SIUS Electronic Target

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rpm

SIUS Electronic Target

Post by rpm »

I am looking into getting a SIUS HS10 for my home 10m range. I have had some issues with ricochets with my current setup. While I have solved my current situation I am concerned with placing a steel frame down range. I know for a fact that a pellet can ricochet off a plywood backer and come back over 10m.

I was told by the manufacturer that they have no ricochet issues and that the pellets will compress on striking the steel plate.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated
lyoke2

Re: SIUS Electronic Target

Post by lyoke2 »

What are the pellets hitting? Do you have the pellet trap backer that captures the pellets?
rpm

Post by rpm »

I have not purchased the SIUS system yet, when I do I will have the pellet catcher. When I first set up my range I had a plywood backer. If for reasons we will not reveal I sometimes will hit the backer. When this happens the pellet will ricochet off the plywood and sometimes come all the way back to me. (see picture) To correct this I added a soft pine overlay (painted black, second picture). This corrected the problem.

My concern is what will happen when I install the SIUS system with a steel frame. I assume I will on occasion hit the steel frame. My question is will the pettet ricochet back like it did when hitting the plywood? I am hoping that someone with more experience than I have or someone who has a SIUS system would know it this is an issue to be concerned about.

Thank you
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Have you access to any lead? If so it makes a perfect backer for air weapons, the pellets just compress and almost weld themselves to it. Melt some down and cast it into a slab about 1/2" thick and screw it to the plywood backer, you can use a plywood to make a mould as a one off as long as it isn't wet, water and molten lead aren't a good mix. It will take lots of impact noise away which is great in a home environment and you'll never get another ricochet, the worst that will happen is as the pellets build up one or two may start falling off, then just prise the build up off with a screwdriver or something and your ready for another few months
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

The Sius pellet trap is designed to collect the pellets. You will not have a richochet
Sius1.jpg
Sius1.jpg (30.34 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I get the impression that the OP was asking about the front face plate rather then the pellet catchers.

The 10m Sius targets at Bisley have been in use since 2002. The pellet marks, paint touch-ins and repainting are testament to the fact that not everybody hits the target face every time.

I have spent MANY hours as an official on the ranges and cannot remember a single bounce-back. There may very well have been some but I cannot remember any.
rpm

Post by rpm »

I apologize for not communicating clearly. David, you are correct I was concerned about the face plate.

Thank you all for your advise. Ron
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

The pellets will flatten when hitting the face frame and will not ricochet back at you. Sius also has a protective face part# ATE10D015 that will protect the face frame.
AlanMcD

Post by AlanMcD »

Do you know approximately how much this system would cost in the US, if purchased as a single unit for home use?
rpm

Post by rpm »

$2100 delivered
m1963

Post by m1963 »

We are long term SIUS HS 10 Hybridscore users. You will have no problem with ricochets. The pellet is directed to the cup, for disposal.

Best regards,
m1963
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

AlanMcD wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:30 pm Do you know approximately how much this system would cost in the US, if purchased as a single unit for home use?
I recently requested a quote from Sius US for a HS10, with the lifter, all the cable, software, targets and shipping.
Ready to shoot $3301.24 It was a budgetary quote. But you can reach out to Jeff Douglas at Sius USA and I'm sure they would quote a system.
(803) 699-1800