Rink laminated grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Rink laminated grip

Post by seamaster »

Rink laminated grip is 10-20% heavier than walnut grip.

For those with both types, do you prefer one over the other?

Laminated is 10-20% heavier, do you feel laminated grip makes your pistol more “balanced”?
stephen_maly

Re: Rink laminated grip

Post by stephen_maly »

Ordinary wood shrinks (and often bends) as it ages and dries out. Laminated wood is stronger and less prone to bending and shrinking (which is why it exists in the first place). If your grip has some very thin sections then the laminated wood is preferable. The extra weight of the grip would probably not ever be noticed.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I suspect that the difference in weight is not really noticeable. I have noticed, though, that many newbies (?) want to buy non-custom Rink grips for a better fit (trying to buy points) instead of altering factory grips. It seems to me that the Rinks are no "better" and will offer no improvement (without alteration). I suspect that even custom Rink grips will be a poor fit, since the customer doesn't know what they are doing to ensure a good fit.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Once travel opens up and I have gotten both shots of the vaccine, I will be spending a few months in Central Europe. I would love to go to RINK and actually be fitted and see how they come out. I now have three sets of RINK grips and the standard sizes seem to vary by firearm type. Small for the TOZ-35M Fit fine. Small for a model 41 was too small and Medium for my FP500 was perfect.
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
sparky

Post by sparky »

I have laminated and regular Rink grips. I can't tell the difference in weight. I got the laminated ones because they look nice.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

My Walther FP500 came with laminated grips and I agree, to me, they look nice.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Did you add or file away a little on those Rink grips? Laminated wood pattern hides those addition or filing better than the natural wood?
I am getting the rink grip primarily for cosmetics. My old grips have been added and filed gazillion times, they are very functional but unsightly.
I will get the rink grip with 7 degree angle/no palm prominence/extend palm shelf 1cm to my wrist line/ extend side palm to match palm shelf extension. Those addition will match my old grips. But I am sure I will still have the urge, a big urge or ADHD impulse, to file and add to a seemly perfect Rink grip.

So does a laminated grip pattern hide addition/subtraction better?
sparky

Post by sparky »

I'm not opposed to it, but so far, I haven't felt the need to file or add to it. I gotta admit, I'd feel better filing off than adding putty.