Looking for a Walther SSP trigger expert

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Ray Dash

Looking for a Walther SSP trigger expert

Post by Ray Dash »

I am looking at my Walther SSP manual and its all gibberish to me. I am wondering if anyone can define the terms they are using to make them a bit more understandable.

Trigger Slack Weight - Screw A - I am thinking this is the weight of the first stage of the trigger?
Trigger Slack Path - Screw B - First stage travel?
Sear point weight - Screw C - Second stage trigger weight?
Sear Point- Slotted head screw- Screw D- What does this one do?
Pawl Intersection - Screw E and B - I understand that both need to be adjusted together but what do they actually do?
Attachments
SSP Trigger.jpg
SSP Trigger 2.jpg
-TT-

Re: Looking for a Walther SSP trigger expert

Post by -TT- »

Ray Dash wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:13 pm I am looking at my Walther SSP manual and its all gibberish to me. I am wondering if anyone can define the terms they are using to make them a bit more understandable.

Trigger Slack Weight - Screw A - I am thinking this is the weight of the first stage of the trigger?
Pawl Intersection - Screw E and B - I understand that both need to be adjusted together but what do they actually do?
The terms are relatively commonly used in European pistols, but I'm not an SSP expert so I won't try to guess too much.

Trigger Slack is the total trigger movement, not just the first stage. I'd assume the "path" is the overtravel stop setting, mainly because no other setting seems to list that.

Sear Point is the second stage, apparently adjustable for distance and step-up weight relative to the total slack.

Pawl intersection - the disconnector (which is a pawl/ratchet mechanism). Be super careful there, if you change screws B or E you need to understand the effect, or risk going full-auto.
David M

Post by David M »

Ray Dash wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:13 pm I am looking at my Walther SSP manual and its all gibberish to me. I am wondering if anyone can define the terms they are using to make them a bit more understandable.

A- first stage weight
B- Trigger forward travel stop. Sets total forward travel.
C- second stage weight
D- sear point or second stage travel/position. Sets the position of 2nd stage point in relation to sear break.
(Set short for "break like glass" feel or set long for "roll off" type feel. If set short, use a heavier 2nd stage weight or may not re-set sear.)
E- transfer bar engage clearance. Use with B to set a clearance for transfer bar to re-engage with forward slide travel.
(Insufficent clearance or rattle will cause malfunctions by not allowing trigger to re-set for next shot.)
F- trigger over travel stop. Limit aft travel after sear break.
G- trigger fwd/aft position
H- trigger swivel/rotation
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

I had my trigger set at 2.5lbs but I didn't like the way it felt. Adjusting screw D make a big difference on how the break feels. I will try it out tomorrow if I can get to the range.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Changing the sear point (screw D) will also affect the felt second stage weight, because of the linear effect on spring force. If you really want to play, try also adjusting screw C, you may find it's a subtle change, but more precise.