Targets for 5 meter ranges

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GoodEnuf

Targets for 5 meter ranges

Post by GoodEnuf »

Some of us cannot find a comfortable, warm, and suitable indoors 10+ meters for an air pistol range. It turns out that a 10 meter air rifle target projects at 5 meters a bull close to the perceived size of the 10 meter pistol target at 10 meters. The problem is how to gauge with acceptable precision the shot score.

By adding 4.5mm x 2 to each of the rings (line hits are "in") and then scaling the various 10 m. air pistol target rings including the pellet size addition at 50%, you can create the maximum spread that would be within each ring. (I know, there is a problem with the non-proportionable pellet hole size, 4.5mm at 5m and 10m., but this is GoodEnuf for fun.) I have used a 3-D printer to make measures corresponding to 10's down to 6's. Using the smallest measure to cover a group you get a serviceable feel for your group size projected onto a standard 10 m. air pistol target at 10 m.

With 12 bulls on a sheet and an appropriate target box, you can shoot groups of 3, 5 or 10 on lines of 4 bulls, without needing to move the target. The height is critical, and is addressed in posts by others; the target must be shifted after each line of 4 bulls. I use a remote camera with a nearby laptop to manage each shot, without having to scope the shots. The whole shebang is in a heated workshop/mancave.

I had the camera out to photograph pistol grips for another post, so took a picture of my measures, and was motivated to write up this method.

JE

_KP_1634 copy.jpg
_KP_1634 copy.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
Reporting from the Cascade Subduction Zone...
JonPersson

Re: Targets for 5 meter ranges

Post by JonPersson »

To scale down ring size AND also scale for bullet size the rings have to be a lot smaller than half the size compared to those on a 10 m target. I know you also know that because you did mention it.

For those interested in more advanced converting continue reading:
My example shows how to do in with the 10-ring.

10-ring diameter: 11.5mm
Total target area for 10-ring: 11.5+4.5+4.5=20.5mm

Calculate target area vs distance ratio: 20.5/10=2.05

For 5 m conversion use this ratio:
Total Tanger area for 10-ring @ 5 meters:
5*2.05=10.25mm

Ring size for 10-ring @ 5 m: 10.25-4.5-4.5=1.25mm

So the 10 ring must be reduced to 1.25 mm to scale properly from 10 m down to 5 m.
Do the same procedure for the other rings. The black will have to extend beyond the 7-ring in order to look the same size though.

These conversions will reduce the amount a shooter can sway side to side (parallel to the target) which will amplify those errors, but one can’t have it all.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Remember to practice properly you have to scale the target height, which depends on your height.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

You can calculate the right height and scale here https://www.olympicpistol.com/target-calculator/ The % of adaptation of the target should be helpful for all the size changes.