Pellet performance vs cost

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SPPcoach

Re: Pellet performance vs cost

Post by SPPcoach »

Rover wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:21 am What? You didn't follow my instructions to the letter?
Oh my gosh that worked.
I have a sleeve of RWS Basic pellets in 500 count tins on the way thanks to Neal Stepp!
Who would have guessed that Rover was right?
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Gwhite wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:12 pm I use the plastic 100 round shaker boxes for matches. That allows me to scan the whole box worth of skirts very quickly. Every once in a while, I will see a pellet that is suspect, and pitch it. Even with RWS Basic, it's a once every couple tins event.
That seems like a perfectly reasonable approach.
I am not opposed to the process.
I am opposed to the quality of that product. ;-)
I am amazed that in a sport with $1,800-$2,400 equipment, that shaker box has a place in our sport. I have had two of those boxes.
The first one, the lid would not stay snapped shut. I would show up at practice or a match after prepping the night before and it would have sprung open dumping my pellets out. That is not a product worth keeping when it causes agravation and distraction.
The second one, the yellow tray fit so poorly in the blue box that it would spontaneously pop up and throw pellets out like popcorn going off. Again, with a smile on my face, it went straight into the trash can. :-)
Considering how much the consumer market will justify the price of pants, jackets, glasses . . . . there is not a quality shaker box available. Ugh.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

German made older shaker boxes are much better than current ones of the same design, made who knows where.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have a couple that are at least 20 years old. Never had a problem with them.

Sounds like they've farmed out the manufacturing to someplace with poor quality control (i.e. China).
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Firstly, I have a H & N shaker box that I've had for probably around 13 years now and still fine although I'd agree that if someone made a better one I'd probably have it as I'm a bit of a tackle tart.
As for the pellets. I started on R10s in my Steyr LP50 and kept them when I bought a LP400. At some point I did a test with 5 different types and the pistol clamped for a 10m group. The R10 and the second cheapest of the 5 put single holes in the test cards. The others were ragged. I've bought sleeve after sleeve of the cheap ones since. I did tell myself once I could shoot over 550 I'd start on R10s again but I do shoot over that now and haven't bought R10s yet.
The pellets I use are very clean and leave no swarf or bits in the tin so all in all there's no down side.

I should do the test again as I've been shooting the Evo 10 e for nearly 5 years with these pellets and never bothered. The test group was with the Walther!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Pellet boxes are useless pains in the ass. I had a couple and gave one to Siordian, but I haven't seen him use it. I guess the other is laying around somewhere.

The method I use is the lid from H&N pellets that comes with a little foam pad. I count out the pellets needed for a particular target and shoot until they're gone, then change targets. I recycle the lid and pad for my RWS Basics. You can do this without the foam, but it's SO much easier my way.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:10 am Pellet boxes are useless pains in the ass. I had a couple and gave one to Siordian, but I haven't seen him use it. I guess the other is laying around somewhere.

The method I use is the lid from H&N pellets that comes with a little foam pad. I count out the pellets needed for a particular target and shoot until they're gone, then change targets. I recycle the lid and pad for my RWS Basics. You can do this without the foam, but it's SO much easier my way.
Oh, boy, a chance to improve on something Rog does!
Being an incurable re-user / recycler, I transport my pellets in an Altoids tin. The hinged lid can't get misplaced, and the straight edges make it easier for me to lay out the pellets for one target.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I have three shaker boxes purchased over the last 20 years. I have never had an issue except one. The yellow plate was held too high and the pellets dropped all the way through the holes. 3 minutes with a pocket knife, and it was good to go too.