Get a grip, man!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
pooklord

Re: Get a grip, man!

Post by pooklord »

atomicgale wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:27 am
Here's some serious BLING! Tap-in two .380 95-grain FMJs. These have twin built-in gyroscopic stabilizers AND are a benchmark guide to keep width of palm shelf under 50mm (1.968") to fit pistol in "The Box."

What is the can of "Morini" stuff in the background? Where do you get that? Is it the putty like material I see on the grip?
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

pooklord wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:05 pm What is the can of "Morini" stuff in the background? Where do you get that? Is it the putty like material I see on the grip?
It's Morini plastic wood - basically fancy grip putty. From Canada - customs never a hassle - about sixty bucks.
Ebay; LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Morini-Compoun ... XQPW5SHPLZ

Now, a little more Redneck: JB Weld Wood-Weld - basically same function - Nine bucks.
Amazon; LINK: https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8251-Wo ... 395&sr=8-1

Best stuff: Total all-in Appalachian-Hill-Billy-fix-the-meth-lab-in-the-tenant's-single-wide DEV-CON #10110 Steel-Putty(A). Works on anything; including Olympic-level air pistols
EBT card only, Amazon; LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-10110-Pla ... 176&sr=8-3
Note: The steel-epoxy is great for building up a foundation, a layer, or an edge - it will stick to anything. However, do NOT try to form-mold your hand or palm with this - doesn't work; that's what the grip putty is for.
william

Post by william »

This stuff is cheap, functional and incredibly easy to use. Slice off as much as needed and knead it in your hand until the two components are thoroughly mixed. It gives off a little heat which lets you know it's working. Mold it onto the area it's needed, and give it a little while to cure. Wash your hands, and Bob's your uncle.

I've found it easier to build up layers if you've applied too little than grinding / filing off if you've stuck on too much.
71v3wI7NoEL._AC_SY450_.jpg
71v3wI7NoEL._AC_SY450_.jpg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, Willie, we finally agree on something. There are several brands of this stuff at Home Depot or any hardware store. Easy to use, BUT you must first GRIND a thin layer into your grip before building it up or it won't adhere well. This stuff is the cheapest and easiest to work with of anything I've tried.
KDZ

Post by KDZ »

Milliput has worked well on my grip. Easy to mold and bonds well without roughing up the surface. Once set it can be touched up with file or sandpaper.

https://www.milliput.com/
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

william wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:04 am This stuff is cheap, functional and incredibly easy to use. Slice off as much as needed and knead it in your hand until the two components are thoroughly mixed. It gives off a little heat which lets you know it's working. Mold it onto the area it's needed, and give it a little while to cure. Wash your hands, and Bob's your uncle.

I've found it easier to build up layers if you've applied too little than grinding / filing off if you've stuck on too much.71v3wI7NoEL._AC_SY450_.jpg
Best stuff on the market. Super easy to "mix" and mold to the needed form on a grip. I just used it on a grip from Precision Pistol Grips. It fully sets in an hour and you're ready to go. I put a second layer on which was near perfect when dry an hour later.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

JonPersson wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:46 am One can also do this:

Modify your existing grip with clay/dremmel or whatever you want. Shoot it and adjust if needed. Then when you don’t feel the need to improve further, you send the grip to Rink and have them scan it and make a copy of it. That way your grip will not only look “new and untouched” (if that’s important to you) but will be exactly as you made it.

Rink can also transfer the grip to other pistols if you want.
I've always been curious about this... Do you need to do this with a Rink grip, or is their system so good that you can fit a factory grip to your hand and then Rink can scan and transfer to one of theirs?
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
This is done using M-seal.

This ensures ( given I shoot with left eye - but right handed shooter ) - there is straight alignment of left eye and the sights.
Trying to be as close as this:
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

nmondal wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:48 am Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
This is done using M-seal.

