NEW Orion Athena electronic scored targets.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

SPPcoach

NEW Orion Athena electronic scored targets.

Post by SPPcoach »

Just watched yesterdays YouTube presentation on the Orion Athena electronic scoring system.
Works for 10m air pistol and rifle AND 5m BB gun. :-)
This has me excited that we can afford something that was previously out of financial consideration.

News release from the airgun wire.
https://airgunwire.com/orion-scoring-sy ... 25%2C+2020

I love that the spectator monitor can be programmed with other information; next relay starts in . . . thank sponsors, announce upcoming deadlines for matches, celebrate someones birthday, display athlete bios, any information that engages the spectators but would distract the athletes.

And it has red and green lights to communicate to the shooter. That makes it a GREAT training tool for 25m rapid fire.

At ~20minutes remaining in the video he states that the target ONLY price would be about $720

Skip forward 13 minutes to miss the static.
https://youtu.be/OxIkEzsMA_Y
Last edited by SPPcoach on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTFish

Re: NEW Orion Athena electronic scored targets.

Post by CTFish »

SPPcoach wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:47 pm
At ~20minutes remaining in the video he states that the target ONLY price would be about $720

$1400 didn't interest me but $720 is workable. Let's say I build my own stand and bring my own tablet.

I'm a bit confused if the processing / scoring / pretty pictures on monitor are done locally or in the Orion cloud.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

CTFish wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:31 pm $1400 didn't interest me but $720 is workable.
Yup. Me too.
CTFish wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:31 pm I'm a bit confused if the processing / scoring / pretty pictures on monitor are done locally or in the Orion cloud.
Not sure but i think to use the $720 target you HAVE to be on the cloud.
If you have the whole $1,400 system it is recomeended to be on line but not mandatory.
I can live with that.
Modena

Post by Modena »

No mention in there about accuracy or ISSF certification ? Does anyone know what accuracy this thing will provide?
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Modena wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:59 pm No mention in there about accuracy or ISSF certification ?
Athena wrote: The NC100, Athena’s electronic scoring target, routinely scores shots with .1mm accuracy or better within the aiming bull. Outside the aiming bull the accuracy is .2mm or better. Athena is also the world's first, and only, EST with live verification. Meaning the athlete can view an image of each shot showing precisely how Athena scored it.
Athena wrote: Is Athena ISSF Certified?
No, it doesn’t need to be. ISSF certification is intended for the explicit use in ISSF competitions. Athena is intended for entry and intermediate level clubs, well outside of the ISSF interests.
Certainly sounds accurate enough for home use and club use, and more affordable than other alternatives.

There is a detailed FAQ with a lot of answers about internet, prices and capabilities.
I like that they are proactively communicating.
https://support.orionscoringsystem.com/ ... thena.html
arpcat

Post by arpcat »

Has anyone had a chance to use one of these yet? Sounds like they shipped a lot of them but I can't find any reviews from users?
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Need to hear from Athena owners and users.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

SRichieR wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:48 am Need to hear from Athena owners and users.
Agreed. This sounds pretty great for home use, but I'd like to hear how they're getting on in the real world. I'm looking at one of these or an InBand. In the meantime, I'm using my homebuilt target camera and Mark I eyeball.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Just got new InBand electronic system-I am in Canada and no supplier up here so challenge to get it but finally arrived and I have to say I am quite pleased with it-seems to work flawlessly and as far as I can tell very accurately. Unfortunately I am old guy with wobbly hands so can't keep every shot in black but system even keeps up with my odd flyer. Very easy to assemble and set up-software seems basic but does all I need for my basement home range. Price, if you avoid all customs, taxes and trans shipping to Canada, is cheap compared to what else I researched as out there and actually for sale. Sure beats walking down and manually swapping targets out then wondering ok is that a 9 or maybe just a ten! Have to go to Kruger Europe for paper roll and target faces but unit comes with enough stock to last for quite a while.
JMHollowell

Post by JMHollowell »

My understanding is the "Home" version has not been developed as they are still working out minor kinks in the range version.

There is a range in Virginia that is their beta test site & they are there quite a bit making final tweaks.

I have also been told there have been some production slow downs due to the availability of some of the components.

From what some of the people at the beta range have told me, the system works very well & will be an affordable alternative to SIUS or MegaLink
once finalized.
rec4309

Post by rec4309 »

oldman wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:42 pm Just got new InBand electronic system-I am in Canada and no supplier up here so challenge to get it but finally arrived and I have to say I am quite pleased with it-seems to work flawlessly and as far as I can tell very accurately. Unfortunately I am old guy with wobbly hands so can't keep every shot in black but system even keeps up with my odd flyer. Very easy to assemble and set up-software seems basic but does all I need for my basement home range. Price, if you avoid all customs, taxes and trans shipping to Canada, is cheap compared to what else I researched as out there and actually for sale. Sure beats walking down and manually swapping targets out then wondering ok is that a 9 or maybe just a ten! Have to go to Kruger Europe for paper roll and target faces but unit comes with enough stock to last for quite a while.
We got our rolls from Jeff at SIUS USA
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

CTFish wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:31 pm Let's say I build my own stand
For the money and time that would be required to build a stand I would opt for this for $40
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-stor ... -5107.html

Or this for $60 if I wanted the taller 35" height.
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-stor ... 97541.html
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Modena wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:59 pm No mention in there about accuracy or ISSF certification ? Does anyone know what accuracy this thing will provide?
This is interesting.
I wonder what "USA Shooting Approved" means.
https://www.orionscoringsystem.com/orion/Home.aspx
Attachments
Orion webpage.png
Orion webpage.png (100.62 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

SPPcoach wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:51 pm
Modena wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:59 pm No mention in there about accuracy or ISSF certification ? Does anyone know what accuracy this thing will provide?
This is interesting.
I wonder what "USA Shooting Approved" means.
https://www.orionscoringsystem.com/orion/Home.aspx
Can be used for state junior olympic qualifiers and pto's?
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

bdutton wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:43 pm Can be used for state junior olympic qualifiers and pto's?
That makes perfect sense.
I have three athletes at J.O.'s that start their Day 1 competition tomorrow. They all qualified on the Orion scoring system last December.