string »

spektr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:29 am This is a subject Im quite familiar with.
Shooting obsolete pistols no longer supported by the factory means that you either get
very good at begging people for old parts, you make your own or you just stop shooting old quirky stuff.
I am lucky enough to make my own because I enjoy that almost as much as shootng the little treasures.
Perhaps thats your answer. Desktop mini lathes which will cut threads are around 600 ish but for years I whittled
firing pins out on a drill press with a dremel. Before I got a mill I used a Jewelers saw and a pile of file and stones
to make hammers links and other goodies. If you want the parts, they are available to you with your own hands. Like
anything worth doing, it is a learned skill. Make the parts in soft aluminum, figgure it out, then buy steel. Its not that
hard, it just takes time to learn how to do it. Start making parts that wear out or get lost like extractors. take baby steps, its fun.
Yes. I agree with all of this fine statement. Of course, most people aren't going to (or can't reasonably) follow suit.
All of the competition level guns are eventually going to become obsolete and unsupported. The difference is, the older stuff is more likely to have been designed by actual gunsmiths who, with some degree of foresight, take this matter into consideration.
Much of the newer designs are conceived from the standpoint of parts fabrication being done through MIM, investment casting, CNC, etc. These parts can be difficult to replicate by hand.
It's kinda like classic cars or vintage electronics. These things were designed to be serviceable.

The MU-55 is a wonderful design, beautifully excecuted out of fine steel. I honestly hope that Ramon's friend can find some help to have his parts repaired or duplicated.

Best Wishes!
rmca

Post by rmca »

spektr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:29 am This is a subject Im quite familiar with.
very good at begging people for old parts, you make your own or you just stop shooting old quirky stuff
I cound't have said it better...
Making a part "normally" isn't too dificult, and most times you only need a saw, a couple of files and a drill of some sorts.
Time is indispensable, and a bit of patience also helps.
Falling that, a friend with mechanical skills is the way to go...

Hope he gets that Mu back in order.