Who has Rink grips on their Toz35M?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Who has Rink grips on their Toz35M?

Post by brent375hh »

Thinking about buying some, but have a question. Looking on the Rink website, I can only see one screw per side. I would think they would be more secure with all the screws in place.
Is that how they fit them, or are there two screws per side that I can't see.
Thanks.
stephen_maly

Re: Who has Rink grips on their Toz35M?

Post by stephen_maly »

There is one screw on each side holding the grip plate to the frame. There is a further screw at the top, and behind the rear sight holding both grip plates together. Finally, there is a screw holding the palm rest to the opposite side grip plate. So, there are four screws fixing the grips in place, just not configured the way the Tula factory set them up. Also, the frame of the 35M is a little different from the frame of a 35 (which my grip fits perfectly), so some fitting is required when connecting to a 35M. Thomas Rink has considerable experience as his company has been making competition grips for some years now. If you don't like his grips, you can always get them from Morini; another very competent grip maker.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

I have the Rink grip on the Toz 35M and I love it. I don't remember any issues with the fitting and the grip is solidly attached to the frame.
Rink also sells for the Toz a grip that fastens with a single bottom screw, if you modify the pistol to move the loading lever on top.
I have bought one but i haven't managed to do the mod yet.
The Morini CM84e I use also has a Rink grip (both pistols are in in my avatar picture, pm me for high resolution pictures).
AJV

Post by AJV »

gimgim wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:40 am I have the Rink grip on the Toz 35M and I love it. I don't remember any issues with the fitting and the grip is solidly attached to the frame.
Exactly the same with me, but I am sure mine fits perfectly.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I have a Rink Grip on my TOX-35M. Just had to tell them the configuration when ordering.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
spektr

Post by spektr »

Something people do not understand is that the TOZ35 frames are not all identical. These guns are hand made and they are perfect where they need to be, but where perfection isnt needed, you wont find it. Grip screw locations move around gun to gun. Rinks using the only apparently stable grip hole to mount their grips is a well thought out solution to this. If you want to really lose your mind, buy a set of Morini's for your TOZ and figure which mounting screw hole combination works best, because they all wont line up at the same time. Toz Frames also aren't all the same thickness so the single screw mount works really well on it........

I can find bigger worries than a set of rinks not fitting, because they always will, except on Russian guns where the belief that close enough is fine on the stuff they think doesnt matter.....
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

As an example of the Russian approach to grip/frame fitting, all of the IZH air pistols have grips fitted individually to the frames. They use thin wooden shims wedged into the pocket for the "tang" of the frame to make sure there is no wobble. The frames are cast, and you would think they should be consistent, but not to the point of getting a wiggle free grip given the mounting screws they use. The grips are marked with the last few digits of the serial number of the pistol so they don't get mixed up.

It may also be that the frames are consistent, but the routing machinery to cut the internal pockets for the frame is the problem. Or they start with green wood & have to allow for shrinkage.

In any event, any given grip will NOT fit just any pistol.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Ive put the measuring machine to work on 3 toz frames. The dimensions are close, within 040 on width and 030 on thickness, Parallelism between the ground surfaces was something like 017 best and 022 worst, I suspect the wood tools have tolerance issues also, but I I actually threw them on a CMM because I was curious
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

For some reason though I have two sets of RINK SMALL grips, which is what they told me to order. The ones for the TOZ fit me, while the ones for the S&W Model 41 are too small.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

got a question about the toz35 Rink grips:
when you buy a new set, do they come with all the screws? or do you have to use the original screws the toz came with?
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Azmodan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:39 pm got a question about the toz35 Rink grips:
when you buy a new set, do they come with all the screws? or do you have to use the original screws the toz came with?
I haven't received mine yet, but the screws are standard 3mm screws that can be purchased at your local hardware store. Just pick a length and preferred head.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I now know why Rink only uses one screw for each panel.
Toz frames are not very consistent. I bought a second one, and it looks like a blacksmith made the grip frame. My prior grips won't come close to fitting. It might well be easier to make the grip frame fit the Rink grips that the other was around.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

brent375hh wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:26 pm
Azmodan wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:39 pm got a question about the toz35 Rink grips:
I haven't received mine yet, but the screws are standard 3mm screws that can be purchased at your local hardware store. Just pick a length and preferred head.

when the rink grips arrive, could you post some unboxing pictures? with the whole package. thanx
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I can.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Azmodan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:14 am
brent375hh wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:26 pm

when the rink grips arrive, could you post some unboxing pictures? with the whole package. thanx
I received my DHL package today. My pictures are too big to fit on this forum.
The grips come in a plastic bag with a hex wrench, a promotional sticker, and two hex screws with washers to attach them to the gun. Not much to really see.

They are a thing of beauty! I ordered Large size as according to Mr. Rink. My hand is 93mm across the palm and they fit perfect with the palm shelf in the middle of the range. I couldn't ask for a better fit.

They didn't fit the gun. I decided that Rink makes a very precise product, and the frame on a Toz is less than precise. I filed the frame until the two halves would go on and the screw holes would line up without stressing the grips or mounting screws.

I couldn't be happier with the way they fit my hand, and the excellent communication with Thomas Rink. My only negative? Because the grips are new and shipped in a plastic bag, the stain wasn't quite dry. My hand is now stained. I am sure that that will go away in time.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

nice. thank you.
i ordered a toz grip from rink myself. should arrive by the end of the month
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

my toz-35 rink grip arrived
20210202_165102_resz.jpg
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

How is the fit compared to what you ordered? Mine was dead on.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

the fit is good. i sent a sketch of my hand to Rink, and he suggested the parameters.
20210203_140547.jpg
20210203_140605.jpg
but... the grip is too short. there is still a good centimeter left to my wrist joint. dunno if i should have asked for a longer grip, or this is standard.
20210203_140701.jpg
20210203_140634.jpg
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Mine fit perfectly. If I could figure out how to downsize pictures I would post.

Did you request regular fit, or full fit, or whatever the call it that moves your hand back 5mm?