.32 S&W Long WC Loads

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rkittine

.32 S&W Long WC Loads

Post by rkittine »

Hi,

I did a search and did not find exactly what I was looking for.

I have a bunch of MagTech .32 S&W Long WC factory ammo, which will provide me a bunch of once fired brass. Bruce at Star Machine Works is building me a Star Progressive reloader set up for this caliber with 98 grain Solid Wad Cutters. I have to order some powder bushing from him though. Any thoughts on a good load for this caliber for Bullseye shooting? I have lot of Shotgun and Pistol powders in my magazine.

I will be shooting this ammo in a Benelli MP3S and a Sig Hammerli P240.

Thanks, Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
renzo

Re: .32 S&W Long WC Loads

Post by renzo »

Don't know if your pistol will like it, but 1.8 gr, B'eye worked like char in mines.

I stopped using it because B'eye isn't the best metering powder, and changes for the same load od Accurate # 2 (also this was a factory recomendation)
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Thanks Renzo, I have a bunch of Bullseye, so I certainly can try that. Will use my Harrell's Pistol Powder Measurer and Scott Parker Scale first.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
DGIDE

Post by DGIDE »

WST is great in this round. Meters very well, clean burning also. 1.7 or 1.8 of it and a 98gr HBWC out of a Pardini works very well.
David M

Post by David M »

Hammerli SP20 .32 swl, ISSF 25m load
98g HBWC 1.8g Bullseye ... 760 fps
98g HBWS 1.5g VV N310 ... 727 fps
90g Cast BNWC 1.6g VV N310...785 fps
mister G

Post by mister G »

Here's what I consider the best set-up and it's from almost 20 years ago. It comes from Neil at NSK Co. I use it with W231 or HST with a Hammerli SP-20 and my ancient Domino 603. The 2-stage seating allows for a slight roll crimp using the Redding Profile Crimp Die.

"We load this cartridge commercially. Although it looked fairly simple and straight forward, there were some minor adjustments that were required. First, we use the Speer HBWC, I think it is 98 grs. Next, and this required a small charge bar from Dillon, we use 1.9 grs of W231. We seat the bullet, this is the tricky part, requires a two stage seating process, a few thousandths below the mouth of the case. We roll crimp the mouth of the case over the bullet. Making sure that we do not deform the leading edge of the bullet. For a primer, we use WSP.

RCBS made a seating stem for us and we combined two different die sets to get all of the components situated the way we wanted them. I think the final component that we settled on was a Redding Profile Crimp Die, this gave us the most uniform roll crimp that we could find.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,
Neil
NSK Co."
mister G

Post by mister G »

Sorry, I meant WST powder, not HST (which does't exist)
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

1.4 vv310.
I have a slightly conical cavity in the 1/4" charge bar in my Star, so l am not sure, but my guess is that a straight walled hole of 5.5mm would be just a bit less.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Thanks for the info. Bruce seems to be pretty knowledgeable about powder densities and meterability and what size bushing he needs to provide. I might work up loads with my regular dies prior to getting the bushings for the Star.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV