Separating two-part Izzy grips

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Oldnslow

Separating two-part Izzy grips

Post by Oldnslow »

My IZH 46 grips wobble a bit. I removed them hoping to separate the two halves and locate the region of play between metal and wood (as recommended in a thread here). The two halves seem glued together. Is that true of later model Izzys? If so it it possible to separate them without breaking them?

I've read here and elsewhere that two screws hold the grip to the frame and a third holds the two halves of the grip together (not counting the two screws that hold the hand support to the right grip). I think my grips have only two holes in them, for the screws holding the grip to the frame.

I re-installed the grips after placing some thin metal shims (cut from a steel can) on the front and back of the stub of frame that extends into the grips, but I can still feel a slight wobble. It's not a big deal but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Oldnslow (aka Plinker)
brent375hh

Re: Separating two-part Izzy grips

Post by brent375hh »

Mine are two piece, but maybe they changed them?
I used layers of masking tape until mine where as tight as I wished.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

To get grip off izh46 frame just unscrew, then pull frame out. You don’t need to separate the grip in two.

I had putty my grip, did not remember to cut the grip separation line before epoxy puffy hardened. But learned you don’t really have to do that to take grip off. Just unscrew, mallet tap, and pull.

As for the slight wobble. I find epoxy putty works better. Put slight amount of epoxy putty on the four corners of the wood grip. Lubricate the metal frame grip stock with thin coat of lubricant oil. Stick stock into grip. Epoxy puddy will become part of wood grip, but not sticking to metal frame stock.

I found this much better than using paper/tape/wood shimmy/metal stick etc.
Oldnslow

Post by Oldnslow »

Thank you Seamaster, I'll give that a try.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Also, I would change the grip screws. I would change the screws to a hex wrenched screw. Go to Ace Hardware, get some proper sized screws and washers. If the screws are slightly long, put in some washers. Screw in the screws until it touches the wood on the other side of grip, then tighten a little bit more. That would stabilize that IZH frame in grip well.
ArTee

Post by ArTee »

Shims work too fitted to the inside. Each grip has to be fitted. You may notice some extra shims glued in from the factory.