Anschutz 8002 air rifle for beginer?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Alfonso

Anschutz 8002 air rifle for beginer?

Post by Alfonso »

Hi
I'm new to the sport, me and my son eould like ti start shooting 10m air rifle for recreational porpuses, maybe he might get into competitions latter down the road, a friend of mine has offered me his Anschutz 8002 PCP air rifle for $750, I understand that this is an older model and perhaps I will need a new air cilinder (don't really know for sure) how donI know of I need a new one? The rifle does not come equiped with diopter sight nor a scope, is the price ok? I mean of I need to buy the sight and a new air cilinder does it still worth the $750?

I really would appreciate your comments

Regards
Al
IMG-20200406-WA0065.jpg
IMG-20200406-WA0059.jpg
Alfonso

Re: Anschutz 8002 air rifle for beginer?

Post by Alfonso »

I forgot to mention that the scope mounted on the rifle in the picture is not included with the rifle
spektr

Post by spektr »

These ARE good rifles if well cared for. If the scope doesn't come with it, make sure the aperture sights are there, and if not, walk away...... The cylinders have a 10 year service life, and are probably out of date, but replacement would only be driven by condition, or how u feel about laws.......

Truthfully, you would probably be better served by a brand spanking new Crosman Challenger. It is a rifle capable of outshooting most people for less money, proper sights and a new cylinder come with it
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Sights can be expensive, but for $750 I would say there is a fair amount of room for that extra expense, compared to purchasing another high end PCP target rifle.
Out of date cylinders are only an issue if you would like to use it in competition. For recreational shooting it is not a factor.

This is just my opinion, but based on what I've seen on the market recently, that is a pretty good deal on a good rifle. However, as spektr notes, there are less expensive options that would be adequate for your purpose, so it's up to you and what you want to spend.

marky-d
Alfonso

Post by Alfonso »

Thank you both, your answers really help
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

I shoot an 8002 and like it a lot. If you buy it you will need sights. A 6834 sight set is over $300. A new air cylinder is over $200. Also you will need to fill you gun with air somehow. It's not a terrible deal but these are the other costs. Check Champions Choice website for prices as I think I am a bit light with my numbers.
Having said all of that an 8002 is a rifle you can compete with for way less than the current top end stuff and it is a dream to shoot.
Rick
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

On the surface a good deal but no sights is a problem. So whether it’s a good deal depends on how much $$ you have to spend on a sight set. I wouldn’t worry about the out of date cylinder. The out of date cylinder could keep you from shooting some of the bigger matches that check the date but from a functionality standpoint it’s fine. If you plan to buy that rifle, a site set, and a new air cylinder then I would pass and just buy a new rifle like a FWB Universal, Anschutz Club Rifle, etc.
Alfonso

Post by Alfonso »

Thank you all

Does anyone know where can I find a secon hand set of sights? Or any other cheaper sights that I can start with?

Regars
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

Buy the rifle and then buy the sights elsewhere, that is a good deal for that 8002. I have seen 2002 go for more than that. Sights will stay with you as you progress, buy the best you can afford. You can buy used sights here, rimfire central or accurate shooter forum, but will have to wait to get a good deal. I sold a set of 7020 a few years ago for $375 shipped I believe, and I have seen the 6834 go as low as $200. There are usually cheaper older sights if you want something in a hurry. I think it comes with sights now, but a 9015 club is $2200 or so.
rpm

Post by rpm »

Are you saying it's OK to use out of date air cylinders? I have three that are out of date. I was told they were unsafe to use and that doing so puts me and family at risk.

If you have better information I would appreciate knowing that I could use them safely.

