Gehmann Trap Reviews?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Gehmann Trap Reviews?

Post by brent375hh »

Who has the Gehmann Trap with the spring loaded backplate?

The trap I currently use has a small amount of dust that shows on the front of it shooting 525 fps.

Does the spring plate stop the dust?
Gwhite

Re: Gehmann Trap Reviews?

Post by Gwhite »

My experience with a similar trap (it uses foam rubber instead of a spring & is a bit quieter) is that it does produce a small amount of lead dust. I think just about any trap with a rigid plate will.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I am happy with mine after using it for a decade or more. However, if I change targets IMMEDIATELY after shooting a string, there is a small amount of sweet smelling dust that I presume is lead dust. Therefore, I simply wait a minute or so after my last shot before changing the target.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
DWood

Post by DWood »

I ordered one and received it in the mail. I’ll be adding a bit of duct seal to certain areas to try to make it more quiet. The plan is to add some to the bottom of the trap so that the back plate is angled down. I’ll also add a bit to the top tabs that hold the plate to minimize metal on metal noise. I’ll try to remember to post a photo if it works out well.
Rover

Post by Rover »

There have been many similar threads here on this subject.

I fail to see why many are opposed to this simple solution:

BOX O' RAGS

1) Free
2) No lead dust
3) No noise
4) No cleanup
5) Improves with use
6) Instant disposal or recycle after two cases (not sleeves) of pellets
7) Did I mention FREE
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Rover wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:17 am There have been many similar threads here on this subject.

BOX O' RAGS

1) Free
2) No lead dust
3) No noise
4) No cleanup
5) Improves with use
7) Did I mention FREE
I agree, cheap and effective. I use stacked cardboard instead of rags. easy-peasy
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Rover wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:17 am There have been many similar threads here on this subject.

BOX O' RAGS

1) Free
2) No lead dust
3) No noise
4) No cleanup
5) Improves with use
7) Did I mention FREE

I do not now where to get rags. I am still wearing shirts from 1986.
When do you know when it is no longer effective, when you see a group of holes in your sheet rock?
What kind of depth do I need with these rags?
How many pounds of lead do you have in this box when you are done with it? Disposal? No way, lead is worth a dollar a pound.
DWood

Post by DWood »

Ok, here is what I did.

I took about a quarter of a pound of duct seal and added it in different places in the trap to deaden the noise. I added a large chunk at the bottom of the plate so the plate would angle downward. This didn’t really work out to direct the pellets down, but it did reduced the noise significantly. I then added smaller pieces of duct seal to different areas of the trap to further reduce the noise. It works, but it’s still far from silent.

Next I used epoxy to attach an acra Swiss plate to the bottom of the trap. Now I can use my tripod as a lightweight target stand that is very portable. Just what I wanted.
Attachments
A4F97684-84F2-48CF-96F2-AF8369C9A9F1.jpeg
Rover

Post by Rover »

Since you ask:
"I do not now where to get rags. I am still wearing shirts from 1986.
When do you know when it is no longer effective, when you see a group of holes in your sheet rock?
How many pounds of lead do you have in this box when you are done with it? Disposal? No way, lead is worth a dollar a pound."

Go to your local thrift shop. Ask for the donations they are throwing away to use as rags.
You can't shoot thru it. It never becomes no longer effective. The more you use it, the thicker the wad of pellets.
A packed wad of rags 6" to 8" thick is enough. The more you shoot, the more effective it becomes.
Dispose of it before it becomes too heavy to lift. Sell the lead to bullet casters.

BTW Use rags; paper just shreds and falls away. (And you're not really still wearing those bell-bottom polyester disco pants are you?)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Rover wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:35 pm Since you ask:
"I do not now where to get rags. I am still wearing shirts from 1986.
How many pounds of lead do you have in this box when you are done with it? Disposal? No way, lead is worth a dollar a pound."

Go to your local thrift shop. Ask for the donations they are throwing away to use as rags.
You can't shoot thru it. It never becomes no longer effective. The more you use it, the thicker the wad of pellets.
A packed wad of rags 6" to 8" thick is enough. The more you shoot, the more effective it becomes.
Dispose of it before it becomes too heavy to lift. Sell the lead to bullet casters.

BTW Use rags; paper just shreds and falls away. (And you're not really still wearing those bell-bottom polyester disco pants are you?)
Thanks for the tip. Also, thanks for the info on the S&W return spring in a Toz.

Sell it to bullet casters? Never, I am one of those!
rapha

Post by rapha »

BOX O' RAGS

1) Free
2) No lead dust
3) No noise
4) No cleanup
5) Improves with use
7) Did I mention FREE
It’s the better option as far as silence goes. However I love the fact that the Gehmann is designed specifically for the ISSF targets and you just drop a new one in quick. No taping required. I have both the 10m AP and the 10m AR. The AR model is so compact, it takes no room on my shelves. On my AP holder I use carpet squares inside of it to prevent noise and dusting of the pellets. In the central part of it, lined up with the black circle of the target, I have put a slice of duct seal to further absorb the energy. So the pellet hit the (Krüger) paper then the seal then the carpet then the metal plate. Damn near silent.
I gotta say I’m still unsatisfied with all the commercial target holders I’ve seen.
I feel a better design would make use of the depth dimension and not try to make the holder shallow. At various ranges for firearms, I’ve seen suspended long thin strips of rubber, weighted at the bottom. They are amazing at slowing down bullets and not take any damage. They should use a similar solution for a pellet holder. It would have to be deeper but it would be extremely silent and would produce not dust to speak of.
rapha

Post by rapha »

DWood wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:47 pm Ok, here is what I did.

I took about a quarter of a pound of duct seal and added it in different places in the trap to deaden the noise. I added a large chunk at the bottom of the plate so the plate would angle downward. This didn’t really work out to direct the pellets down, but it did reduced the noise significantly. I then added smaller pieces of duct seal to different areas of the trap to further reduce the noise. It works, but it’s still far from silent.

Next I used epoxy to attach an acra Swiss plate to the bottom of the trap. Now I can use my tripod as a lightweight target stand that is very portable. Just what I wanted.
This tripod idea is brilliant. I will steal it for my holders. Not gonna use my Arca Swiss head though, to precious!
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

I like my Crosman 853 - pretty quiet, cheap enough to get new when screens will wear off, can fold it when not in use
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Hello-

This is what we ordered from Neal Stepp in 2015-

https://www.gehmann.com/english/product ... tegorie=18

We ordered two, for our basement range. They are bullet proof. However, our cats love to pull on the strings and do put them out of service, because of their activity.

We did buy the lighting, also.

I would buy these again!

Best regards,
m1963