Lightest high end 10 meter air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

whitefox545

Re: Lightest high end 10 meter air rifle

Post by whitefox545 »

Guy's Thanks for all of the reply's!! I have a line on a "like new" F.W.B. 700 Evolution that I will probably buy , looks to be lighter in weight than most, condition when seen in person will be the determining factor of course. I will be making or buying a different grip for it I'm sure as it came with an Ambidextrous one on it from F.W.B. and it looks rather odd to me? Can anyone give me any info on the Evolution as far as how it may compare to the regular 700? Thanks in advance. J.L.
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

Jeff,

Just because a rifle looks like new doesn't mean it will shoot like new. The FWB 700 has been around since about 2000. It was replaced in 2011-12 by the 800. Here is what I would suggest you do to check it out.

If you have a chronograph or a friend has one you can borrow I would suggest you take it with you when you go look at the air rifle.

Take 4 shots from a solid rest to verify that the velocity is the same each shot. Load the rifle again but wait 5 minutes before taking the fifth shot. Make sure the velocity is still the same as the first 4.

On one of the shots take 1 square of a single ply of toilet paper and lay it over top of the action. If their is any movement of the TP when you fire the shot, air is escaping from the wrong place.

If any of these tests don't check the rifle will need serviced by a FWB authorized service center and that needs to be reflected in the price.

It would be nice to be able to check the sights for repeatability with a micrometer, but that takes a lot of expertise and knowledge.
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

JimmyO, Thanks again for the reply, I agree and full well understand the things you have suggested to check for and appreciate your concern. I by no means consider my self an airgun smith but I do all of my own maintenance,modifications and repairs to my air guns. The man I am considering buying this gun from is a highly respected guy in the Field Target circles and I have bought guns from him in the past. I don't know how much work you do on your daughters rifles but in reality air guns are fairly simple devices, It is usually a mater of o-rings if you do happen to have a problem so I'm not real concerned about repair costs. I have been trying to find out more about this particular model such as if it has the same trigger and internal workings as all of the other 700 models. I know that I will have to put sight risers on it and will be buying or making another grip and cheek piece for it but that is minor as the price I would be paying for it and the cost of the parts I would need I would still have way less than half the price of a new one invested.
I would really like a new 800x and I already have one that I want located but from what I have been able to find out the difference in accuracy is undetectable as there is little change in the workings of the two rifles. I realize that the new 800x is much more adjustable as far as the stock goes but I'm just not sure that me being the age I am really warrants all the little improvements that the 800 series has? You never know though If the gun (and their are two of them,one newer that the other) are not what I really want when I see it I surely wont buy one!! Again,thanks for your help!! Looking forward to meeting you at Frasier Simplex sometime soon!! Jeff L.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

If you're willing to wade thru exploded drawings for the various models, you will most likely be able to tell if internal parts are shared or not. Check here:

https://www.feinwerkbau.de/en/Service-D ... d-drawings

BB
spektr

Post by spektr »

I'm retired, I'm hurt and lost a lot of my feet to flesh eating bacteria. I wobble like shit standing...... Spend the money on the 800x, eliminate every excuse you could ever think of and remove the what if I had only....... My wife actually bought this for me as a thanks for surviving for me present and the cost is insignificant compared to the joy of being a mere mortal handed the gun equivalent of a Ferrari F1 car.

And yes I know Ferrari got their ass whipped again this weekend.........
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

Jeff, I was in no way implying anything bad about the 700. I only pointed out the age as a indication of a potential shot count on the rifle. My daughter goes through 10-15k pellets a year with her air rifle. Multiply that times 10-20 years. That is all I was getting at.

I went to Trinidad State JC for gunsmithing. There isn't much work I won't do on a gun. But I wouldn't consider trying to service the regulator on the 800x. These ultra high end air rifle's regulators require more than just replacing a couple of o-rings to keep them at peak performance.

We were hoping to get to FS a couple times this week but decided to go out of town for a few days. Hopefully one day next week we can get together.
sillymike

Post by sillymike »

spektr wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:44 pm the cost is insignificant compared to the joy of being a mere mortal handed the gun equivalent of a Ferrari F1 car.

And yes I know Ferrari got their ass whipped again this weekend.........
I guess that's one of the fun things about target shooting. In the big scheme of things, the very best equipment isn't all that expensive, and if you have the will/ability/determination, you could use your stuff at the Olympic and not be outgunned.
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Thanks guys for all of the reply's, I will take all of your advice very serious. Great group here!! JimmyO I hope to hear from you soon and meet you at F/S soon! Thanks again!!
Jeff