ISSF Boot Rules

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rpm

ISSF Boot Rules

Post by rpm »

I have a pair of the older boots with square front and back soles. I was told that I could just round the soles and they would comply with the new rules. Has anyone done this or is it just a waste of time? Are the new boots better than the old ones? Should I just buy new ones?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
dakota308

Re: ISSF Boot Rules

Post by dakota308 »

Yes, had to change boots to make them legal. According to the rules (ISSF 7.5.3.6) the sole has follow the contour of the rest of the boot and not extend more than 5 mm beyond that contour. I used a band saw, but a utility knife will also work, just slower. I believe this was a year 2013 rule change, with USA Shooting not adopting right away.
rpm

Post by rpm »

WOW, I am really behind the times. I will start working on them today. Thank you
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Don't forget the flexibility and construction rules in section 7.5.3
rpm

Post by rpm »

Not sure I understand. I cut the toe and heel sections today to follow the shoe. The shoes are just as stiff. Are the new shoes more flexible? I read the rule that the shooter needs to have a normal gate.

Your thoughts
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I believe that the sole dimension rule came in 01/01/2013. At the same time there was a requirement that the forward part of the sole should be of the same material.

The shoe flexibility testing with a measuring device came in 13th May 2011. Shortly after that many rifle shooters had to drill holes through their soles to increase the flexibility.
rpm

Post by rpm »

Thank you
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

If they are older shoes, they may have been worn in enough to give you legal flexibility. If you are not attending a big USA shooting event then I would not worry about the flexibility rules since there will be no testing equipment. The rules on dimension of the contour of the sole are supposed to be universally enforced since no formal testing equipment is necessary.
rpm

Post by rpm »

My boots are older. After cutting them I now walk with a normal gate, heel to toe. I think you are right they would pass the test. I no longer fire in matches (76) but I like knowing that I am meeting all the rules.

Thank you