Rear sight riser for older FWB sights

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Brazos

Rear sight riser for older FWB sights

Post by Brazos »

I recently picked up a nice FWB 2600 off the classifieds here. I bought it to introduce my daughter to 3P small bore. I installed an adjustable rear iris like her FWB 800 10M rifle and a Centra 22mm front site like her 10M rifle. The 22mm front site is a little to high and I run out of adjustment on the rear sight. The FWB 2600 has the same FWB rear sight they seemed to put on every rifle of the era (FWB 300s, 600s, etc.). It locks down with a cross bolt on the sight into grooves milled out in the rifle’s receiver. This lockdown system has me wondering. I see there are FWB rear sight risers in various heights available from MEC, etc. but all the ones I see for sale do not have the horizontal groove milled into the riser for the cross bolt in the older FWB rear sight. Just curious if anyone knew if it would work before buying one?
GaryN

Re: Rear sight riser for older FWB sights

Post by GaryN »

As I recall the sightline of the 300 is lower than the later rifles.
I tried to put a rear sight from a P70 onto my 300, and like you I ran out of adjustment, but in the reverse direction due to a low front sight.

I looked at my 300 rear sight.
It appears that the "cross bolt" is just above the clamp.
IOW it will engage on a round top receiver.
And for that reason, a riser with a FLAT top (most of them) might sit just below the "cross bolt."

Alternatively, get a modern rear sight for the 2600. But make sure that it can go on a round top receiver, if the 2600 has a round top receiver.
The grove in the receiver and matching rod on the sight is to prevent the sight from moving when the receiver of the 300 recoils.
The 2600 might have the same recoil issue. But I've shot 22s with a clamped scope, and never had the scope move, so I would think the clamp of the modern rear sights should hold.
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

You are correct Gary the top of the 2600 receiver is round. I did not think a out that. So effectively the horizontal grooves in the top of the receiver make it flat in a sense. There are so many older FWB rifles around with this sight I am sure I am not the first person to run into this so I will wait a little longer to see if a modern riser will work. I had this Centra 22mm front sight sitting around so it was free to try. It worked great on my FWB 601 with the exact same rear sight as the FWB 2600.

I did just have an idea. The next time my daughter brings her FWB 800 home from school I could just try the old FWB sight on her 800 and see if it fits/works.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I have to look at my risers.
But they are on flat top receivers, so I do not know if they would mount on a round top receiver.
Sandsniper

Post by Sandsniper »

Hi,

The risers will mount on the round receivers - I have risers on a FWB2000 , however, I have not tried to fit the original sight to the riser (i run a centra 10/50 on it)

Cheers Ross
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

Thanks Gary & Sandpiper. I will try to see if my older rear sight fits on my daughter’s FWB 800. If it does I will order a riser. If it works I will order a riser and see if it works and post back here for future search reference.
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

Not to drag this thread on forever but did want to report back the older FWB rear sight did tighten down on my daughters FWB 800 sight base riser. So for future people searching the answer is it should work.