25m pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Azmodan

25m pistol

Post by Azmodan »

most of the talk on this forum is about air pistol, with free pistol second.
but there is almost no talk about 25m sport pistol for women and the other 25m pistol events - standard and center fire.

i;m interested in a guide for sport pistol / center fire (same event, different caliber) but couldn't find any documentation on the net or any discussion on this forum. has anyone a link to some materials?

my questions are:
- what sight picture is used? sub-6 hold for precision stage and center hold for rapid stage? (with the appropriate rear sight modification between stages?) or something else?
- in the rapid stage, how is one supposed to breathe? intake air when lifting the pistol? hold breath when lifting? other technique?
- in the rapid stage, press the first stage of the trigger while waiting for the target to turn or press the first stage as you lift the pistol?
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Coolmeester

Re: 25m pistol

Post by Coolmeester »

Azmodan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:00 am most of the talk on this forum is about air pistol, with free pistol second.
but there is almost no talk about 25m sport pistol for women and the other 25m pistol events - standard and center fire.

i;m interested in a guide for sport pistol / center fire (same event, different caliber) but couldn't find any documentation on the net or any discussion on this forum. has anyone a link to some materials?

my questions are:
- what sight picture is used? sub-6 hold for precision stage and center hold for rapid stage? (with the appropriate rear sight modification between stages?) or something else?
- in the rapid stage, how is one supposed to breathe? intake air when lifting the pistol? hold breath when lifting? other technique?
- in the rapid stage, press the first stage of the trigger while waiting for the target to turn or press the first stage as you lift the pistol?
1. Yes
2. Hold while lifting
3. You press 1st stage while aiming at the target. First before/during "attention" command, other shots after your follow thru each time before lowering your arm again.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Azmodan, I plan to shoot a .38 special revolver for center-fire, is there any restrictions on ammo such as bullet type or weight? I thought a 148 gr. lead wadcutter would be perfect but can't see anything about ammo in the rules. I figure a lot of shooters would prefer a .32 caliber of sorts.
Your right, not a lot of talk on other disciplines, I like Standard Pistol also.
Stan
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

Centre fire and standard pistol (as awesome as they are) are not Olympic events so that’s probably why no one writes about those.

But still: not a lot of 25m sport pistol or Rapid fire either so your point is still valid.

Just realized: 50m pistol is not an Olympic event anymore, but I suspect people will continue write about it here.

I don’t mind. I think all ISSF pistol events could be written about here.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

porkchop wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:14 pm Azmodan, I plan to shoot a .38 special revolver for center-fire, is there any restrictions on ammo such as bullet type or weight? I thought a 148 gr. lead wadcutter would be perfect but can't see anything about ammo in the rules. I figure a lot of shooters would prefer a .32 caliber of sorts.
Your right, not a lot of talk on other disciplines, I like Standard Pistol also.
Stan
check ISSF RuleBook section 8.4.4, 8.4.4.1, 8.4.4.2
David M

Post by David M »

Azmodan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:00 am my questions are:
I shoot a Manurhin Match .38 revolver with a single stage trigger.
Precision is a sub 6 hold with just below centre hold for rapid stage.
Breathing is one or two breaths during 7 sec, exhale just prior to turn, hold, inhale chest expansion on lift and exhale after shot.
Trigger is pre loaded during hold at 45 deg, trigger set for .38 special to about 1200g (1000g is too light for recoil and hold).
Loaded with a 134g button nose cast wadcuter at 720-759 fps.
In a Manurhin, the .38 special out shoots the .32 long.
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Okay, I see no High Power or Magnum loads allowed. I see no restrictions on bullet type or weight. The other 2 rules, 8.4.4.1 deals with testing and 8.4.4.2 is the only restrictions I could see, being 250 Meters per second or 820 feet per second. I'm thinking 8.4.4.2 is in reference to a .22 caliber cartridge.
Stan
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

You are not allowed to use jacketed bullets in centerfire.
The rule about 250 m/s applies only in rapidfire pistol.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

for Center Fire Pistol, the recommended caliber/cartridge is .32 S&W Long Wadcutter.
i;ve only seen 3 guns in that caliber: Pardini HP, Matchguns MG4 and Walther GSP 32.
are there any other guns in that caliber?
JariN

Post by JariN »

Other manufacturers for guns in .32 S&W LW:
-Benelli
-Hämmerli
-FAS
-Morini
-Unique
-Sako
-Manurhin
-Smith&Wesson

Some of those have not been manufactured for years/decades so not available as new.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

https://www.issf-sports.org/getfile.asp ... ooting.pdf

Has a great discussion on standard pistol, rapid fire pistol lift.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Rapid Fire Pistol Basics / RFP 101 https://www.olympicpistol.com/rapid-fire-pistol-basics/

There's even a PDF download
Ramon
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

made a review of my Walther GSP
https://youtu.be/oxHaV-00akM
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Here in the UK we shoot Std, Sport and rapid at 25 meters with LP50's and no we don't need to turn up the power, The British Pistol Club run monthly competitions at our National Shooting Centre Bisley as well as a national competition each year, other institutions also run 25m meter comps at Bisley too. It is growing in popularity too. We are not allowed to shoot real pistols here.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you browse for .32 info here, you get nothing but "problems."

I shot .38 for many years with several guns, including a S&W Model 19 .357 with light loads (extremely accurate). There is mucho info on .38 care and feeding out there. All loads were 148 grain lead wadcutters.

I found NO handicap using a .38, if anything, just the opposite.
FWB_700_Alu

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

I also shoot 25m pistol. We also have a "Standard" dicipline shooting 4x 5 shots in 150 seconds, 4x 5 shots in 20 seconds and 4x 5 shots in 10 seconds. For 25m in Centerfire I use a SIG/Hämmerli 240 in 38 WC. A dream pistol.
Korp

Post by Korp »

FWB_700_Alu wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:42 am I also shoot 25m pistol. We also have a "Standard" dicipline shooting 4x 5 shots in 150 seconds, 4x 5 shots in 20 seconds and 4x 5 shots in 10 seconds. For 25m in Centerfire I use a SIG/Hämmerli 240 in 38 WC. A dream pistol.
Standard is an international discipline under the ISSF along with 10m air pistol, 25m pistol, 25m rapid fire, 25m center fire, 50m pistol.