Ice or no ice in your Bourbon?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

william

Re: Ice or no ice in your Bourbon?

Post by william »

I heard the expression 35 or so years ago. It seems some of the old-time bullseye shooters were known for taking a drink before a match. If you'd have asked me back then I'd be happy to share the names that were told to me. But after all this time and perhaps a few too many group tighteners of my own....
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I shoot at one club that has a Bar and fly out of an airport that has a bar inside the Fixed Based Operator, but we have a standing rule, no drinking until the shooting or flying is done for the day.
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
william

Post by william »

rkittine wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:11 pm I shoot at one club that has a Bar and fly out of an airport that has a bar inside the Fixed Based Operator, but we have a standing rule, no drinking until the shooting or flying is done for the day.
It was never permitted. It was just done. There is a difference.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Now a days the public ranges that I shoot at are so concerned about liability and being shut down, the policing has gotten very aggressive.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

rkittine wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:11 pm no drinking until the shooting or flying is done for the day.
Re flying, "the bottle to throttle rule", my pilot friend says.

Re water in Scotch, you can buy a flask of water of the river that flows through the distillery, right? For about as much as the Scotch. ;)
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Pilot alcohol restrictions depends a lot on what kind of flying you are doing. Used to be "8 Hours, Bottle to Throttle". That may or may not be enough. When I was flying for a major carrier, we would go to bars in uniform at night after our last flight and before going home or while on a layover. Now the rule is .05 blood alcohol level, much tighter than .08 for DUI and if you were to get caught drinking in uniform today you would be immediately terminated. Most carriers do not allow pilots to drink during any duty time, any alcohol even when on a layover or 30 hour turn.

When I was in military flight training, we would do simulator drills before having a drink and then after having, 1,2 3 drinks etc. In most cases most could function just fine when the drill was a normal procedure, but we learned very quickly what even a small amount of alcohol could mean when things started going to hell quickly.

So then the questions become turned around. Do you put Bourbon over your ICE!
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

rkittine wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 am So then the questions become turned around. Do you put Bourbon over your ICE!
Never. I always add one cube to the Bourbon.

My son found some silicone rubber hexagon ice trays, the "cubes" are spot-on perfect size and shape for this.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Tonights cocktail will be Lagavulan 16. Tiny Touch of Ice Water to open it up.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Peaty!

Any suggestion for taming the smokiness of the Lagavulin 8yr? Ice does nothing. Drop of water helps but only a little.
william

Post by william »

-TT- wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:06 am Peaty!

Any suggestion for taming the smokiness of the Lagavulin 8yr? Ice does nothing. Drop of water helps but only a little.
Yeah, choose another malt, preferably not from Islay. I'm frequently taken aback by the whisky drinkers who don't really like the taste of what they drink.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Yes, Get the 16 year old. I prefer the smokiness, so I just buy Lophroig 10 year old for a lot less money. The Drop of Ice Water will help open up any single malt. If you want much less smokiness, I like Oban 14, but I also buy Singleton 12 year old for about 40% less than Oban, that I think is just as good.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Thanks, yeah, but the 16yo price makes my eyes water :) I like the 8yo enough I guess.

Oban 14 is also in the cabinet and much liked. Will try the Singleton and see if it passes the just-as-good test!
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Gentlemen, I think this thread has gotten WAAAAAAYYYY off track for this forum . . . .

I know it's the Apocalypse and all, but we're SUPPOSED to still be shootin' guns, not drinking . . .

So how many safety violations do we see in this pic?

Ade C

Post by Ade C »

I'm in the UK and usually drink Scotch whisky but bought a bottle of Jim Beam as it was on offer. I've been putting ginger ale in it. Am I a heretic?
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

atomicgale wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:50 pm So how many safety violations do we see in this pic?
That nutjob is putting 9mm ammo in his .38 revolver. And put three cubes in his glass of whatever.
william

Post by william »

Ade C wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:22 pm I'm in the UK and usually drink Scotch whisky but bought a bottle of Jim Beam as it was on offer. I've been putting ginger ale in it. Am I a heretic?
You might be ruining perfectly good ginger ale.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

8 oz glass
Filled to the top with ice
3/4 of the glass filled with Jim Beam ( have tried others, but always come back to the working mans stuff)
Enjoy for the next hour.

That my friends is how I roll.....
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Jim Bean would be enhanced with Ginger Ale.
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Sharing tonight's choice, two fingers of Basil Hayden's and one hex "cube". Very relaxing.
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

It is obvious. Very few subscribe to Mr. Pope’s belief regarding this subject. I suggest reading his book regarding the use of beverages and shooting. I believe he was absolutely correct.

Possibly, Mr. Warner could chime in?

MarkTrew