Miracle of 3-d printing, legal or not legal

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
thirdwheel

Re: Miracle of 3-d printing, legal or not legal

Post by thirdwheel »

ISSF legality aside the little light dot has proved something to you - if you look at the front sight and not target balh, blah, blah you will group, and over time you will get used to the way you focus is and you will be able to block the hole focus the same and still shoot as well or even better! - it's all to do with concentration. A bit of correction fluid or a bit of chalk will do the same
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

It is so, so, so true, Coach Thirdwheel.

After using this light dot front sight, target did not exist, rear sight did not exit, even front sight did not exist. It is just that light dot.

Now shooting my Steyr, which does not have that light dot yet, I can still "see" that light dot in the front sight. Definitely shooting better, even without light dot. Mentally it is still there.

Wondering if coaches will start using this as a training aid. Light dot is so much easier to focus than a scratch or color paint, etc.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've been using and recommending a chalk mark as a training aid for about 40 years. The advantage is that you can change it easily. If your brain gets tooo used to a particular mark and you find your focus drifting, just wipe off the old one and put on a new one.

The goal is NOT to cover the entire back of the sight to change its color. It's to add a little personality to the black rectangle to draw your focus. If the shot breaks and every spec of that mark wasn't in sharp focus, you need to concentrate more or get better glasses.
Dcforman

Post by Dcforman »

I agree with Gwhite. I actually use a tiny square of masking tape. Works a treat.

Dave
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> I agree with Gwhite. I actually use a tiny square of masking tape. Works a treat.

I am going to try this, thanks!
Just to double check, this is only a training aid and it won't be legal, correct?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

gimgim wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:51 am > I agree with Gwhite. I actually use a tiny square of masking tape. Works a treat.

I am going to try this, thanks!
Just to double check, this is only a training aid and it won't be legal, correct?
Providing it's not a fluorescent colour it's fine for the match.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Found this gentleman’s website

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RPFMY ... d=64178908

He can make your front sight in metal or plastic.

I am sure he can add a 1mm light tunnel to it if you want.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Your little chalk mark or in my case correction fluid is simpler but could be useful for a making a high 12 aim sight instead of spacers and a longer screw for those who cannot shut away from the black and have to use center hold, but that's a whole different shooting match.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I had a front sight printed some time ago with precisely that kind of hole. I think it's legal, as "light permitting" is not "light enhancing," and it's not at all like a fiber optic, which gathers light from multiple directions. A hole is a hole; it adds nothing. I got rid of that front sight, though, to avoid discussions like this one, but a tiny slit up to the top would definitely make it hard to argue as illegal. Perhaps a well-worded, pre-written argument in multiple languages would be needed in case of trouble with equipment check.