LP10 less recoil absorber travel, higher velocity?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

LP10 less recoil absorber travel, higher velocity?

Post by seamaster »

My LP10 recoil absorber was too loose, it was traveling all the way back to the stopper screw. Hitting that screw. I am not sure if that affect my shooting. But I am blaming my recent LP10 grouping on it.

Followed the Steyr video, adjusted the coil spring screw. Now the absorber travel just 1/3 distance. Now, no matter how I adjusted that screw, the absorber travel stays at 1/3 travel. I am OK with that. It gives me a slight recoil feeling.

The pellet is now hitting, to my feel, harder on the target. My chronograph is out of commission, so I can't prove the velocity is higher. But it certainly feels like it is hitting the target harder.

Or may be I am just feeling a bit of recoil, and misinterpreted that as a harder pellet hit?

So does velocity increase with less absorber travel?

If it does, can I adjust velocity screw to "save" more gas with this less absorber travel?
brent375hh

Re: LP10 less recoil absorber travel, higher velocity?

Post by brent375hh »

So you put less tension on the weight spring and it only moves 1/3, then you added tension, and it still moves a 1/3? That seems odd.

You can easily adjust the velocity down. I would wait until you have chrono access though.

I will assume that you have watched the Steyr YouTube videos on both adjustments?
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

yes, that absorber spring screw just keep rotating in the spring, neither moving in or out. So I am stuck at 1/3 absorbor mass travel.

So theoretically, if air pressure is not used to move that absorber back, it must be moving forward and out. So pellet velocity higher? I wish my Combro chrono is fixed to check it out.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

You could try putting a cut off section of nail or screw into the hole to give the spring more preload or purchase a new spring and screw to get it back to where it should be.

Air does not push the weight back. The spring with the adjustment screw pushes the weight back.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

so that feeling pellet is hitting harder is just a figment of my imagination?
rmca

Post by rmca »

Air doesn't move the absorver. It moves the catch (little back part on top of the bolt).
Then the spring that you adjust moves the absorver weigth, shooting it back.
You can see it in the video, when they say to test it by pressing that little lever on top.

So, no you wouldn't save any air.

Hope this helps