Rear sight for FWB 700

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

F/V Icy Swan

Rear sight for FWB 700

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

I picked up a FWB 700 and am pleased with the rifle. I don't care for the OEM rear sight and would like to replace it. Any recommendations for another rear sight like some model of Anschutz or Walther or Centra? I have never seen a Centra Spy Short, but it looks compact and stout.

Also, will other rear sights be compatible with the FWB dovetail, i.e., will they fit without adapters or modification?

Thanks.

Mike
lyoke2

Re: Rear sight for FWB 700

Post by lyoke2 »

Centra Spy is pretty much the gold standard. I have them on my air rifle and pretty much all of my students do as well. They are quite compact.

Mark Trew on this forum should have them and is a great person to deal with.
Th.

Post by Th. »

I have this one on my FWB and it works well.
https://shop.gehmann.com/en/rearsight-u ... ight?c=112
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

May I ask what it is that you don't like about the original rear sight? I have the same rifle, Is it the looks or an adjust-ability problem or something else? Just curious!! Thanks in advance J.L.
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

Folks, thanks for the responses. I have contacted Mark Trew via PM.

My concern with the OEM sight is not huge. I just find that it doesn't seem "solid" when I make adjustments and it seems fairly big. I am not shooting outdoors but I would like to able to see more downrange around the sight. Both are subjective and both no doubt are due to my own shortcomings. I would like to try another sight, hopefully one that would be able to be used for small bore, but that is not a deal breaker.

I already am using a Gehman adjustable aperture with some filters and limited diopter adjustment. It adds some length to the sight and there are limits to how far forward I can secure the sight before it interferes with the full cocking arc of the cocking lever.

Mike
pfiori

Post by pfiori »

One thing to keep in mind is the Feinwerkbau sight dovetail is wider than those on Anschutz so most sights, riser blocks, etc. for Anschutz will not fit.
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

pfiori, that is exactly what I need to know. It seems odd that it wouldn't be a standard 11mm dovetail, but I will try to measure it tomorrow. No sense is buying a sight that won't fit.

Mike
JC Hayes

Post by JC Hayes »

I used an Anschutz rear sight on my FWB. Other shooters in our club have done the same. Walther will not fit FWB.
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

I have been in touch with Mark Trew. He has been patient and thorough about what would best for an older shooter. I have ordered a Centra Spy Long and other equipment. I am looking forward to using his equipment and will report back at some point in the future.

Thanks to all, particularly Mark Trew, for all your assistance.

Mike
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Nothing wrong with buying the latest wizbang thing that will guarantee you a win but I'd like to put in a plug for the FWB rear sight. These are simple and very reliable. Don't try to put it on an Anschutz dovetail. I have a few broken ones that people tried to put on an Anschutz, it cracks the frame of the FWB sight. They are very cleverly made and spring loaded so that they are inherently free of backlash.

I have an Anschutz 7020 on my 700. I always meant to fix one of the fwb sights but have not gotten to it.