Is 50M pistol a dead sport?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Is 50M pistol a dead sport?

Post by brent375hh »

I realized that it was no longer an Olympic sport, but thought it was still a WC sport. I was wrong.

Sad.
northpaw

Re: Is 50M pistol a dead sport?

Post by northpaw »

Not an olympic dicipline any more.
But free pistol 50 metres is still alive:
European championships 2021 in Croatia:

http://www.esc-shooting.org/u/documents ... 022021.pdf

See may 26 and may 27: Pistol 50 m. Men, women and juniors, both days.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

in continental and world championships is still shot. just like standard pistol and centerfire pistol.
but no finals (the 60 shots match only).

btw..i just shot my first freepistol match in the romanian championship (we were 2 competitors :) )
20210327_114117_resz.jpg
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

brent375hh wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:44 pm I realized that it was no longer an Olympic sport, but thought it was still a WC sport. I was wrong.

Sad.
I am gutted. I thought that ISSF would continue to carry the torch! Perhaps this Covid year might be limiting the events. I sincerely hope so. I was surprised to learn just recently that Jin Jong-oh was a member of the ISSF Athletes Committee when FP was canned from the Olympics and he voted in favour of the elimination. Maybe he did not want anyone to ever have the chance of topping his 3 x OG or WC 583 records! Potentially treacherous if true!

Bob
eugene

Post by eugene »

Perhaps it was a choice between keeping 10m AP or FP? Can't imagine eliminating an Olympic discipline was ISSF grassroots initiative.
rmca

Post by rmca »

This topic has been beaten to death on this forum...
The reason was equal number of medals for man and women.
We have 15 Olympic disciplines, 5 pistol, 5 rifle and 5 shotgun. They were divided 3-2 (man-woman).
One of each had to go to give room for a mix event, to have equal number of medals between man-woman.

Do a search for more details...

Hope this helps
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

rmca wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:26 pm This topic has been beaten to death on this forum...
BUT we had hoped that the ISSF would continue with the event in World Cups and Championships. Perhaps they’ve decided to go down the same road as the IOC to equal medals.

I believe that the solution would be to dispense with the rather dated concept of “men’s” and “women’s” events: open them all up to both (all?) genders. If women are considered to be fundamentally weaker than men, it is up to the firearms manufacturers to cater for that (as does FWB with its AW93 Lite and air pistol makers with their “short” versions - though these leave shooters at a disadvantage with a shorter sight radius and short pistols are not seen on the line at the elite level). There are no minimum pistol weights in the rules - let titanium rule!

We have female 50m competitors in Oz at club level and I’m sure that they exist elsewhere so why not do the obvious thing and make all event “open”?

Bob
Last edited by BobGee on Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmca

Post by rmca »

While I support an equal number of medals for man and women, I think that the solution to this, should not have been the dismissal of any disciplines.
A mixed 50m pistol event would have been a far better solution, than a mixed air pistol event.
That would permit the continuation of free pistol, and have three events (same solution in prone rifle) on the 50m range. This way, the Olympic organizer has to built a 50m range for a single competition (3x40), and I think that might make them next on the chopping board...

Sad times...
django

Post by django »

all 10 m - 50 m is death sport.
I'm an issf shooter I'm even lazy to watch the finals both online and offline. I will fall asleep watching it. I prefer watching archery over issf shooting. Shootgun and 25 meter are somewhat better but the overal is boring. His athletic look was like a zombie and there was no expression on his face that made everything look boring. I remember in the past there were athletes who were quite temperamental when they hit or missed a shot and it was very entertaining. There is drama in it. If there is drama it will be interesting to see. Honestly, silhouette shooting is much more interesting to watch, but why issf not trying to accommodate that branch.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

In truth, most sports can be rather dull to watch if you are not a participant, directly or indirectly. Even soccer if you don’t support one side or the other.

Maybe the IIOC should switch to IPSC for action content, but they have a number of divisions which might result in the same issues.

Bob
6string

Post by 6string »

I've been out of the loop somewhat, so this thread is particularly interesting.

Yes, I agree with the OP that this is sad.
But, what really bothers me is the idea of valuing any high level endeavor, athletic or otherwise, based on it's spectator (consumer?) appeal.
Maybe that's why we were hearing about Olympic Pole Dancing some time ago??
Last time I saw any summer Olympic coverage was one or two games ago. There was some sort of kayak obstacle course (?), I think. Looked more like a gameshow.

Speaks volumes about the state of our culture and society....