The future of shooting jackets/pants after the olympics ?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Jenni

The future of shooting jackets/pants after the olympics ?

Post by Jenni »

Hey guys ..

I’m curious to know what you guys think about expected new changes to rifle shooting rules after the olympics .. especially regarding shooting jackets and pants?
Do you recommend me ordering a new suit or waiting?

Regards,
Jenni
1845greyhounds

Re: The future of shooting jackets/pants after the olympics ?

Post by 1845greyhounds »

What future change are you referring to? Idk.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

If you are expecting significant changes, wait. No sense spending money on kit that is about to become obsolete. There are RF shooters who are still ticked about the .22LR switchover.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Are you referring to the nation specific color scheme recommendations that was proposed about a year or two ago? If so, those proposed changes were universally panned.
Jenni

Post by Jenni »

Thanks for replying.
1845greyhounds wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:00 pm What future change are you referring to? Idk.
I meant the rumors/suggestions about changing the colors/design of the pants and jackets and the possibility of excluding the suit completely.
Mike M. wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:26 pm If you are expecting significant changes, wait. No sense spending money on kit that is about to become obsolete. There are RF shooters who are still ticked about the .22LR switchover.
Agree.
bdutton wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:37 pm Are you referring to the nation specific color scheme recommendations that was proposed about a year or two ago? If so, those proposed changes were universally panned.
Yes that’s what I was referring to, and the possibility of excluding the shooting suit all together.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I really don't think they'll have the nerve to ban the shooting jackets and pants altogether. If we were starting from scratch, they would probably be prohibited...but everybody has bought them, then bought rifles weighted for a shooter wearing them. Ditch the support "space suit", and everything else has to be changed.

I would not say it's impossible, but it would be the sort of long-term health of the sport move that ISSF rarely makes.
Modena

Post by Modena »

the approach will be more to focus on other events that dont use them, like target sprint
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I do not think it's either fair, or historically accurate to say that heavy shooting specific clothing drove up rifle weight. Smallbore rifles have weighed 12-14lb and upwards since at least the 1950s. Shooting clothing was nothing like today's. Jackets were softer, and cut more like a blazer; cotton twill Tenex types seem to have dominated in the UK. Trousers were just trousers. Today's heavy and tailored designs for jackets and trousers didn't appear until, what the later 1970s or 1980s?
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Tim S wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:41 am I do not think it's either fair, or historically accurate to say that heavy shooting specific clothing drove up rifle weight. Smallbore rifles have weighed 12-14lb and upwards since at least the 1950s. Shooting clothing was nothing like today's. Jackets were softer, and cut more like a blazer; cotton twill Tenex types seem to have dominated in the UK. Trousers were just trousers. Today's heavy and tailored designs for jackets and trousers didn't appear until, what the later 1970s or 1980s?
It was into the 80s Tim, I gave up competitive shooting in 1983 when the local ranges shut and I don't remember seeing a stiff jacket by then, like you say the Tenex was the go to in the UK (usually with a home made hook stitched on the upper arm for the sling) and almost everyone was shooting a 54 Supermatch or a 64/1407
Modena

Post by Modena »

The ISSF program for Paris 2024 has been announced, and is unchanged from Tokyo (AR, AR Teams, 3P), so no clothing changes based on that program.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Modena wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:34 pm The ISSF program for Paris 2024 has been announced, and is unchanged from Tokyo (AR, AR Teams, 3P), so no clothing changes based on that program.
Don’t get snookered. It’s a long long time until 2024 and the winds that blow can take a very different direction as far as the Olympic shooting sports. Things have changed before at the nearly last minute to the Olympic games in the past. The IOC thumbs it nose for the most part at the shooting sports mainly because of it’s lack of photogenic appeal. Sure the IOC throws a bone once in a while such as no side blinders on shooting glasses. A minor concession to the visual appeal of the shooters while shooting. I am certain that the IOC will come up with a few more dings before 2024.