Beginner questions about 10m airguns

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Fastskiguy

Re: Beginner questions about 10m airguns

Post by Fastskiguy »

Pat McCoy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:28 pm
So....how much do the shooting suits help when offhand?
The shooting jacket helps (not as much as the pants), but neither is a replacement for a good stable position. The clothing helps in maintaining the position over a long series of shots. Even at the highest level, training without the clothing is done to be sure the position is still correct.
Wow the pants are more helpful than the jacket, that is amazing. Since I'm still in training....I'll hold off fancy clothes for now ;) Thanks!!

Joe
Fastskiguy

Post by Fastskiguy »

OK back to more questions!

What's a good score for off hand rifle? Like with the 12 target racetrack targets, what are "good shooters" getting in 10 shots? Not like world champion gold medal kinda stuff, just a real solid score in a local or state level competition. What's the type of score people are getting who are the heavy hitters at local competition and looking for the podium at the state level (if that makes any sense)?

Joe
Fastskiguy

Post by Fastskiguy »

Hey what is up with the ear plugs? Are these guns loud enough to damage hearing or is it more for concentration?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Fastskiguy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:13 pm Hey what is up with the ear plugs? Are these guns loud enough to damage hearing or is it more for concentration?
1. Depends on the range as to whether it is "too loud"
2. I teach my shooters to use them to allow better concentration
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

Another match rifle option that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Steyr LG1P. I bought one from this forum in the Fall for a really great price and I'm loving it. It was much less expensive than the Anschutz and FWB offerings from the same generation. About the same price as an FWB 601 in fact. So if you're looking for a good PCP at pump gun prices, that may be the option for you.
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Fastskiguy, I'm in about the somewhat same situation that you are looking for information on guns and equipment but I have been into other forms of airgun shooting foe several years now. I got into ten meter shooting in my basement pretty heavy early last year when the pandemic put a stop to many other forms of shooting. I have had a FWB 300s for a few years and have always played with it on my basement range but never was very serious about it. In March I shot it a lot and decided that I wanted a PCP ten meter rifle as that was what I was used to and had the equipment to use one already. The FWB 300s is fairly heavy for an old guy like me so I thought that I would go with the Crosman Challenger as I read it was one of the better and most popular"sporter class" rifles so I picked one up used for a great price. After receiving the rifle and being used to higher end guns I made several mods to the rifle and worked the trigger to be as good as my FWB . I then shot the rifle for the next six months and was very happy with it as I "WAS" able to shoot it better than my 300s because of the weight. I still always had it in the back of my mind that I would like to have a high end modern ten meter rifle but after much research that they are all quite a bit heavier than the Challenger. In reality at my age I didn't think it would help my scores a bit but I went ahead and tried to find a used rifle on this forum from one of the big three, FWB , Walther, Anschutz or even a Styer but the good deals seem to sell almost immediately and I almost gave up and bought a new one. I had put out word to my airgun friends that I was in the market for one and only a few days before I was going to place an order I received a phone call that a member of a neighboring airgun club had passed and the family was going to liquidate his collection in the near future so to make an already long story shorter I ended up purchasing two rifles and a pistol for less than I was going to pay for the new one!! After all that being said as much as I love the high end rifles I can still hold and shoot the lighter Challenger better as they "ALL" will shoot every pellet into the same hole at ten meters. As far as your question about the shooting clothes I only have the coat and it WILL allow you to hold a good bit steadier but to me it is so hot and uncomfortable to wear that I rarely use it. If I was going to compete I would certainly use all of the shooting clothes as you are at to much of a disadvantage not to use it. I'm far from a good shot but the coat will up my score for thirty shots by about ten points on average. I guess the point I am trying to make is try to shoot as many rifles and try as many accessorizes as you have access to if that is possible and then make up your mind as to what you want. Every airgunner I know is more than happy to let newcomers shoot their rifles. Hope this helps you out a bit in you shooting venture, J.L. Sorry for the long post!!
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

@whitefox545
I suggest you look at the Junior rifles by any of the tier 1 companies.
They are smaller and lighter than the "full size" rifles.
I have a back injury, and the lighter junior rifle is much easier for me to handle than a full size rifle.
My only beef is the junior stock is ambi, which for my thumb is not as comfortable as a true right hand grip.
If you have a long LoP, the LoP of a Junior rifle is shorter than a full size rifle. So you may need extenders for the butt plate.

But you have to check the specs of each rifle, some of the full size rifles are lighter than others.
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Gary, Thanks for your reply ! I guess my reply was kinda long winded for the point I wanted to relay to the OP, Sorry for that! I'm fine with the rifles I have at the present time as I have four very nice rifles to choose from. I have been shooting the Walther lg300xt for the last few months with pretty good results at least for me. I just wanted to relay that the rifle you may want or like the looks of may not be your best option and a cheaper lesser quality one may actually suit you better than the top of the line offerings even if you have the money to buy the best one out there!! I love the looks of my FWB 700 but can only shoot it as well as the others with a shooting coat to help me with the holding weight. I just shoot ten meters to try and better my off hand shooting for Field Target shooting (and something fun to do in the winter) as that is what separates the very top of the heap from the also ran guys. and I really don't like wearing the coat and have no real place to shoot actual ten meter matches with locally anyways. I mainly just shoot in my basement range . J.L.
spektr

Post by spektr »

whitefox545 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:37 pm love the looks of my FWB 700 but can only shoot it as well as the others with a shooting coat to help me with the holding weight. J.L.
Everybody here knows I love my 800x....... But its really a bit nose heavy, and was a bitch to hold in position.
Then I looked around and saw most people have added stick on weights to the buttstock. I hung some weight on the gun
and it was amazing. The gun felt lighter, It took less effort to shoot..... You might take a look at that

https://morgantownmag.com/wp-content/up ... 2_8980.jpg
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

spektr, What I meant to type was with out the shooting coat it is much harder to hold steady! Thanks for the Idea!! I will certainly give it a try!! J.L.