Air Pistol a la Zola Budd?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
B Lafferty

Air Pistol a la Zola Budd?

Post by B Lafferty »

A vaccinated friend and I were drinking single malt Scot's whiskey last evening (Glenlivet 18) when the conversation turned (how it turned I can't now recall) to running and Zola Budd. Budd ran, won and set records running barefoot. My by then besotted friend inquired about competing barefooted in 10 meter air pistol and whether there were any competitors in that discipline shooting without shoes. I pointed out that there is a flexibility requirement for the soles of shoes under ISSF rules and that there was even a device created for test sole flexibility. If one did compete shoeless, might one's feet have to be tested for required flexibility? Enquiring minds would like to know. ;-)
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
JariN

Re: Air Pistol a la Zola Budd?

Post by JariN »

By The Book, one shall not compete shoeless.

Athletes may not wear sandals of any type or remove their shoes (with or without socks).
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

JariN wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:23 am By The Book, one shall not compete shoeless.

Athletes may not wear sandals of any type or remove their shoes (with or without socks).
Do bare feet give one a significant advantage or are there aesthetic reasons for the rule?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Shooting .22's with bare feet is not a good idea due to hot brass, but I believe the theory of stiff shoes is that your balance/stability is better when your feet are in contact with a rigid surface (which the ground would qualify as...). I know that I'm more wobbly if I wear squishy athletic shoes.

There was a collegiate shooter back around 1980 who did very well shooting barefoot. I think he switched to shooting in toe socks when people objected.

Nowadays, they have toe shoes. They aren't sandals, so I would think they would be legal, at least until it became popular and they changed the rules...

https://us.vibram.com/shop/shop-all-pro ... fingers-1/
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:44 am Shooting .22's with bare feet is not a good idea due to hot brass, but I believe the theory of stiff shoes is that your balance/stability is better when your feet are in contact with a rigid surface (which the ground would qualify as...). I know that I'm more wobbly if I wear squishy athletic shoes.

There was a collegiate shooter back around 1980 who did very well shooting barefoot. I think he switched to shooting in toe socks when people objected.

Nowadays, they have toe shoes. They aren't sandals, so I would think they would be legal, at least until it became popular and they changed the rules...

https://us.vibram.com/shop/shop-all-pro ... fingers-1/
Having visions of the film Aeon Flux....:-)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I lost the MN junior state small bore match to a girl that shot barefoot in the late 70s.
Dawn even suggested I take off my cowboy boots. I don't know what the NRA rules where then, but I should have listened to her. Bone on a oak floor is more solid. Just shooting on padded carpet makes a difference in stability.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

brent375hh wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:09 pm ... even suggested I take off my cowboy boots.
Take off boots you have been wearing during a hot summer day? In respect to competitors next to you, don´t do that. I´m thinking of the odor from rotting socks. "Illaluktande" socks , could that bring an edge over competitors next to you, even the whole firing line?

I often do my indoor AP training without shoes, but with socks (fresh from laundry). I think that improves my body balance.
pcw

Post by pcw »

"My python boot is too tight, I couldn't get it off last night. A week went by and now it's July. I finally got it off and my girl friend cried " you've got the Stinkfoot"