This ensures ( given I shoot with left eye - but right handed shooter ) - there is straight alignment of left eye and the sights.
Trying to be as close as this:
No doubt functional, but is it competition legal as in the pistol fitting in the dreaded box?
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

McMadCow wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:47 am I've always been curious about this... Do you need to do this with a Rink grip, or is their system so good that you can fit a factory grip to your hand and then Rink can scan and transfer to one of theirs?
They 3-d scan whatever grip you send them and make a new “custom” Rink grip that will be exact as your modified grip.

I have promised to give myself a treat and send my grip (modified Steyr original) to Rink if I manage to shoot 570 in an official ranking competition. Will have to wait for COVID to ease up a little before the real competitions start here again though (Sweden)
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

JonPersson wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:08 pm They 3-d scan whatever grip you send them and make a new “custom” Rink grip that will be exact as your modified grip.

I have promised to give myself a treat and send my grip (modified Steyr original) to Rink if I manage to shoot 570 in an official ranking competition. Will have to wait for COVID to ease up a little before the real competitions start here again though (Sweden)
Wow, that's so cool that they can use a 3rd party grip and translate it to theirs. Maybe I should set a similar goal of my own...
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

JonPersson wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:08 pm They 3-d scan whatever grip you send them and make a new “custom” Rink grip that will be exact as your modified grip.
There's a video of a custom grip fitting session, with this scanning. About halfway through, he has built up the basic shape with putty, which he marks and scans. He does some interesting tweaks to the design before he finalizes the shape. Then, it's all CNC'd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5OgAnGg4mc
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

It is ART?
. . . or something laying in the backyard you almost stepped in?

. . . not quite done with it yet . . . .
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

It doesn't matter what the look is. But don't ask your wife for that. But when it comes to the grip, it's an insurmountable truth. The grip hits, then I don't touch it anymore, even if it looks like a bastard. I'd rather buy another, even a new one, and dig into the new one and compare the results of the shooting. Points are important, but especially the feeling of making fun of ... It's an endless story.
eugene

Post by eugene »

I need an advice. Shooting size S grip on a loaner Morini CM 162 at the moment, which sounds about right with my palm ~86mm across. However it takes plenty of fill to eliminate air pockets under knuckles and the palm. I did try Morini M, and my fingers are too short there to align at right angle on the front.

Now am considering getting my own match pistol (P8X) but bit unsure if I should go for S and a can of filler or get a larger one and file down much of it. What would you do?
Attachments
IMG_2509.jpg
rmca

Post by rmca »

It's WAY EASIER to file down than to add...
And you'll end up with an all wood grip, that can be finnished to look factory new.
An all wood grip is also a plus if you have sweaty hands. It wont slip as much...

Hope this helps
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Post by rmca » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 pm

It's WAY EASIER to file down than to add...
And you'll end up with an all wood grip, that can be finnished to look factory new.
An all wood grip is also a plus if you have sweaty hands. It wont slip as much...

Hope this helps
✅
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

Voila'! A veritable Michelangelo.
After multiple putty/grind/sand; hopefully this is last iteration prior to final spring CMP match.
Ventooeste

Post by Ventooeste »

I spent more wood past than Shoshone Forest and I just did shit. It is what makes you want to know more than the builders grips. Now it's all about simplicity. Original grips, RWS Basic pellets, Sagres beer and I'm happy.
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

I've shot 101 sessions on my TargetScan app to give me an average of 555. I switched to Rink about a year in to owning my Evo e; it wasn't the magic bullet I thought it would be. I went back to original but after not being able to sell the Rink I thought I'd stick it back on. The Rink feels like my Walther LP400 which I absolutely love (ave 551 with 17 sessions). The grip is factory standard, although standard still has quite a degree of customization. The grip feels pretty good but not as good as the Walther. I thought about having Rink copy the Walther but it looks to me like it wouldn't work as the electrics wouldn't fit; anyway, it's not the grips that make the difference, it's doing everything else properly. Grips might make a difference for someone shooting 570+ (don't know) but I can group perfectly well in the 10 ring when I do my bit right, the grip won't change that much there I'm sure.

Just my opinion.