Rink grip sizes

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brimfire

Rink grip sizes

Post by Brimfire »

First off, Hi, how y'all doing? New member here in Scotland with a question I can't get a definitive answer to on UK based Forums.

I'm about to click "Buy" on a set of Rink Grips for my IZH-46M. I'm no great shakes at working with wood so carving the standard grips is out and, as they're not cheap things, it makes sense to gather as much tips and shared experiences before selecting these particular small and expensive chunks of tree.

I've consulted Rink's data charts and my hand comes in at 97mm - between an L and XL. Now, the thing is, I've heard and read so much about Rink grips feeling small, tight and undersized despite being measured and ordered as accurately as possible - has the TargetTalk hive mind any experience of this one way or the other? I'm leaning towards getting the XL size but would those in the know recommend going further and ordering the XXL instead?

Thanks in advance,
Brimfire.
Azmodan

Re: Rink grip sizes

Post by Azmodan »

send a sketch to Rink: https://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php? ... 415&p3=417

i did, and he replied the next day with suggestions for all parameters. i ordered a TOZ35 grip using his suggested parameters, and it fits very well
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Here's info on the various grip sizes manufacturers produce:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54205&p=260599#p260599
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I contacted Rink and talked to them before ordering my Rink Grips for my TOZ. After sending them photos and sketches, they told me I need Small along with a few other parameters they recommended. They came and fit me fine. I then order grips in the same size for my Model 41 S&W and they are too small. (I have them for sale if anyone is interested.

My new Walther FP-500 came with Rink Grips. When I ordered it I ordered Mediums and they fit me fine.

I just got a set of Dick Horton grips yesterday and they fit me fine. He made them from xerox copies of my hands and pictures of my hand with dimensions.

My Morini CM84E has medium grips and they fit me fine.

I plan on spending a few months in central Europe after my second Vaccine shot and when Europe opens up and will not order any more Rink Grips until I can get there for a custom fitting.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
AJV

Post by AJV »

I have four rink grips (Toz 35M, Pardini K12, SP, HP). The fifth is coming... They all fit the same, without significative differences. So I have no questions about their measures.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

If both Rink and Dick Horton grips fit well, which is more a "piece of art" to the eyes?
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I think that depends on how you option them out.
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I got Rinks on my Toz. My hand is 93mm and the large fits me exactly in the middle of the adjustment. Had they been to big, I was going to glue felt on the palm shelf. Had the been too small, I was going to sand and stipple. Luckily they fit perfect.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

FOR SALE: new Rink grip for a Ruger Mark III Target model.
Size medium, palm swell, 7 degree offset, palm rest
Pictures on request by phone or email. Original cost was about $360 US
Price $250 shipping included within continental US. No returns.
pm if interested
Here is the Rink web page for reference:
https://www.formgriffe.de/en/shpSR.php? ... 400&p2=255
John Davis
Cincinnati Ohio
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Brimfire

Post by Brimfire »

Thank you very much for your replies and experiences.

I've posed this question on a few forums (including a quite well known target forum in the UK) and this is by far the best response. Seems a lot more people Stateside are willing to help fellow enthusiasts out and share information. Combined with the fact that there's a lot of Izzy 46 fans here too means I'll be sticking around and soaking up some of the knowledge and experience on display.

And, of course, contributing when and where possible.

Speaking of which, one thing I've learned from this (and stop me if you know this already) is the best way to measure the width across your knuckles is to use a set of vernier calipers rather than drawing an outline round your hand on a sheet of paper and then taking measurements from that. Obvious when you think about it but the two methods will give you different figures.

Anyway, next step for me is contacting Rink.

Cheers,
Brimfire.
Brimfire

Post by Brimfire »

Thank you very much for your replies and experiences.

I've posed this question on a few forums (including a quite well known target forum in the UK) and this is by far the best response. Seems a lot more people Stateside are willing to help fellow enthusiasts out and share information. Combined with the fact that there's a lot of Izzy 46 fans here too means I'll be sticking around and soaking up some of the knowledge and experience on display.

And, of course, contributing when and where possible.

Speaking of which, one thing I've learned from this (and stop me if you know this already) is the best way to measure the width across your knuckles is to use a set of vernier calipers rather than drawing an outline round your hand on a sheet of paper and then taking measurements from that. Obvious when you think about it but the two methods will give you different figures.

Anyway, next step for me is contacting Rink.

Cheers,
Brimfire.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Brimfire wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:33 pm Speaking of which, one thing I've learned from this (and stop me if you know this already) is the best way to measure the width across your knuckles is to use a set of vernier calipers rather than drawing an outline round your hand on a sheet of paper and then taking measurements from that. Obvious when you think about it but the two methods will give you different figures.
It's true you'll get a different number, but Mr. Rink may already expect that difference. Best to contact him.
Two Shanks

Post by Two Shanks »

I have two sets of Rink grips. I sent him an outline of my hand. They both fit fine. He recommended the parameters. He knows what he is doing.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I wonder if RINK has small Mens, Small Women's and Small Children's as my Small Rink Grips for the Model 41 certainly look super small next to my Rink Small Grips for my TOZ. I will have to post a picture of them next to each other.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I ordered a pair of grips from Thomas Rink, one for my FWB P44 and one for my IZH35. I ordered Medium based on the dimensions on his website. The grips arrived and they were both too small so I contacted him and he said send them back and I'll send you Large ones, which he did. Just cost me the return shipping, no extra charge. Both grips now good width-wise but I've now found that I must have longish fingers as even with the L size, the second falange on my 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers are not at right angles to the barrel so the next grips I ordered, for a TriAce and again for the P44, I ordered the thicker grip (5mm extra depth axially). These now fit fine. I now just have to sell my P44 standard L grip.

I guess it is probably always better to err on the large size when ordering grips as you can always Dremel the excess wood off.

Bob
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Its definitely a good idea to err on the larger side. I always order mine unstippled and unoiled.
Brimfire

Post by Brimfire »

Thanks folks.

I've ordered an XL size - let you know how things work out when I get them.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

I ordered 2 Rink grips for my 2 IZH-46M pistols. I followed Rink's instructions to measure for size and selecting options. I am very happy with quality of the grips and how they fit.
Brimfire

Post by Brimfire »

The Postman's been!

Just received my XL Walnut grip and it's a beauty! It bolted straight on with no issues and is such a leap forward from the standard grip. My first impressions are that it feels comfortable and natural and, although I haven't started playing with it yet, the palm shelf adjustment seems to be in the right range.

I'd liked to have posted a photo for everyone who helped me on the size issue to see but I haven't worked out how that's done yet. Rest assured that it looks (and smells) good.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

My Rink grips for my LP10 arrived today. I was very anxious that they would not be the same size as the ones I received for my Toz. They are exactly the same fit, with the exception of being ISSF AP compliant in size.

I couldn't be happier. It's like shooting a whole different, and better gun.
Attachments
IMG_20210331_105802198.jpg