Gear and rifle case: How do you move them around?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

sureshot007

Gear and rifle case: How do you move them around?

Post by sureshot007 »

The title is a little weird, because I wasn't sure how to phrase it, but here is my situation: I used to use a soft equipment bag that I could toss on my back like a backpack, so I'd always have a hand free to operate doors and such.

Recently, I decided to give a hard style equipment case a shot. It has wheels, so I thought it would be no big deal to roll it around. What I've noticed is that having my rifle case in one hand, and the equipment case in the other, I'm constantly juggling stuff to open doors and such.

When I approach the range door, this is the series of events:
  • Put the rifle case down
  • Unlock and open the door
  • Prop the door open with my foot
  • Pick up the rifle case
  • Kick the door open far enough to get my equipment case in the path
  • Door hits the case, and case scrapes along the door as I pull it inside
  • Pull case over the large lip of the door frame with a descent amount of force
  • Miscellaneous other banging around of both cases because of the door pushing on things
  • Repeat again for the next 2 doors before I'm on the range
  • Do it all in reverse to go home, and then deal with my house door as well...
It's not as easy to move around, but my back appreciates it a lot more than the previous bag.

So, does anyone have any tricks for mitigating the awkwardness of getting to the process of getting through doors and such? I was thinking about trying to build a fold out tray on the equipment case to put the rifle case on, so that I can at least have 1 hand available as I pull the gear around. I can't be the only one that has run into this. What about people that regularly deal with stairs???
jhmartin

Re: Gear and rifle case: How do you move them around?

Post by jhmartin »

OK ... After over 17 years associated with this sport I just cannot resist.
Traveling with rifle gear just sucks ... add in 2 rifles if you shoot Air & SBR, not much more sucky, just heavier.

The way to make this easy, especially if you are a junior, is to get your mommy or daddy to haul your gear around and you just open the doors.
(Although I've seen a few oblivious to their "porters" behind them)
Next is you take a case, dad/mom/coach take a case & you share door duties. (for myself, I'm still in this mode & enjoy it ... time with the kiddo & all)
Third is for you to haul your own crap & have the mom/dad/coach do the doors.
(Little brothers and sisters are helpful here as substitutes as well)

Now after that, it just gets back to that sucky concept.

Some seriousness now:
I seen many of the shooters today (especially collegiate & above) come flying ino town w/ hard cases, but once they hit the hotel they stash the hard case & they also have a soft case packed as well. Something like:
https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product ... /Gun-Cases
There are cheaper alternatives, but this one makes it easy to have your hands free (pricy yeah, but compared to sucky....?????)

Then they have a roller gear case or bag they drag along and have a hand (and yes the two feet) to handle the doors.

Makes you wonder why you did not start them off with pistol........
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

Ugh, I just did the math and I've been shooting for 27 years...sometimes I forget I'm not 20 anymore, but quickly remember after I'm done shooting standing.

I wish my step daughter was interested in shooting, because that would solve some of this....except then I'd have twice the gear...

I've seen people with soft cases, but I have never liked the idea. I'm too worried about smacking things during transportation. In theory, it does solve the issue though.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Many collegiate teams now travel (air) with the rifles in the softcases inside the hard.
Dumping all that fancy cut foam that Dad spent hour on..... :-)
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

hey shure shot

I have a hard aluminum rifle case with wheels and I also have a moderately priced no name soft luggage duffle with wheels that has a hard bottom.

On my rifle case, I bolted two heavy duty hooks available at he hardware store, the heavy ones they got on the rack with the chain and shackles and eyebolts and stuff. Positioned the two hooks on the rifle case such that when the rifle case was standing on end upright, the hooks caught the grab strap of the duffle while it was standing on end right next to it. couple pieces of bent steel as springs to secure the handle in the hooks and you are set to go.
Couple of bungee chords around the whole thing makes it one unit.

