Lightest high end 10 meter air rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

whitefox545

Lightest high end 10 meter air rifle

Post by whitefox545 »

Hi! all, I'm old (67) and getting weaker by the day it seems but I really like shooting ten meter, that being said I have gone from shooting an old FWB 300s universal to shooting a Crosman Challenger sporter class rifle with several modifications. I can definitely hold and shoot the Challenger better because of the weight.
They both shoot way better than I could ever hope to! (a smarter man than me would just shoot what I have) but I have a burning desire to get a high end rifle knowing full well it may not improve my shooting much if any but I just want one!!!!
Looking at all of the Walther's/FWB's/Anschutz, ect. knowing that they will all shoot world class scores I can't make up my mind which one to get??
Can you offer any advice to help me make a decision as to what to buy and why you think that? I don't have any place I can go and see/hold these rifles in person that is reasonably close to were I live. I am certain any of them I would buy I would be happy with but I would like some advice from people with much more experience than my self. As far as the different makes/models are the actions for one brand pretty much all the same and the differences are in the stock and sight configurations? Thanks in advance, J.L. McMurray Pa.
Shooterer

Re: Lightest high end 10 meter air rifle

Post by Shooterer »

As I'm getting older also, I am looking to upgrade my FWB 603 to a PCP. When that day comes, I will be looking for a rifle that has a "Loading Tray" so I don't have to try and place the pellets into the breech.
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

J.L.
Well I am 76 and I love to shoot 10 meter as well but really no matches around here so I shoot air silo and field target which are both fun however there is noting like shooting 10 meter air rifles. They are just a dream to shoot. Most of my rifles are heavy compared to my 10 meter rifle which is an Anschutz 8002 (from CMP)and I don't think it is any lighter than your FWB 300 and probably heavier than your Challenger. I think most of the higher end rifles are going to be heavier than your Challenger. If price is a concern checkout the rifles CMP offers. They are nice guns without the super fancy stocks. I would stay away from the Hammerli though. Just my personal opinion. If you want the top line stuff Champions Choice has them.
I am near Phila., PA and you can shoot my stuff any time. Email is wa2gtj@aol.com.
Rich B.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

The lightest one I know of is the Air Arms S200 at 2.9Kg as opposed to a 8002 at 5.5Kg. I looked at one for my wife a few years ago but never followed it through. It looks a bit basic and I have no idea how good they are
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Take a look at the "junior" version of the rifles.
I shoot a P70-Jr. Significantly lighter than the full size P70 rifle.
I have a bad back and don't shoot with a shooting jacket, so for me, lighter was/is better.

BUT, and to me this is a BIG BUT, most of the junior rifles that I have seen, are ambidextrous. It may not bother you, it did me.
To me the pistol grip of an ambi stock is NEITHER right nor left. I never got used to it.
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Thanks for the reply's everyone, I'm trying to decide weather I want a Walther or a FWB aluminum stocked rifle. I realize that most of them weigh around ten and a half pounds, but I would like to know which one feels lighter and more balanced I guess. What model in both makes would you recommend? The FWB looks to be more front heavy but that may not be the case? Sure would be nice to handle this stuff before making a decision but to my knowledge there isn't any place near me to do that, that's why I'm asking for answers. Rick, thanks for the offer to shoot yours but your on the other end of the state from me !!! Thanks for the reply's!! J.L. McMurray Pa.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

Hi J.L.

Are you completely sold on an aluminum stocked rifle?

I have a Feinwerkbau 800W that I really love. It is supremely accurate. The catalog weight of this rifle is 9 1/4 pounds (4.2 kilos). I have added four barrel weights to mine to bring the weight up. I love the balance(feel) and think the built-in sight risers are an excellent feature of this rifle. The knob adjustable butt plate and cheek piece is convenient too. The wood stock lightens this rifle up quite a bit compared to the aluminum stocked 800's, yet it retains most of the modern features. The wood is beautiful too. Similarly, the 2800W smallbore rifle is lighter than the 2800 aluminum stocked rifle.

Another Feinwerkbau you might look at is the 800 Universal. The laminated wood Universal stock is not ambidextrous. The 800 Universal catalogs at 10 pounds and costs around $1000 less than the 800W. I am not positive, but the wooden Universal stock might have a U-shaped weight installed beneath the air cylinder that can be removed to lighten the rifle further. I used to own a Feinwerkbau C60 with an earlier version of this Universal type stock that had this weight. With the weight removed, it did lighten the rifle noticeably.

I actually looked over my records recently and found that I shot my C60 with the Universal stock somewhat better overall, in four position shooting, than my 800W with the more modern stock. Nevertheless, I still really love the 800W and recommend it. I am sure I would enjoy an 800 Universal too.

Brian
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Hi! Brian, Yea that's kinda what I have in mind but I do like some of the wood laminate stocks and wonder if they have the exact same rifle action and components as the higher end guns with only the stock being the difference? Kinda hard to tell in the pictures and descriptions. Most of the high end guns are sold out at the moment in the USA and many are also sold out at Krale in Europe also? Were do you buy your stuff? Not a good time to be looking for a new gun I guess!! Thanks for the great reply!! J.L.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

I bought my 800W from Champion's Choice in Tennessee. They have plenty of Feinwerkbau rifles in stock and they list how many they have on their website. If you have any questions about the rifles, you can call them. They are very helpful and friendly over the phone.

