Olympic Pistol = Precision Shooting

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GoodEnuf

Olympic Pistol = Precision Shooting

Post by GoodEnuf »

Sort of a reply to an implicit call to assess the current state of the forum...

What keeps you in the game? I bet most of us will admit (proudly) it may be the satisfying internal challenge of doing better than we did yesterday. How can we improve, tapping into that satisfaction and having fun while doing it? "Practice?" Buying a better pistol or different equipment? Research how the 'pros' do it? Watch videos? I think all of the above, and much more, including being able to ask others about technical and subjective issues on this forum. That's what precision is all about...no single strategy will work, it is the sum of all things, as is success in all activity where precision is the goal.

I try to read all the posts on this forum and some posts on others, and have been doing so for 20 years. Each post has the potential for a new discovery; a few are ridiculous, but most of them seem to be honest attempts to elucidate, to entertain and to generally add to the fun of it all.

I can't help but notice that avid posters have come and gone over the years; some have stuck with it for a long time and for them I am thankful. I, too, have noticed the number of posts seemed to have declined in the past few months and speculate the virus is the cause, for a number of obvious reasons. But if reaching for precision is an ultimate goal, I believe a core group will continue to supply value to this forum.

Some shooters get little satisfaction in hitting 1/8" closer to center, or moving a group 1/4" to the left. They would rather just hit the target sometimes. That is their goal and they enjoy doing that. Some of us obsessively will only settle for more precision. Competition may be temporal, trying to improve relative to ourselves. "Picky details" are required for that last bit of precision.

One last observation: Frequently a question is asked that has been addressed in the past on the forum. A member of the core group may recognize this and enjoins the poster to search past postings ___15 years worth, not counting the archives. Well, there is very little new under the sun, and probably true, the answer may be found in the past. But a key reason to ask questions is to communicate, to exchange ideas, to participate. To discount a question because it has a history may prune the forum of new or occasional poster from posting. Like they once said of physics in the late 1800's, there was nothing new to be discovered and a student should direct his interest elsewhere. Maybe, that feeling is partly responsible for diminishing participation on the forum. Maybe advise the poster of history, but recognize that "the" answer is not all they are searching for.

So, to achieve precision, we should keep chipping away, detail by detail. That is to me, the true value of this forum. And its fun to read.

JE, long time reader but posting only recently.
Reporting from the Cascade Subduction Zone...
Mike M.

Re: Olympic Pistol = Precision Shooting

Post by Mike M. »

I'm in it for the joy of competition...and once in a while, the joy of victory.

In 1976, the U.S. sent its first team to the World Muzzle-Loading Championships. I knew some of them - and they came back with stories of traveling to distant, exotic lands. Meeting exciting, unusual people. And winning bushels of medals.

And I decided that I wanted a piece of that action. It took twenty years of practice to get onto the U.S. team. Another twenty-two to win an individual medal.

Taking that last step onto the podium is an indescrible feeling.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Well said GoodEnuf.. and well done Mike M.

Perhaps several recent posts may encourage forum members to post more questions / information and hopefully invigorate this meeting place.

There is a WEALTH of information out there however sharing it is the secret.
spektr

Post by spektr »

For me its like zen and golf. I am not cleaning the target or shooting in excess of perfection, and I probably wont. Thats fine, because as an Engineer, I understand a lot of the moving parts behind the curtain, and I love that part of the game also. I build things to stretch the game. Some work, many fail but the challenge of pushing the envelope IS another game unto itself. I have a 83 grain 45 round Im working on for Bullseye because I wondered if it would work. I compete when I can, but i dont have both feet any more so wobbling is the new norm.......
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I love to shoot, but don't shoot that well, but any kind of competition, even if I come in dead last spices it up for me.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
Rover

Post by Rover »

"wobbling is the new norm."

I hear that a lot from "wet" shooters.
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

Great to share with like minded people who enjoy shooting..
hurt

Post by hurt »

Spektr.... i would love to hear about that 83gn .45!!!