Steyr LP50 Questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
AManWearingAHat

Steyr LP50 Questions

Post by AManWearingAHat »

For the LP50 owners out there. I am considering picking one up so I can shoot air pistol at home to make up for the lack of other handgun practice due to ammunition availability. I would likely do some one handed ISSF style 10m bullseye shooting as well as some two handed "rapid fire" on miniaturized silhouette targets. My maximum shooting distance would probably 25m.

Looking at the LP-50 I see two versions available in two form factors. Regular and HP, and Compact vs Standard length. What would one gain with the extra velocity of the HP model? How many shots per fill are you sacrificing with the HP model? Is there any improvement in precision over distance? I am leaning compact currently as the form factor seems to more closely fit more traditional pistols.

Any insight the LP-50 owners out there can lend me would be appreciated!
Kjanracing

Re: Steyr LP50 Questions

Post by Kjanracing »

I have a standard length 50 that I put a red dot on, and installed the heavier trigger spring. I use it for BE training. I have 10 meters in my basement. I really like shooting it, I think it is good training. For two hand shooting you’ll probably want the 1911 grip. I have the standard velocity pistol. I’ll get around 100 or so rounds on a fill. I hear the HV versions only get around 25 shots per fill.
Kurt
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

When I talked to the very nice people at Pilk, I was told that they regulators can be turned up on the standard velocity LP50's and turned down on the HP or RF versions so I ended up getting the standard just so I could have more shots per fill. I went with the compact just so it resembled my BE pistol more and absolutely love it. My wife liked mine so much that I bought her one too. I would think the only time you would need the extra velocity is if you are shooting outside or using it to hunt small critters, otherwise the standard velocity will work just fine.
CraigB5940

Post by CraigB5940 »

I got a standard model compact from our host about 6 weeks ago new. I had them add the extra spring to get it to 3.5 lbs on the trigger. I can shoot a 90 shots per cylinder before the velocity drop causes my shots to go low. It's been reliable (about 1500 shots through it so far) and fun to shoot. I shoot a 900 Bullseye match at home with a turning target system and 10 meter AP target.

I feel that the only drawback is that there is no recoil so rapid and timed fire can't be simulated exactly as with the recoil cycle and trigger press start at the apex of the recoil cycle as with 22 and 45. You can finish the rapid fire cycle in 3 seconds with no stress.
The positive is that it is definitely keeping the muscle memory, grip strength and target turn timing skills intact and allowing me to save more of my ammo supply for match shooting for the next 3 years. I bought it as a tool to reduce my practice and training ammo consumption due to the current ammo shortage.

Buy one you won't be sorry you did!
Craig B
AManWearingAHat

I have an email in with our site sponsor and will likely be purchasing from them.

What is the velocity range achievable on the standard and HP versions?

Are the trigger springs user swappable?
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

Standard is about 480fps and I think the HP was closer to 700?? Yes you can easily swap the spring out yourself, Steyr has a video on their youtube page.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

AManWearingAHat wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:19 am I have an email in with our site sponsor and will likely be purchasing from them.
OUTSTANDING!!!
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

You may have guessed it, I own three of those; one LP 5 long, 1000 g+ trigger, one LP 50 long, 600 gram trigger, and one LP 50 compact 1000 g+ trigger. I prefer the LP 50 compact, 1000 g + trigger. Enjoyable, reliable guns, all of them. Recon I have fired tens of thousands (maybe even a full 100.000 in total) of shots with those guns.
My LP 50 compact is stuffed with 8 counterweights. I plan to add some more...
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

I may add some extra weights to mine as well, I am using two now.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have a full sized one, and it is difficult to get the weight & balance to match a standard pistol. I got my wife the compact version, and I could set it up to be fairly close to a Pardini SP by loading it up with weights near the back.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Gwhite wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:12 pm I got my wife the compact version, and I could set it up to be fairly close to a Pardini SP by loading it up with weights near the back.
I have attached weights to get weight distribution similar to my 9 mm semiauato:
https://www.stpgun.de/e-thor-6-0-stp-pr ... stole.html

Then I need a fair amount of attachable weights, as my 9 mm is a hefty 1405 grams, roughly 3.1 lbs.
AManWearingAHat

I have a new LP-50 Standard, Compact on the way from our wonderful Forum Sponsor!

This is my first time dealing with Pilk and I must say the people there are great to deal with and patiently answered all my questions. Happy to do business with them. Thank you everyone who took the time to answer my questions.
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

Yeah they were great to deal with when I bought mine too.