Fixing dead battery Walther SSP-E

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
CamelNL

Fixing dead battery Walther SSP-E

Post by CamelNL »

When you use a wrong charger your battery will break and you cant use your Walther SSP-E anymore. Mine broke 2 times and it was about 3 months away from me before i got it back after repair service. It broke down again and i was talking with a technician with Walther and he send me some repair parts so i can repair it myself. Its 30 minutes work if you got the right Equipment. I will explain everything i did how i fixed my weapon.

1. Separate the upper from the lower (the 3 screws on the front of your pistol).

2. Push the pin out (See photo below)

3. When the pin is out you can push the whole trigger unit forward. (You push it forward then you can lift it up.

4. When you have the trigger unit in front of you you see the battery on the bottom. Its is fixed with two sided glueing tape.

5. Disconnect the battery and connect the new one.

6. Put it back together

Thats it. Dont do anything stupid if you don't think you can repair it bring it to a local shop.

I hope i'm helping some people with this.

The battery you need:
https://www.conrad.nl/nl/renata-lithium ... 52019.html
Batteryreplace.jpg
Batteryreplace2.jpg
Rover

Re: Fixing dead battery Walther SSP-E

Post by Rover »

Man, I don't even have one and I liked that!
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Did your problems come about due to using the wrong sort of charger? Are their limitations on type of charger you can use?
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

I think I used a broken charger. The charger i used was a 5volt 1amp (chinse brand) When i use my HTC charger or on the pc it charges fine.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Thanks very much for that How-to and for the (for us as manufacturer) relaxing info, that the dead battery was obviously caused by a wrong charger (or was the battery still "alive" and could only not been charged with that broken charger?)

We supply the pistols complete with a 5-V-charger and recommend to use that, and the connection via USB and computer is also safe and reliable (okay, it may cause some raised eyebrows if you do it in your office, with the gun aside the keyboard...)
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

I tested the batteries with a multimeter and the broken one only gave 1.2 volt. After 30 minutes of charge he didnt fill up. The new battery gave 3.6 volts out of the box. After charging he gave 3.8. Im not gonna use a wall charger again. Im gonna buy myself a small batterypack so i can charge it very slowly so it will not break again.

Your co-workers just send me a new original battery and charger im waiting for that now to arrive.

About charging it at your desk. Once i was on my way to a competition and was totally forgot to charge it. I charged it in my USB plug from my car :P.
David M

Post by David M »

Lithium batteries are great, but they benefit from a little extra care.
For Li-poly battery a fully charged cell would be 4.2V per cell.

The nominal cell voltage is 3.7 v, and a fully discharged cell for long life should
not go below about 3.0v (better lower limit is 3.2v or 20% remaining).

The critical discharge voltage is 2.5v, at this level the cell is damaged and
cannot/should not be used.

The more serious issue is overcharging. If one cell gets seriously over charged
getting well above the desired 4.2V top charge. This can result in pack failure
or can cause the over charged cell to "vent with flame". ie FIRE

I don't know the Walther circuit, but a properly designed Li-Po battery setup should
have both a over voltage and under voltage protection circuit as well as a automatic
charger circuit for Li-Po.
Attachments
li-po discharge curves at room temperature.jpg
li-po discharge curves at room temperature.jpg (13.24 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
Leon

Post by Leon »

CamelNL wrote:I think I used a broken charger. The charger i used was a 5volt 1amp (chinse brand) When i use my HTC charger or on the pc it charges fine.
I have to ask why didn't you use the charger supplied with your SSP-E?
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

The first charger I got was this one. According to the manual every charger should work. On the other hand it's not sure what caused it to break, and I'm not gonna find that out.
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

Yesterday I received a package from Walther with the new battery and charger.
David M

Post by David M »

CamelNL wrote:I tested the batteries with a multimeter and the broken one only gave 1.2 volt. After 30 minutes of charge he didnt fill up. :P.
This time if a cell falls below 3.2v charge it, if it falls below 2.5v scrap it, DO NOT attempt to charge/overcharge a LiPo or you risk a FIRE.
Lots of LiPo information and fires on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3o_2mwRPdw
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Is there anybody out there wanting to share their experiences with Walther SSP or SSP-E.
Leon

Post by Leon »

jbshooter wrote:Is there anybody out there wanting to share their experiences with Walther SSP or SSP-E.
I've had the SSP and now have an SSP-E..

What do you want to know?
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

Leon wrote:
jbshooter wrote:Is there anybody out there wanting to share their experiences with Walther SSP or SSP-E.
I've had the SSP and now have an SSP-E..

What do you want to know?
Same
Martinmarx

Post by Martinmarx »

The gun is brilliant in many aspects and shoots very well. It instantly helped me improve my results quite dramatically (from 43 to 45 on average). It is quite an expensive pistol but I feel it is worth the money as there are so many different settings available, dry practice possible, and the sights are just awesome. I would strongly recommend it.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I would like to add to CamelNL’s post regarding a battery change in the Walther SSP E.

Before trying to press out the pin holding the trigger assembly in place first loosen the grub screw from above that locks the pin securely otherwise damage will occur.
Once loosened the pin requires almost no pressure and the job is easily performed.
David M

Post by David M »

The battery 401230 is a lithium polymer or lithium ion battery which is 4mm x 12mm x 30mm in form factor size.
It is a single cell 3.7v battery with a JST plug. Cells vary from 80-120mah capacity.
This cell is available in two forms, with or without the built -in PCB charger board.
It looks in the photo like the Walther battery has a PCB mounted on the cell end and standard JST-SH (1mm pin) plug.
The PCB board has a under and over voltage cut-out to allow charging from a 5v source such as a USB port or charger (provided the USB output is sufficient).
Check that your charger has sufficient output, the default output of most is only about 100ma (max. output is 500mah).
The cell without the PCB will require LI-Po charge for charging a 1S cell at 0.5 to 1C.
These cells are available on the internet for $6-$15.
You may need to purchase the plug separately.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Genuine Walther part supplied for the equivalent of $30 USD. Plug & Play.