When tilted, the duffle stays on top of the rifle case and is carried by the wheels of the rifle case.

Since it was too heavy to lift into the truck, I would assemble it at the truck and take it to the shooting line, Awkward? yes, but not quite as "Suckey" as described in the previous poster. If the shooting line was not far from the truck then I usually did not bother putting the two together. Either just connecting them with the hooks and no bungees for short smooth commutes with few doors or making two trips if it was ruff and a couple or more doors. The bungees keep the duffle bag from sliding off the rifle case to the side.

Right now I am in the process of relocating and do not have easy access to my rifle shooting equipment. I would get a photo if I could.

the only instance where this did not work was where the shooting line was a long distance away and you had to traverse gravel, mud, sand, or grass to get there. Think of Camp Perry. In that case I used my beach cart, called "Fish-N-Mate" with some pipe racks that fit in the fishing rod holders to hold my rifle case. Couple of Bungees too!

Google the Fish-N-Mate Cart, I have the trailer hitch rack that lets me install it behind the bumper of my Explorer and carry coolers and other equipment that does not need interior protection while traveling.

My wheeled duffle bag is on its last legs and I will need to replace it when I get relocated and back into shooting. When I do, I am going to closely measure the rubber feet on the bottom to make sure that they straddle the rifle case, the current rubber feet are two lengthwise rubber runners that are too close together to straddle the case and invaribly it slips to one side if not bungeed good enough.

For what it is worth, I also have a ancient freeland combination rifle rest and spotting scope holder. It has cast aluminum components with a 4 inch alum pipe as the post and weighs a ton. If the commute to the firing line is difficult, I will substitute a lightweight champions choice rifle stand/perch and a separate champions choice spotting scope stand. Neither of which are as steady or convenient to use as that ancient freeland one.

Hope this gives you some ideas, the combination wheeled duffle/rifle case configuration is not expensive and rather easy to do, just bolt a couple hooks in the rifle case at the correct spot and your all set. The Fish-N-Mate Beach Cart I saw the pier fishermen using down in North Carolina about ten years ago and grabbed one when I saw it, realizing how handy and multi purpose they can be. I use mine for additional carrying capacity in my truck, for shooting, for bar-b-ques, beach trips, hunting, towing behind my bicycle, and for fishing too. I did reinforce the frame around the axle with additional steel pads because that looks like a weak point and I have not had any problems with it in the ten years I have owned it and it has been loaded down with hundreds of pounds of stuff including a monster beer cooler fully packed. It is not cheap but I have long forgotten the cost. The wide wheels (8 inch i think) traverse all surfaces with ease. The front little dolly wheel is too fragile and I replaced it with a post so it sits level and will not roll away on a grade. That little dolly wheel broke almost the first time I used it.

Regards,
Crankster
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Have you thought about one of those Lowepro camera rucksacks for all your bits and bobs? Padded customisable space plus room for clothes etc. May or may not suit but worth a look
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I think I'd just be carrying an additional bag then.
rtucker6508

Post by rtucker6508 »

jhmartin wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:55 am Many collegiate teams now travel (air) with the rifles in the softcases inside the hard.
Dumping all that fancy cut foam that Dad spent hour on..... :-)
Exactly 🤣🤣🤣
Doc8406

Post by Doc8406 »

When at the range... I use a "baby jogger II" to move my stuff from the truck to the line.. unless one is able to park right there at your spot..
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

I have a two gun soft/canvas rifle case that I can carry like a backpack. Makes it easier when moving equipment around.

https://sport.woot.com/offers/vism-by-n ... ine-case-2
sureshot007

Post by sureshot007 »

I decided to try an easy option today and threw a shoulder strap on my gun case. It worked better than I thought. Maybe I just need a shotgun back scabbard for my rifle?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Depends on your age I guess.
I used to carry a laptop around as I traveled on a strap on the case. Not anymore ... all wheels. My 63 year old back cannot take that abuse anymore