Shipping PCP Air Pistols

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

dulcmr-man

Shipping PCP Air Pistols

Post by dulcmr-man »

I'm hoping someone can advise me on shipping a PCP pistol.

Which carrier (US post office, UPS, FedEx) is the best, i.e., best price and least hassle?

What kind of container is best? I have the factory fitted case, but believe it should be packed in some kind of box with additional padding.

Any thought are much appreciated.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
william

Re: Shipping PCP Air Pistols

Post by william »

I'll leave others to argue carriers, boxes, etc. Just make sure the pistol AND cylinders are discharged.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Whatever over box you decide on,. Please put the gun case inside a plastic bag before you box it....... Protect it from the elements and/or leakage from other packages,.....
mister G

Post by mister G »

My Walther PCP pistol was shipped USPS Priority Mail from Virginia for $9.85 and arrived in three days.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

For shipping a high dollar item, I like to use USPS Registered Mail.

You can use a USPS supplied Flat Rate Box.

You will have to put "Security Tape" on all the exposed edges. (Brown paper tape with water moistened adhesive.) Probably could mooch some tape from the USPS person.

Shipping USPS Flat Rate is a gamble. What if your air pistol gets a 70 pound box of Lead dropped on it? Packages are literally dumped on a conveyor belt for sorting.

Either way, insure for full value of the sale.

My second preference is the FEDEX One Rate Express Box. They come in several sizes. Stop by a FEDEX kiosk to get what you need. Pricing is not bad for three day air service.

AGAIN, insure for actual value of the package.

Cheers,

Dave
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Lots of good advice and I appreciate all of it. Thank you.

I'm also researching the web for an "over box" in which to insert the manufacturer's case. Many options on the web but one usually has to buy at least 25 boxes, way more than I need.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I asked my question because I am helping a good friend's widow dispose of some really nice PCP air pistols, a couple of rifles, and some accessories. Keep your eyes open and you will see some fine items posted in the buy, sell, trade section including five quality pistols, a Walther break action rifle, and a Daystate PCP rifle.

Still looking for advice regarding over boxes.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
6string

Post by 6string »

Dennis,
First, I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Since you are obviously making the effort to do things right, I'd also advise taking a few pictures. Might be good to document the condition of each item, and the packing job.
Should you need to file an insurance claim, the carrier will do their darnedest to try and get out of paying. By claiming you didn't pack things correctly, they'll say any loss or damage is your fault.
They try this all the time with musical instruments.

I am anxious to see what you'll have for sale.

Jim
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

6string wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:04 am Dennis,
First, I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Since you are obviously making the effort to do things right, I'd also advise taking a few pictures. Might be good to document the condition of each item, and the packing job.
Should you need to file an insurance claim, the carrier will do their darnedest to try and get out of paying. By claiming you didn't pack things correctly, they'll say any loss or damage is your fault.
They try this all the time with musical instruments.

I am anxious to see what you'll have for sale.

Jim
Thank you for the condolences, Jim. I had planned to post pictures when I place the items for sale, but had not thought about photographing my packing job. Good idea.

This week is busy for me as I am shooting a match in Phoenix and must prepare for it, so I will take pictures and post the items starting some time next week.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
SuperIIFT

Post by SuperIIFT »

Just buy a sturdy cardboard box the right size
Put a address card inside the pistol case
Ship it insured USPS
Works for me
Dennis
joel

Post by joel »

mister G wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:55 pm My Walther PCP pistol was shipped USPS Priority Mail from Virginia for $9.85 and arrived in three days.
How is that possible? A large flat rate box is $18 or more, I don't remember. Unless you shipped it 20 years ago, USPS prices have gotten very expensive. Also, insurance is another add-on expense.

Joel
Don

Post by Don »

Shipment by USPS has gotten more complicated. USPS reissued Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail, on 20 July 2020. The portion related to firearms was clearly written by someone who had little clue about firearms and it makes one's head hurt to read it. A North-South Skirmish Association member reported today that USPS lost an insured package containing a Model 1860 Colt revolver, which under the 1968 Gun Control Act is not considered a firearm. USPS refused to pay for the loss because under their new version of PUB52 it is a firearm, and handguns may only be shipped between licensees. Based upon the terribly confused language of PUB52 is would appear that they consider an air pistol a firearm for their purposes as well.

Let the shipper beware.

Don
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

That's good to know, Don. Thank you for the update. It looks like I may have to choose a different carrier.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

To all who offered advice - Thank you!

I have sold all five pistols with three being in-person sales. One was local and two were sold at the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club Mid-Winter Championship. I also sold two of them to a person in California so those are the only two I needed to ship. I found a surplus box in our garage into which both pistols in their factory cases fit just fine. A bit of packing and away they went.

What I like best about this site is that there don't seem to be too many questions about ANY shooting related subject that don't garner some really thoughtful answers.

Good on all of you!

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
divingin

Post by divingin »

Don wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:15 pm Based upon the terribly confused language of PUB52 is would appear that they consider an air pistol a firearm for their purposes as well.
From that publication:

431.6 Air Guns
Air gun means a gun that fires a projectile by means of compressed air or other gas (including paintball and pellet guns).

432.1 General
Mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, all of the provisions of postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, and all other all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms. The following also applies:
The Postal Service may require the mailer to open parcels containing firearms or air guns or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.

432.2 Handguns
Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:
Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1 and are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable, but must include Adult Signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

And for air rifles:
Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1a are mailable. A shipment containing an air gun with a muzzle velocity of 400 or more feet per second (fps) must include an adult signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must additionally comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I have a Crosman Skanaker on its way here going Canada Post and so far its been super smooth