Weaver T24

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jhodge

Weaver T24

Post by jhodge »

Hey guys,

Looking for a scope for my KK500. Would a Weaver T-24 be a good choice?

Thanks,
Jay
acorneau

Re: Weaver T24

Post by acorneau »

Totally depends on what you want to do with it.

I'm a silhouette shooter, not a 3-P guy, and use ~24X scopes on all four of my silhouette rifles, but the retical selection is very important (crosshair with 1/2" dot) as is having 1/4 MOA clicks. One of the newest versions with the 1/8 clicks and fine crosshair with 1/8" dot would not be good for my needs, but would be a very good choice for a benchrest shooter.

So, what kind of shooting do you want to do with it?
------
Allen Corneau
jhodge

Post by jhodge »

I shoot sling prone. Finally started to get some decent scores with the irons, but like scopes too.

Jay
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

I purchased a new Weaver T24 model 849976 with the fine cross hairs, 1/8" Dot and 1/8th minute clicks from Natchez shooters supply early in 2020. I am a smallbore prone shooter, and 62 years old. Prior to that, I had been shooting with my 2" Unertl barrel mounted scope. I wanted to reduce the weight, remove the scope from the barrel, so as not to have two different tuner settings.

Upon opening the box and looking through the scope I realized 1/8 minute dot is too small for me and the wires of the cross hair were too thin. After some research I determined John Unertl used .0007 wire size for the vast majority of his scopes. Ernie Vande Zande said the 5/16" dot was the perfect size for smallbore shooting.

I sent the scope to cheryl@targetshooteroptics.com with my request and check in January and got it back at the start of April. Of course, Covid hit us during that time and where Cheryl normally works in the shop all day, she was also tending to her children for who school was closed.

The light gathering for the T24 is not quite up to the standards of the Unertl, but it wasn't the reason for any dropped shots at 100 yards last year.

I hope this is helpful.

Mike Carter
Mike Carter
President
American Smallbore Shooting Association
http://www.americansmallbore.com
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

It's personal preference. If you have the opportunity, try a couple different magnifications and reticles.

Personally I think 24-25x with a fine, but very visible reticle and dot is the best (for prone). I shoot a 25x Leupold FX3 with a 1/2 moa dot and much prefer it to 20x, 32x, and 36x scopes I've used in the past. 24-25x seems like the perfect balance of being able to spot your holes, minimal mirage, and a large enough field-of-view to see wind flags setup inline with your target.

Don't overlook the scope's parallax adjustment. While side focus scopes are the rage, an objective focus is better for known distance shooting. The increased perimeter makes it easier to find the perfect parallax settings then return to them as you change yard lines. I have my parallax settings marked and labeled in metallic ink for quick verification or adjustment.
jhodge

Post by jhodge »

I hear the Anschutz 6811 rail fits the Walther. Is this rail 11mm to 11mm, with the only function being to allow mounting of the scope further forward for eye relief? I ask because finding nice rings that are 11mm seems to be a challenge. Most 11 mm rings (1” tube) seem to be pretty cheesy, low quality stuff. Where as if the rail converted 11 mm to Weaver or Pic, there are many more options as far as rings go.

Jay
acorneau

Post by acorneau »

I highly recommend the D3 Precision rings by Pete Deal (a silhouette and 3P shooter). 11mm or 3/8" dovetail, 1" or 30mm diameter, five different heights, only $55 (but worth much more).

He sells them through his eBay store here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings-11 ... 4268435836
------
Allen Corneau
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

I recommend Burris Signature rings on an Anschutz rail. The inserts allow centering the scope for elevation and windage.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15484 ... ption-link
Attachments
20210116_122624.jpg
jhodge

Post by jhodge »

Very helpful, thanks!
left360

Post by left360 »

Leupold rings for 11mm base are decent quality as well.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

The extra advantage of the Burris Signature Zee Rings is that the inserts eliminate scope ring marks on the scope.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
jhodge

Post by jhodge »

Well I went and bought a Weaver T-24 off EBay. Matte aluminum even. My wife will be proud that I co-ordinated my rifle and scope!

I’m leaning towards the Burris rings to mate up with the rail. For some reason I like the idea of the inserts.

Jay
Scott J

Post by Scott J »

You might also look at these>>>[url][https://www.morraccuracy.com/store/c2/R ... s.html/url]

They come in offset rings and straight up style.

Scott
jhodge

Post by jhodge »

Well guys,

After getting the T-24 mounted up and sighted in, I believe that the super fine reticle and 1/16th dot are just too fine for my use. I've contacted Cheryl at Optical Services, and Weaver and both told me they don't work on the XR series of Weaver scopes. Any other ideas out there for someone to switch out this reticle?

Thanks,
Jay
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

Good thing your iron sights abilities have improved so much!

You can watch the usual places (here, accurateshooter, others) for a used Leupold (FX3 or EFR or 24x fixed) or spring for a Nightforce.
jhodge

Post by jhodge »

Ha, I don't know about improved "so much" but certainly improved "somewhat"! Thanks, in part, to your help. It's appreciated.

Jay