Shooting Pants and Shoes

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ejcrist

Shooting Pants and Shoes

Post by ejcrist »

I just started shooting 10m Standing and I'm having a blast. I only shot it three times so far and I'm learning small things can make a big difference in your score. I bought an ISSF jacket from Champion's Choice a little while ago along with the undergarments and it's really make a difference - my first match I shot a 327, got the jacket and shot a 379 at the second match, and this past week I shot a 405. I know they're not high scores compared to others but my point is the jacket really helped. I've been looking at shooting pants and Sauer Perfect Top Shooting Boots and I'm thinking about getting them too. My question - how much will the pants and boots help for ISSF 10m standing? Personally I think the boots will help me a lot because I frequently have to readjust my rear foot because it slips a little throughout the match and I find myself having to realign. The pants I don't know, but if they'll help with back support even a little I think they'd be worth getting. If anyone's had any experience with the pants and/or boots and could let me know their opinion I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, Gene
Pat McCoy

Re: Shooting Pants and Shoes

Post by Pat McCoy »

The pants will help as much as, if not more than, the jacket. Advantage of the boots is the flat sole, so your very do not rock (but you can start with a cheap pair of court shoes which are flat bottomed and go to actual shooting boots when you get to matches with equipment checks.

Whatever you do, continue to practice occasionally without the special clothing, to be sure your basic position is stable. Don,t rely on the equipment for basic stability, just as a small aid to maintaining a good position.
ejcrist

Re: Shooting Pants and Shoes

Post by ejcrist »

Thanks Pat - very much appreciate the information. Everyone I talked to so far that shot 10m never tried the pants so didn't know. I'll give them a try. I'll also try a pair of tennis shoes with flat bottoms. Good point about shooting occasionally without the gear. Thanks again.

Gene