I don't know for sure, but I believe the Feinwerkbau actions and barrels are the same for all of the 800 series, with the different stocks being the only difference. And the adjustable sight risers. It's too bad the 800 Universal doesn't come with them.

Brian
540x

Post by 540x »

We have 3 air rifles in our house, a Walther lg400 expert weight is 9 lbs 12oz, an anschutz 8002 s2 weight is 9 lbs 6 oz, and an anschutz 8001 weight is 8 lbs 6oz, all weighed on my wife's electronic food scale. The Walther has a loading tray which is very nice. The anschutz are breech loaders. To me the lg400 and 8002 s2 feel very similar but the Walther balances better. None of the rifles have any additional weight. The Walther expert stock is easier to adjust for 3p than the 8002 s2, for offhand the Walther feels better between my hands than either of the anschutz, but I'm old school, I'm used to carrying a rifle hunting big game. Just my opinion. My 13 year old daughter qualified for the j O's this year with the lg400.
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

JL, My 4' 11" 17 year old daughter is shooting the FWB 800X. She was shooting the Crossman Challenger before jumping to precision class. The combination of the more precise fit, and being allowed to wear a shooting suit has made it easier for her, even though it is heavier. Her scores jumped from

Her 14 year old teammate is shooting the same gun. Both of them love the gun. It weighs 10.5 pounds. As another poster mentioned the 800w is also available and weighs a pound less. I am not certain of all the differences.

The Walther LG400 is also an incredible rifle. Depending on which stock you get it will be between 8.5 and 11 pounds. If I was buying her a new rifle today, I would give it a very hard look.

The FWB has a max fill of 200bar (3000 psi) the Walther has a max fill of 300bar (4350 psi) So the Walther will shoot more shots between fills IF you have a way to fill it to 300bar. If you will be using a scuba tank as your air fill source, they will be about equal.

FYI - We shoot 10m air at Frazier Simplex Friday nights fall through spring. Unfortunately there aren't enough 10m shooters locally to form a league. My daughter also shoots in the Pittsburgh Suburban League against Murraysville. 😁
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Jimmy O, I am from McMurray Pa. about 10 miles north of Frasier Simplex!! Is it okay for me to visit on a Friday night or dose the Covid stuff have you closed down to visiters? I would love to come up and watch and see some of the equipment if it's at all possible. I'm not a newbe to airguns as I shoot Field Target and Benchrest with airguns but what we use is much different from the ten meter stuff. I had a Steyr LG110 a couple years ago but sold it to get an electronic Daystate Red Wolf. Could have changed the regulator and transfer port and used it for ten meter but to late now!! I never thought much about ten meter till I went to the CMP indoor center at Camp Perry a couple winters ago with a couple other old guys from Dormont Mt. Lebanon to shoot on a Thursday evening. I had shot a bit on Wednesday mornings at DMSC with a FWB 300s that I have but wasn't hooked on it then as no one there is into airguns like I am. Several guys there have the Daisy 853s but aren't very serious about air guns. I'm really to old to be doing this but I enjoy it a lot and got really into it, being cooped up earlier this year with the covid thing!! I can shoot in my basement as I built a nice range there in March. Thank's for the great reply!! Jeff Little McMurray Pa.
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

You would be more than welcome to stop by. However Mackenna and Riley will start shooting again as soon as we get back from Mackenna's rifle camps. I can let you know when we are going to be there.

Shoot me an email with your phone number and I will call you to set something up. jmomara72@gmail.com
sillymike

Post by sillymike »

A Steyr LGB1 weights in at about 3.6Kg (slightly under 8 lbs), and while it's only about 1lb less than the LG110, it feels much lighter.
- As a middle-aged casual shooter, my scores off-hand are pretty much the same with either rifles.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Some comparison weight specs:

FWB 800 jr, 7.7 pounds
FWB 800 basic, 8.6 pounds
FWB 800 AL, 9.9

Anschutz 9015 jr = 8.2 pounds
Anschutz 9015 AL = 10.1 pounds

Walther LG400 AL = 9.3 pounds
Did not find a Walther Junior rifle.

Seek and you will find.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I forgot the mention some of the differences between the Junior and Standard/Full size rifles. It may or may not make a difference.
- Weight.
- - The Jr rifle is lighter
- - Weight reduction is done by: shorter barrel, no barrel weight, shorter/lighter stock.
- Sight radius. The shorter barrel/shroud on the Jr rifle results in a shorter sight radius.
- Stock.
- - On the Jr rifles that I have seen, the pistol grip is ambidextrous. For me this is not as comfortable to my thumb as a dedicated right hand stock.
- - Jr rifle Length of Pull is shorter. I do not know how long the LoP of a junior rifle can be adjusted out to. But if you have a LONG LoP this may be an issue.

I think the action is the same for junior and standard rifles.
Not all standard rifles have a junior model.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Tonights stupid question...... You guys do shoot of an offhand stand, right??
A GOOD offhand stand is vital to being able to shoot a 60 round session for me......
JimmyO

Post by JimmyO »

The offhand stand can only be used between shots while resting and loading the next pellet.

Jr rifles also have lower quality sights and triggers. Same action and I THINK the same regulator.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Understood, but going from a very well set offhand stand to the shoulder and back is so much easier than hoisting a heavy gun....... And I see few people using them outside of contest set ups....
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Jr rifles also have lower quality sights and triggers. Same action and I THINK the same regulator.
You should check the sights on the rifle you are interested in.
This may differ from company to company, and even model to model.

My P70-Jr, has the same sights as the full size P70.