Air Pistol for Free Pistol Training

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
6string

Air Pistol for Free Pistol Training

Post by 6string »

Hello,
I have occasionally been using CB caps in my Hammerli 160 on the 25 ft. free pistol gallery target (TQ9). It is a nice change from regular 10m air pistol, and useful for days when I can't get to the range for regular 22 training.
But, I am considering getting an air pistol set up specifically for free pistol training.
For my purposes, that means fitting a free-style grip (or just making one...no problem!), and also having a single stage trigger capable of being set as light as possible to simulate a set trigger. My Hammerli is adjusted to a 30 gram trigger.

My Pardini K2s trigger won't adjust to my satisfaction. I've used many of the air pistols that were considered "new" about 15-20 years ago such as the Steyr LP1, FWB, Anschutz LP@, and the Morini 162 electronic. Somewhere I read about the latter being adjustable as light as 50 grams or so.

Any thoughts about the feasibility of my idea?

Thank you for your considered opinions,
Jim
McMadCow

Re: Air Pistol for Free Pistol Training

Post by McMadCow »

I'm not saying you're wrong, but why would manufacturers engineer their triggers to set that low when the ISSF regulation minimum is 500 grams? I've never touched the pull weight and engagement on my pistol so I don't have firsthand experience, but it would be surprising to me that the adjustment range would be so far beneath the minimum. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Last edited by McMadCow on Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

From memory, going back to the mid 1980s, the trigger of the FAS 606 was designed to be used in the FAS 605 Free Pistol by just removing one of the trigger springs.

I don't believe that the 605 ever made it past the prototype stage.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Having run far down this bunny hole, I am now dismissing the point of the exercise.
First, I would never shoot cb caps in a free pistol as they are quite short and combustion gasses would impinge on chamber parts not intended to see that. But beyond that, dry firing a free pistol will be better than what you are thinking. It is interesting that free pistol shooters as a group have not adopted your thinking (or mine years ago). Be that as it may, I did try this, My P44 will adjust to levels well under the issf limits and get close to being a surrogate, but I didn't like it because close isn't close enough...........
6string

Post by 6string »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate hearing from anyone has tried/explored this.
If any of you are familiar with schuetzen rifle, and it's indoor counterpart, zimmerstutzen, that's along the lines I was thinking.
The discontinued SAM-Hämmerli FP10 could be set up with a two stage trigger and heavier springs to give a more "air pistol" experience to free pistol shooting. Just thinking of the same thing in reverse. And, yes, I understand that such a set-up for an air pistol would disqualify it for use in ISSF competition.
lamap

Post by lamap »

The closest air pistol I know to free pistol is the Baikal IZH 46M.
Trigger can be set to one stage without problem, and can be lower than 500gr. I do not have the means to test how low it can go.
I feeling is not very far from the Mu55 I had.
6string

Post by 6string »

Thanks for the reference to the Baikal.
Actually, somebody else referred me to another SSP, the FWB 100 series. And, I seem to recall that the very old Hämmerli Master co2 AP allowed for quite a bit of trigger weight adjustment.
Again, I appreciate everyone's opinion. (That includes cautionary and contrary opinions!)

I know a few folks that use the Steyr LP50 set up with 1911 grip frame and red-dot sight for NRA 2700 training. So, it seems not unreasonable for me to at least explore the possibilities.... that is, AP as a trainer for other live fire disciplines.

Again, Thank You,
Jim