Thank you very much
spektr

Post by spektr »

Here is the deal with tank dates.
The law says it is illegal for the tank to be refilled by someone in the course of commerce after the tank expiration date. There is NOTHING prohibiting you from doing so. The tanks are not serviceable for return to DOT acceptability. The reason you cannot enter a contest with an out of time tank is that the contest itself is viewed as an act of commerce,and use of tbe tank is prohibited. You get to make the call on how you wish to refill your tank for your non-commercial use. It may be fine, it may not be fine, you get to decide. Are tanks beyond 10 years of age automatically hazardous, most likely not. Its entirely your call..... Knowing what I know, Im retiring mine when they age out. Just because its simple for me to do so.......
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm curious what expensive sights get you over a set of cheap ones, within reason.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the jewelry factor, and I'm sure there are low end (plastic) sights that can't maintain 'zero' or other sorts of adjustment issues, but we aren't talking about guns that kick a lot or are generally mis-handled where they will lose their setting all the time. It seems like a pretty low bar compared to "buy the best you can afford".

I've never had any issues with the sights on my $150 Daisy 853, but I'm wondering what I'm missing. The sights on my FWB 700 and my Anschutz might look more impressive, but they seem to function about the same.

marky-d
CTFish

Post by CTFish »

Watch the Heinz Reinkemeier videos and you'll want all kinds of fancy sight bits and bobs.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

marky-d wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:45 pm Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm curious what expensive sights get you over a set of cheap ones, within reason.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the jewelry factor, and I'm sure there are low end (plastic) sights that can't maintain 'zero' or other sorts of adjustment issues, but we aren't talking about guns that kick a lot or are generally mis-handled where they will lose their setting all the time. It seems like a pretty low bar compared to "buy the best you can afford".

I've never had any issues with the sights on my $150 Daisy 853, but I'm wondering what I'm missing. The sights on my FWB 700 and my Anschutz might look more impressive, but they seem to function about the same.

marky-d
The deal with the Daisy sights (Crosman or the Chinese or similar) is that there will always be a bit of mechanical backlash to these sights.
Also, if one (say a young athlete) cranks them into the stop, it will most probably destroy the sight ... plastic parts get broken/stripped and the ball bearing for the notch will fall out & magically disappear.
Also not as "rugged" as the more expensive sights.
BUT ---- Nothing wrong with them if treated nice. I stripped the stock sights off of our Izmash CM-2's (smallbore) and put on tubes and Daisy sights for intermediate shooters. Have had several shoot well enough to make the National JOs with those.

Now .... looking at the more expensive sights.
Less backlash by a wide margin and repairable if someone drives the sights past or into the stop. Never had one that was not repairable.
Also, all sights get dirty & grundgy, and again they can be serviced/repaired and brought back to like new.

The 7020 sights have a finer "click" movement for a bit more precise aiming capability. Usually not a big deal at 10m airgun distances, but helpful at 50 and 100m smallbore distances.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Thanks, that's more or less what I figured.

I think I've always been of the "only expect precision adjustment when going in one direction" mind from working with old Bridgeport mills, so backlash isn't a deal-breaker for me. :)

marky-d
CoolJJ

Post by CoolJJ »

Just my opinion, the price is a little high considering it doesn't have a sight set and the air cylinder is out of date. If it came with sights and an unexpired cylinder, it would be good. But consider at minimum you'll need to spend an extra $200 for sights (older anschutz sight from ebay), an extra $220 - $250 for a new cylinder, and another $218 for a hand pump (hill from champions choice). Some say the cylinder would probably be OK, but for peace of mind, I would replace it. That's a minor cost vs a hospital bill or death. Has it been serviced or had seals replaced recently? That might be another cost you'll run into. If you want it, negotiate for some of the cost for these other items. If you get serious, you'll lose money if you want to resell the Anschutz and upgrade.

Another thing to consider is the age and size of your child. Will you and your child try to shoot off hand and kneeling? Or just prone or off a bench? The Anschutz 8002 is probably around 9lbs in weight. If you're just starting out and your child is still little, I would consider the lighter Crosman Challenger from Champions Choice. It's a pretty decent rifle and the sights that come with it are surprisingly good considering the price. The trigger is not comparable to an Anschutz, but is still pretty decent considering the price and good for a beginner to learn. For the price of Crosman Challenger and a pump, you're in less than the Anschutz.